Alton Towers 2012 in Review

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
mrbrightside

That looks lovely! Much better than what was there before!

I remember seeing something very similar being posted in the Chessington thread though so... Might be a job lot of theming again? Even so, looks fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
siralgenon

That looks great! It also look very similar to the ones that can be found at PortAventura! Which are themed very well too! It's nice to see they are removing generic games machines and replacing them with themed units!  :D
Rocket

Theming any sort of sales booth is brilliant, has anyone seen the epic new towers street themed tills, when they press the number button is plays ride themes :)
mrbrightside

According to Theme Park News on fb work is being done on the trims on Th13teen? Anyone have details?

ImageImage
owenjones92

Hey I'm the owner of theme park news and just left the park, on thirteen it seemed a lot quicker through the outdoor section and there was scaffolding up underneath the track where the trims on the drop after the main drop, however the trims were still there

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
DONT...LOOK..DOWN
Brazilian13Guy

I've watched some videos of Towers 2012 season and i love all the theming in the rides. I was thinking that i'm wrong, but no. Alton Towers are really ugly in some parts, nemesis theme is beautiful, but the station looks strange and needs a emergencial repaint.

The X-sector, for me, is a couple of steel pieces that don't make sense, i can't see a militar or any secret area there. Hopefuly, the sw7 is coming and the original theme will come back!

On the other hand, mutiny bay, dark forest, gloomy wood and forbidden valley are good examples of excelent AT theming. The park has done these areas very well.

I'm waiting to see more improvements in the future, but i love Alton Towers for all they have.
Last edited by Brazilian13Guy on Fri May 25, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djtruefitt

A few minor updates/changes I have spotted on park today.
- Overall Hex was working alot better today, the audio in the vault was very loud and the parking didnt seem as bad as before. However the projection screen is still full of black lines and there seemed to be some strange buzzing noise from the speakers as well.

- Not much has changed with SW7 but there does seem to be a few holes in the ground, but this could be from where they are digging the old supports up.

- There seemed to be quite a few lights on the mirror section of Charlie that made that whole section much brighter than usual, im not sure if these are new or if I havnt noticed them before.

- It seemed the audio was working in either of the monorail stations when I was there today.

- There was a whole section in Duel where the targets were turned off. I also noticed a hot fan blow at us in the zombie section which I have never noticed before. And the pillar demon has also had a new sound effect added to it compared to last week.

- There is a new HB leisure game added on the grass near Spinball (where the water ball thing used to be). Its a gladiator style game, the same as they have at Thorpe where two people try and knock each other off the beam. Here is a photo:

- Finally they seem to have added a new platform under the second trim breaks on TH13TEEN, not sure why but it looks quite permanant, maybe they will be able to change the breaks quite easy. I was on the front today and it did feel alot faster than usual.
Last edited by djtruefitt on Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Charlie lights have always been there it's just that when the bulbs blow they are being replaced with slightly brighter ones.
iNemesis

The new HB Attraction looks somewhat...... funny! Will be interesting to see if many people will actually use this!
siralgenon

iNemesis wrote: The new HB Attraction looks somewhat...... funny! Will be interesting to see if many people will actually use this!
I don't think that the new HB attraction will be at Alton for the long term as the signs used etc. are only laminated paper, therefore I only think it will be standing in during the summer period.
roary01

- There is a new HB leisure game added on the grass near Spinball (where the water ball thing used to be). Its a gladiator style game, the same as they have at Thorpe where two people try and knock each other off the beam. Here is a photo:
Iam SO going on this when i got in june!!!
iNemesis

siralgenon wrote:
iNemesis wrote: The new HB Attraction looks somewhat...... funny! Will be interesting to see if many people will actually use this!
I don't think that the new HB attraction will be at Alton for the long term as the signs used etc. are only laminated paper, therefore I only think it will be standing in during the summer period.
As expected. I expect they will try & engage as many passing people into taking part. With summer, and the weather we have at the moment, this may work for them!
mrbrightside

Early Ride Time has a fancy new logo and hashtag on the website:

ImageImage
Dormiens-Dave

A few thoughts today, will get the bad out of the way first

The Bad

- Towers Street Challenge is back as you try and avoid your wallet been emptied by Merlin in a really brutish manner

- Oblivion still looks crap

- Nemesis still looks crap

- Twirling Toadstools.... still looks crap

The Good

+ Duel is the best it has been in ages, old HH sound effects are popping up and everything looks really good and well timed

+ HEX AUDIO IS LOUD!!! Whoever got behind the old girl and demanded her speakers to be sorted needs a promotion... its great to see this WORLD FAMOUS dark ride get some attention! now just sort out the projector and parking

+ Terry is much better... see relevant thread for my full thoughts

+ Staff are on top-form and worked hard on a moderately busy day

+ New themed photo-booth things in MB and GW, yeah geeks would love not to have anything "money making" but this looks much better than what was there and i'm happy

+ Park seems cleaner

For the first time in 18 months (excluding fireworks) the park had a spark of magic today

owenjones92 wrote: On thirteen it seemed a lot quicker through the outdoor section and there was scaffolding up underneath the track where the trims on the drop after the main drop, however the trims were still there
It's not scaffolding its a permanent access gantry i assume for maintenance of the trims, looks a bit "bright" though :D
NatOwls82

Im loving this thread! Ive not been since 2010 and i walk around with my eyes closed most of the time so I never really notice things lol But this thread has given me lots of new things to actively look out for and also the themes that have been there years - but ive never seen
All in all, this is a great thread! Thanks for everyone's contributions!
Looking forward to another visit on 10th July
Longy

According to 'Park-Logic' on Facebook, Hex now has a new smoke machine!
I can't wait to see this!

The park looked very good on opening day, and since the new changes that have been made over the season so far, I can't wait to visit again!

Good job Alton Towers!
Chris W

Hex's smoke machines have been working pretty much 100% for a few weeks now.
mrbrightside

One thing I forgot to mention in here was about Duel last week... It wasn't as good as it was on opening week IMO.

The cars were slipping in their spacing again, so they were getting a bit bunched up in places and the blasters cut out at various different points during the final scene; they only got to the end of the ride 1 out of the 4 times that I went on it.

Apart from that though, the effects are all still working fantastically and it is still better than last year.
ImageImage
djtruefitt

They have been changing around the audio on Duel recently, I know the undertaker and pillar demon have new sound effects (both from the haunted house apparently). However the general music around the ride is worse than ever, in some parts it doesnt even seem to be on.
mrbrightside

Ah yes music... I was going to mention that too. In places you can barely hear the soundtrack. While some people will be pleased by this, it makes the ride lose large chunks of atmosphere.

ImageImage