The Future of The Flume

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Scott

BigAl wrote: But Alton Towers doesn't want to fall into the trap of becoming a stagnant museum for it's old rides. It's sad to see rides that you've loved and have fond memories of being removed or scrapped, but if that process didn't happen then the park wouldn't be able to offer anything new, or innovate with ever advancing technologies.

The theme park industry wouldn't work if every park hardly ever removed rides and replaced them with new ones. Think of it like the scrappage scheme for cars. You get rid of your old banger for a brand new car with more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at and it's more safer, comfortable and sooooo much more efficient, and it keeps the manufacturers going too. You'll love your old car and never forget it, but your new car will do so much more and be so much more. It's the same for theme park rides.

I'd be very sad to see the Flume go, but if something even better takes its place and brings joy to the generations that follow then that's fine by me. But while it's here we can enjoy and cherish the Flume, even if it is no Super Splash or Aquatrax!

:)
I know what you're saying, but surely they can't remove everything and keep replacing all of their rides? If it carries on in such a way it'll get to the point where Nemesis is their oldest ride and would the same approach be accepted where that is concerned? By that, I mean, because it is older than 20 years for arguments sake, it needs to go in order to make way for a new ride?

Please don't think I am comparing the Flume and Nemesis, because I am not.
The Psychoaster wrote:
BigAl wrote: But Alton Towers doesn't want to fall into the trap of becoming a stagnant museum for it's old rides. It's sad to see rides that you've loved and have fond memories of being removed or scrapped, but if that process didn't happen then the park wouldn't be able to offer anything new, or innovate with ever advancing technologies.

The theme park industry wouldn't work if every park hardly ever removed rides and replaced them with new ones. Think of it like the scrappage scheme for cars. You get rid of your old banger for a brand new car with more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at and it's more safer, comfortable and sooooo much more efficient, and it keeps the manufacturers going too. You'll love your old car and never forget it, but your new car will do so much more and be so much more. It's the same for theme park rides.
Well, seems to work for PBB!
It works for Pleasure Beach because it is a business model they've stuck to for a very long time, why change their approach to satisfy enthusiasts? Alton Towers operates in a totally different manner to Pleasure Beach when it comes to putting new rides in, Towers (as well as Thorpe) put new rides in on a more frequent basis and I think that could be down to the demanding British public more than anything else.

Pleasure Beach's guest figures don't rapidly drop if they don't build something on the scale of PMBO every four years, but if Towers went for five or six years without building a new coaster, where would that leave them? Same can be said for Thorpe.

I'll move on, because I don't want to get stuck into PB vs Towers debate, I've no intention of doing so.
BigAl wrote: I wouldn't class Blackpool as a theme park along side Alton Towers, it's a fun fair.
I wouldn't put Alton and PB in the same category either, but I think labelling Pleasure Beach as a fun fair is an unfair statement to be honest. Ten years ago, I'd of agreed, but not now, it is nothing like your average fun fair.
Sam wrote:
Scott wrote: I stand by what I've said for a while, instead of removing another classic ride at Towers, get it back to its former glory and get rid of those bathtubs in the process!

I'd hate to see the Flume removed.
By "classic", do you just mean old? Old rides aren't necessarily classic. It also has to be good to be a classic.

The Flume is a rubbish log flume. Drayton, Thorpe, Chessington and LegoLand all have better log flumes, and Alton is the biggest park in UK! Get rid of it and build a well-themed modern flume, with a bigger last drop, a backwards drop and less aimless meandering in the woods. :)
It isn't brilliant, but for me it is a Towers classic and I still stick by what I say, it would be a real shame to lose it.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]
The Psychoaster

I would expect it to go either in 2016 or 2019, I would imagine its removal and subsequent replacement would be classed as a high investment - and so would fit into Merlin's cycle every 3 years. However, I'd still prefer a giant B&M/Mack in the Air car park before anything is done with the Flume.
BigAl

Scott wrote: I know what you're saying, but surely they can't remove everything and keep replacing all of their rides? If it carries on in such a way it'll get to the point where Nemesis is their oldest ride and would the same approach be accepted where that is concerned? By that, I mean, because it is older than 20 years for arguments sake, it needs to go in order to make way for a new ride?

Please don't think I am comparing the Flume and Nemesis, because I am not.
It all depends on whether or not it's crap and much, much better rides are available that would be justifiable to replace such a ride as Nemesis. Nemesis is the best inverting coaster in the world for many enthusiasts so they aren't going to replace it as long as it's still so popular. The Flume, although it's popular with families, is easily outclassed by most other Flume rides across the UK and further afield.
Scott wrote:
BigAl wrote: I wouldn't class Blackpool as a theme park along side Alton Towers, it's a fun fair.
I wouldn't put Alton and PB in the same category either, but I think labelling Pleasure Beach as a fun fair is an unfair statement to be honest. Ten years ago, I'd of agreed, but not now, it is nothing like your average fun fair.
What's wrong with labelling it as a fun fair? That's not a derogatory comment. I'd say it's the best fun on the planet. Which is why I don't really compare it to Alton. PB is for classics, Alton is for modern thrills. They're popular for different reasons, so what works for one won't necessarily work for the other.

:)
Johno

I'd like to see the flume replaced with a family version of aquatrax.

