News: Reduced Attraction Operating Hours *Updated*

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PeteB

Makes you wonder doesn't it... if all these food outlets and shops are unprofitable then why were so many of them built in the first place? Surely each and every one was opened for a reason and must have been profitable.
mikey_mcl

In terms of closed shops, I visit the park 2-3 times a month, and I have still yet to see UNIT N:ST actually open! I heard it was meant to open on peak days, I went last Bank Holiday and it was even closed then!!
Coke

mikey_mcl wrote: In terms of closed shops, I visit the park 2-3 times a month, and I have still yet to see UNIT N:ST actually open! I heard it was meant to open on peak days, I went last Bank Holiday and it was even closed then!!
I would guess that is also a cut  :lol:

Are you thirsty?
PeteB

I think the most disappointing thing to come out of all this is the lack of choice when it comes to food. Alton Towers is probably the best theme park I've ever been to for choice and variety.
merm

I just think it must be so annoying to the general visitor regarding thirteen it is as per advertising still one of the flagship rides and as you all will know still a early day crowd puller. Things like this are the difference between people making repeat visits or going home not happy.
I also think the coupons they are giving out on entrance giving 20 percent discount on food etc is so annoying for a merlin pass holder.

As has been said on here before I also dread what they will do with scarefest this year
Let our dreams become your nightmares
AirFAN

I think it goes without saying decisions like this aren't taken lightly. Alton Towers have likely weighed both the positives and negatives and will continue to do so after the changes have been made - the majority of visitors aren't likely to question or even notice the change (depending on how it's been communicated to guests) and will plan their day accordingly.

Someone who mentioned previously the changes were ridiculous and this hasn't been seen in any other industry is clearly living on a different planet - the retail industry for one is changing drastically both behind scenes and at the coal face.

The park has clearly looked at demand, operational costs and a mixture of the two and have developed a list of rides that would benefit from being closed for an extra hour in the morning. I think most people will be able to appreciate necessary cost cutting, especially if it means they aren't having to spend more money as a result. Ultimately Alton Towers have to be careful to ensure they're still delivering an experience to guests that meets or exceeds their expectations - closing a few rides for an hour isn't likely to cause great offense - it means people will have to take a different approach to planning their day. 
Adam

From the TowersTimes Homepage:
TowersTimes News wrote:Today it has been confirmed that Alton Towers have decided to reverse the reduced attraction operating hours after only 5 days in effect.

Over the past 5 days, certain attractions did not open until 11am including; Th13teen, Air and Duel.

The move attracted negative reactions from members of the public and our very own Forum members. Currently the exact reasons behind the reversed decision have not been confirmed, but it is widely believed to be due to the negativity received.

Commencing from tomorrow, Alton Towers will go back to it's previous ride schedule and only stagger the openings of water rides; The Flume and Congo River Rapids, which will open at 11am as normal.

How do you feel about this reversed decision? Post your thoughts in our forum: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-to ... urs-32728/

:)
Last edited by Adam on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
PeteB

I'm actually lost for words over this farce! All I can say is LOL!
Boz

You know what, I actually thought this one would stick. It is becoming a joke i think, that's not to say i didn'y want it reversed :)

I think there is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, between Towers managment and Merlin.
I would guess the last meeting went
Merlin: "you still need to cut X amount of money from your spend. how about late starts on certain attractions"
AT: "hmm, ok we will put that into effect on 10 attractions saving X amount on staffing costs"
towers then go away and put it into effect, and include 2/3 major attractions they knew the GP wopuldn't stand for.
*a few days later*
AT: "we've had this feedback from our visitors and fanbase, it's not going to work, so we're ending it"
Merlin: "ok then lets meet back here in two weeks to think of something else"

obviously i'm just poking fun at the situation, but i'm beggining to think AT really are doing things in such a severe way, that they know they'll get a negative reaction, and thus be able to cancel it. perhaps it really is in AT bests interests for us all to keep moaning about it. 8)
Tom G

I think you'll find it's more likely that something like this occurs.

Merlin initiates cut.
Cut is counterproductive in terms of guest backlash and potential re-visit damage/customer complaints.
Merlin reverses cut.

There is no divide between Alton Towers and Merlin. Alton Towers manager's actual job title is Divisional Director within Merlin Entertainments. Alton Towers is not a separate entity - I think people are very confused with how things work.
Boz

Tom G wrote: There is no divide between Alton Towers and Merlin. Alton Towers manager's actual job title is Divisional Director within Merlin Entertainments. Alton Towers is not a separate entity - I think people are very confused with how things work.
is that really suprising?  :)
Tom G

Many people talk about how Alton Towers is oppressed by Merlin as if it were the British Empire strangulating an African country...it just doesn't work like that, that's all I'm saying.
Hurri

The formula is simple, and has been posted over at the UKRides forum, so I'm pinching it to post here:

1. One of Merlins establishments (or the company itself) does a money making or cost cutting exercise.
2. Everyone moans
3. Merlin put out a statement to justify it
4. Everyone moans
5. Merlin back track slightly but still do what they want. They offer some incentive, freebie. reward
6. Everyone gets pulled in and accept it.
7. Merlin are happy
8. Customers are happy as they think they got a deal or one over Merlin, but in reality they didnt.
9. Wait a few weeks / months and the process starts again.

Obviously they don't always do every step, but it's pretty solid!
stu1980

This is good really - water rides yes cool but the rest was just pure bad. Ive had 3 emails this week asking for my views on the MAP and parks i plan to visit this year and made my points clear on them so it is good in a way they are taking note but the main fear is whats going to come next - its a joke already tbh but lets wait and see.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
PeteMadden

I'll settle for that
jackgcse

I feel Alton need to argue the toss to Merlin Entertainments management that any cost cutting saving that will significantly have an impact on guest satisfaction, or guest aggravation from something that was otherwise not a problem last time a guest has visited, this will therefore cause a backlash from guests and there experience, and because of this Alton will receive nothing more than a lowering appreciation of the Resort, and therefore will reduce the number of willing, paying guests.

The resort really need to declare, that if any drastic cost cutting techniques are used, they need to ensure, they achieve the aim, in a mature, and professional manor, this means that they should not introduce such changes until the 2013 season, upon which they can start a fresh, and by declaring the situation towards paying guests at the beginning of the season, guests will have no reason to complain, because it was declared from the beginning, and also looks, less of a drastic change, because it was initiated from the very start, this means ‘there never was a change to the system’ because each year is taken as a new start!

Hope you guys understand the post! 