Family room for 4 adults? More like 2 adults and 2 hobbits.

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lewdboy

Hi! Just checked into Splashlandings hotel tonight. 2 guys & 2 gals. All just mates so no double beds required! Booked a single room to sleep 4 adults as this seemed to be more cost effective than two twin rooms.

Problem is, we've been given a room with two single beds and two child size bunk beds. We questioned this with the porter with our luggage and he said all the rooms for 4 were like that.

Between us all, we're all pretty tall - 5'8" minimum and these two bunk beds are clearly for persons/children less that 5' tall. I'm a bit annoyed because we did clearly book a room for four adults as stated on the reservation and feel as if this is a bit inadequate. We're here for 3 more nights and to sleep in a bed that you can't fully extend your legs in (because it's like a sandbox) is going to be pretty rough.

I'm not sure what to do. What do you think they'll do if i complain? Worth it? Your thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Jo
AstroDan

To be honest, I have slept in those bunk beds and it's generally fine for sleep. I am 6'0.

As much as it is a little cramped (rooms in ATH are bigger), it's the norm. Go to any theme park resort - Disney, Europa-Park, Phantasialand - you name it - and if 4 adults book a room together, it'll be just like the rooms in Splash Landings.

There's not much you can do, really.
Coke

I would speak to Hotel Reception - they might be able to help and AT are usually very accommodating. I don't know if they are better but Alton Towers Hotel has rooms with sofa beds instead of bunk beds. I don't know whether they are any better?

Are you thirsty?
lewdboy

AstroDan wrote: To be honest, I have slept in those bunk beds and it's generally fine for sleep. I am 6'0.

As much as it is a little cramped (rooms in ATH are bigger), it's the norm. Go to any theme park resort - Disney, Europa-Park, Phantasialand - you name it - and if 4 adults book a room together, it'll be just like the rooms in Splash Landings.

There's not much you can do, really.
That's the kind of answer i'm expecting to hear at reception - ie not what i want to hear. Do you work behind the desk or something?!

Anyone know what their policy is? Can't be the first people to be a bit miffed about this.
AstroDan

I really don't work behind the reception :P

But I have never had a major issue fitting in the beds. Yes it's cramped, but it's quite normal in resort theme parks.
The Terminator

I don't think I've ever stopped in a hotel that has a family room for 4 adults. Clues in the name really family room. If staying with 4 adults book 2 rooms. Doesn't really help you I'm afraid but you'll know for next time.
I WILL be back
Brett

this is a good point you booked a "family" room for 4 people, if they did adult rooms for 4 people they would have given you one, but they dont, so im assuming they thought you would know a family stands as 2 adults 2 children.
lewdboy

Brett wrote: this is a good point you booked a "family" room for 4 people, if they did adult rooms for 4 people they would have given you one, but they dont, so im assuming they thought you would know a family stands as 2 adults 2 children.
On that assumption, the hotel would not sell to four 'adults' as the room would not be fit for purpose?

I'm also starting to get the feeling that i'm sleeping in some kind of creche/playroom. Do you think they've made a mistake? The room just feels so juvenille.
Coke

No all the SLH rooms are the same!  :P  You could always ask to move to ATH like I said - I prefer the atmosphere!
Last edited by Coke on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you thirsty?
garyh

Ask for a room in alton towers hotel and ask for one with the sofa bed in it - its a single bed with a pull out bed underneath - no bunks in those rooms.
Islander

To be fair, I'm really not sure what you expected when booking a family room for four adults - as has been said, they're family rooms, designed primarily for families. Doesn't mean they don't accommodate four adults (and as such they'll certainly be booked out to groups of four adults), but it's reasonable to expect that it'll be a little cramped.
Sazzle

Have a fantastical stay at the Alton Towers Resort!

In seriousness, the Splash rooms are cramped. However, I visited Hotel Cheyenne at Disneyland Paris in October and the rooms were absolutely identical.

If you wanna be tight with money, expect to be tight on space! Sorry :).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Rob L

Like most others have said, it's not ideal but it's just what you get in family rooms at theme parks. However I have stayed in the Splash bunk beds many a time and never had a real problem with them regarding length, and I'm 6 foot 1 or 2. It is better over in ATH regarding space. I think when booking a family room you have to remember that although they can accommodate 4 adults they are primarily designed for families so will be a little cramped.

:)

gforcejoe

Ha, you've not been to Butlins then, those beds are TINY and they are sold for adults to sleep in.

It's not home, it's just for one night.  The rooms are marked as being family rooms and the bunks are for the kids.
DiogoJ42

The best solution is to go to Ma's bar and get so drunk that you don't care where you sleep. ;) Works every time for me.
CoasterCrazyChris

Sazzle wrote: Have a fantastical stay at the Alton Towers Resort!
Do you work for their marketing department or something?? :P
jenbax

I went in May and i was there i was with my brother, his GF and my other brother. Me and one of my brothers had the bunk beds. I am 5'8" and it was fine for me but my brother is around 6'1" and he hated it.

I would try the front desk because we put on our request that we didn't want bunk beds and they actually offered us a free transfer to the alton towers hotel because all the rooms at splash landings are family rooms and therefor have bunk beds. However we were only there for one night so we just took the splash landings room.

The staff were really helpful though and i was really surprised when they offered to transfer us free of charge considering the AT hotel is normally more expensiver.

Jen
PeteB

All the times I've stayed in the resort hotels I've never seen a room with 2 single beds. Is this something they've just added?

Every room I've seen has a double bed and either a bunk bed, or a double bed with a single bed that has another pull-out mattress. These rooms all sleep 4, but there are some bigger rooms that sleep 6 and again similar set up.

I would actually like to stay in a room with 2 singles as it means I wouldn't have to keep sharing the double with a mate lol!
mike_roller

Sazzle wrote:
If you wanna be tight with money, expect to be tight on space! Sorry :).
I wouldn't say a three night stay at Alton Towers is being especially "tight with money".
Themeparksandy1981

gforcejoe wrote: Ha, you've not been to Butlins then, those beds are TINY and they are sold for adults to sleep in.

It's not home, it's just for one night.  The rooms are marked as being family rooms and the bunks are for the kids.
Butins beds ain't small. I been going Butlins since 1994 and never had a bad nights sleep there. I also stopped at Disney World Pop Century,Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado Springs resort and all 3 rooms had Kings size beds in.