1989 Official Guide

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
marky.com

I'd been meaning to upload this for 23 years, so here it is at last - the 1989 Official Alton Towers Souvenir Guide in full. Feel free to steal it Squiggles for TT's archive. Apologies for the slight crop to some text - will redo them in due course.  More to come. :)

Squiggles

Oooh... now this is everso exciting. Because whilst that is the 1989 Guide, I think it's part of the rare batch that were actually sold in the 1990 season, before Tussauds bought the park. The silver sticker on the front is actually covering where the cover originally said "1989", which I can only assume was added at the end of the season to use up the remaining stock. Though it is the second edition of that guide (as the map includes the Vintage Cars, which were omitted from the original publication)

.... Yes, I know every word I've typed in the above paragraph has increased the geekiness in to a painful level. I'm sorry... I'm everso sorry. Please try to carry on with your lives.
Edwardo..... move me!
CoasterCrazyChris

Something which you really get a sense of from that guide is the emphasis on quality and providing the highest standards of just about everything. It's a stark comparison to the Alton Towers of today.

It is interesting to see how the Bagshaw Suite looked back in the day, after just watching the TT@10 videos it does look very bland in comparison these days. And where was this Multiscreen Entertainments Suite?

:)
Squiggles

The Multi-Screen Entertainment Suite was effectively the 3D Cinema, which stood where Sharkbait Reef is now.
Edwardo..... move me!
Cheese

I'll have a proper read of this when I'm awake enough to do it justice, but as one of TTF's railway enthusiast contingent, the first question that it raises is whether the former Railcar Steak Bar coach body (or mock coach body) is now outside the big brick-built place on your right as you leave Cheadle heading towards Oakamoor? I've just taken a look on Google Maps and it certainly looks the same!
marky.com

Squiggles wrote: Oooh... now this is everso exciting. Because whilst that is the 1989 Guide, I think it's part of the rare batch that were actually sold in the 1990 season, before Tussauds bought the park. The silver sticker on the front is actually covering where the cover originally said "1989", which I can only assume was added at the end of the season to use up the remaining stock. Though it is the second edition of that guide (as the map includes the Vintage Cars, which were omitted from the original publication)

.... Yes, I know every word I've typed in the above paragraph has increased the geekiness in to a painful level. I'm sorry... I'm everso sorry. Please try to carry on with your lives.
You're very right Mr - there is a sticker on the front. I won't peel it off, but I sense you're right. Much time has passed!
marky.com

Cheese wrote: I'll have a proper read of this when I'm awake enough to do it justice, but as one of TTF's railway enthusiast contingent, the first question that it raises is whether the former Railcar Steak Bar coach body (or mock coach body) is now outside the big brick-built place on your right as you leave Cheadle heading towards Oakamoor? I've just taken a look on Google Maps and it certainly looks the same!
Managed to find where you mean on Google Maps and I'd say that's it - 100%. It has the seven windows and the four white rectangles still there. I'm sure it was a Pizza Express before too?
Shockadelica

marky.com wrote:
Squiggles wrote: Oooh... now this is everso exciting. Because whilst that is the 1989 Guide, I think it's part of the rare batch that were actually sold in the 1990 season, before Tussauds bought the park. The silver sticker on the front is actually covering where the cover originally said "1989", which I can only assume was added at the end of the season to use up the remaining stock. Though it is the second edition of that guide (as the map includes the Vintage Cars, which were omitted from the original publication)

You're very right Mr - there is a sticker on the front. I won't peel it off, but I sense you're right. Much time has passed!
Well mine hasn't got the sticker and it does indeed say '1989' under it.  I think between us, Mark, we've got two guidebooks that are easily worth millions.
For the third time that day, his flaps fell off.
Squiggles

marky.com wrote:
Cheese wrote: I'll have a proper read of this when I'm awake enough to do it justice, but as one of TTF's railway enthusiast contingent, the first question that it raises is whether the former Railcar Steak Bar coach body (or mock coach body) is now outside the big brick-built place on your right as you leave Cheadle heading towards Oakamoor? I've just taken a look on Google Maps and it certainly looks the same!
Managed to find where you mean on Google Maps and I'd say that's it - 100%. It has the seven windows and the four white rectangles still there. I'm sure it was a Pizza Express before too?
Definately agree there, one end is even painted blue, which is what happened to the pullman in it's later years when it became the Laser Etch:

Credit Goes to Crofty for these pics

The reason it looks so dirty on Google Maps is because that's the side that was never seen by the public as it faced toward the Dove Cote. (And I seem to recall that side was always missing a couple fo windows too)

It was a breifly a Pizza Express. It seemed to change use almost every season as I recall it was also the Fish and Chip Pullman in its time, The Brunch Stop and even a Chinese Restaurant for a couple fo years. (possibly called Peeking Express, I think)
Last edited by Squiggles on Wed May 30, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edwardo..... move me!
blackholes crow

I was one years old when this came out! lol, epic hehehe.
Last edited by blackholes crow on Thu May 31, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''holy crap lead wasps''. ''keep low and keep your eyes peeled boys were goin in guns blazing''
''ON THE FLOOR NOW''.''STAY DOWN OR ELSE''.
mezza

Squiggles wrote:
marky.com wrote:

Definately agree there, one end is even painted blue, which is what happened to the pullman in it's later years when it became the Laser Etch:

The reason it looks so dirty on Google Maps is because that's the side that was never seen by the public as it faced toward the Dove Cote. (And I seem to recall that side was always missing a couple fo windows too)

It was a breifly a Pizza Express. It seemed to change use almost every season as I recall it was also the Fish and Chip Pullman in its time, The Brunch Stop and even a Chinese Restaurant for a couple fo years. (possibly called Peeking Express, I think)
Well that's some great detective work:  Another picture from TT here:

It had a bit of a sad demise, didn't it?  What year did it leave?
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
WillPS

mezza wrote:
Squiggles wrote:
marky.com wrote: Managed to find where you mean on Google Maps and I'd say that's it - 100%. It has the seven windows and the four white rectangles still there. I'm sure it was a Pizza Express before too?

Well that's some great detective work:  Another picture from TT here:

It had a bit of a sad demise, didn't it?  What year did it leave?
*FROM MEMORY*
My first visit was 2002, when it looked much like it does in that picture. It remained so for *at least* the next season (and possibly one more after), and I don't recall ever seeing it open in that guise.

It then was given that rather unsympathetic 'laser etch' fascia which I think lasted until about 2007, when it was completely removed. It *might* have lay empty for a period after the laser etch concession left.