Low height restriction maintained, and themed around Chinese pirates.
BigAl

The only problem with an Aquatrax is trying to get one to fit in that area without having to do much landscaping. Also, if there ever could be one, I'd like to see more water splashes and fountains as the only one that exists is just a coaster that runs over a couple of pools and there are a few jets that spray along the track. It's just a coaster with fountains. :/
BigAl

Only just noticed there are two Flume Future topics. :P

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-to ... flume/150/

Merge?
Pricey ;)

If the flume was to get replaced I would hate to see it replaced with an Aquatrax, mainly becuase I think their gloryfied kiddie coasters, and also becuase I'd like to see Runaway Mine Train replaced with one.

However I think the most plausable replacement would be an ABC flume ride, on a larger scale to Storm Force 10 with added features as it combines the families favorite flume ride with lots of added extra axcitement! Its perfect and can easily be adapted to the correct theme.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

The Flume may be old but it has history at the park. It's one of the oldest (and only decent) rides from the. Es built in the 80's. It doesn't need to be removed just be rethemed majorly.

As for making it into a super mega water coaster or fancy modern day 'Aquatrax' or whatever, no, just a simple but brilliant family water ride.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
Blaze

Aquatrax is the way forward, it always has been.

The track is thinner than a flume channel, so there won't be much of a problem with removing trees, it can even follow a lot of The Flume's layout, just makes it low to the ground and with hills.

Then build a modern flume in the old Nickelodeon building, basically a Valhalla for families.

I really love The Flume, I only realised how much I love it recently, but it's probably time to move on, to be honest.
neontrix

I think really that while the Flume has been a great ride, I would rather see it replaced than re-themed. I just find the idea of a pirate themed flume awefully typical and too 'fitting', if you get what I mean. The whole 'Bathtime' theme, while originating from a sponorship, was unique, wacky and really something that really made that flume less of a generic Log Flume and a unique expirience in itself. I just cannot imagine it with a pirate theme.

Rather than trying to get another few years out of a tired ride by re-theming, I think a replacement with a new ride, no matter what the theme is.
"We are entertainers. The fact we use concrete and steel to do our entertaining, as apposed to a piece of Shakespearean text or whatever, is... is immaterial" - John Wardley, 1997
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

The Flume is inbetween Mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon, right?! But Towers claim that it's (just) inside the Kantanga area. So instead of another blooming pirate theme flume, base it around adventure.

Kanyanga Canyon is all about adventure so theme it around that. And since there's woodland around the ride, why don't Towers spend a few 100,000 and re-theme into an adventure in the woods?

Blaze

Actually they've finally got round to placing it in Mutiny Bay on the map.

And considering it's station is well within Mutiny Bay, quite a long way from the Katanga midway, it would be just as out of place with an African theme.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

BTW guys, I watched an Aquatrax video and it looks great. Roller coaster meets water ride is a good idea but I don't love it personally.

Mainly because watching the video, the ride doesn't come into contact with water at all. No splashes or nothing. I know the ride track is over water but how can you call it a 'Water ride' if it doesn't come in contact with water at all.

Not a winner for me at the moment.

neontrix

Mainly because watching the video, the ride doesn't come into contact with water at all. No splashes or nothing. I know the ride track is over water but how can you call it a 'Water ride' if it doesn't come in contact with water at all.
I think thats what alton needs. A water ride. The flume should be replaced by and actual water ride, not a ride on water, somthing that justifies the removal of a classic.
"We are entertainers. The fact we use concrete and steel to do our entertaining, as apposed to a piece of Shakespearean text or whatever, is... is immaterial" - John Wardley, 1997
Chubba

After riding the flume  today, the old girl has to go soon in my opinion! The area could be put to so much better use with a newer water ride!
Blizzard

Personaly, I'd much favour a Mack "Manta" style coaster over water! You know with some water skims & tight banking. The ride dosent have to be high, just so long as it has plenty of "Airtime" hills, I'm satisfied! Supposing this is a launch coaster it could also pull some good + g's.:

Nothing extream though, nothing more than the thrill of air, just something tht feels good, looks good & is a great ride to spectate aswell as watch.

Anyway, JUST LOOK AT THE CARS!:

*Drools"

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Blizzard wrote: Personaly, I'd much favour a Mack "Manta" style coaster over water!
Totally agree. Although I have never rode it, Manta at SeaWorld Florida looks epic!! If Towers could do snything like that, they have another world-class ride. Plus, with no water coasters in the UK, It would add to the uniqueness of the park.

(BTW, Storm Surge DEFINETELY DOESN'T count as a water coaster!  :evil:)

cookiee_munster

whatever the replacement is. i hope the ride goes "under" the lake a'la this way... Image
Coasteraddict

Who says it HAS to be a replacement, as there's plenty enough room to have another ride there, as there's the fairly big field to the left of the que for the flume behind the turnaround thing for the rapids, and there's a large area not doing anything in the lake.

When the area does eventually get some love I would much prefer a Flume re-furb+new ride which interacts with said flume.
PeteMadden

Its either going to remain part of Alton Towers heritage, or be completely refurbished. Seeing as how they've already made some significant changes, I can't see it following the heritage route.

Change can definitely be made to the flume. But if AT are going to make change to the flume, they're going to have to weigh up costs.
I don't see why it would be a problem though, its a fantastic ride for after dinner and for children.