Closed park

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
thefatone

Tomorrow is looking to be ace weather according to BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/st10

It'll definitely all be okay tomorrow, unless a tree decides to demolish a ride in the meantime.
BigAl

The wind speed seems to halve as well. I wish I could go after school. :/
AstroDan

The weather at Alton Towers was indeed atrocious today. I have just returned home.

I left my home, which is only around 20 miles from the park, at around 10:30am - where there were winds and also rain, but nothing tooserious. It soon became apparent, though, upon arrival at AT, that the weather conditions were extremely serious.

The Monorail was not operating, and Air, The Flume, Sonic Spinball, Enterprise, Oblivion, Rita, Th13teen and Twirling Toadstool were closed due to the 40mph (circa) winds.

Trees across the park and resort were swaying considerably, and there was a lot of wood scattered across pathways.

It became clear at around 2:00pm that areas of the park were being closed off. One tree near Fountain Square was felled entirely, which was quite something to see - by a team of park gardeners (at least, I presume they were park gardeners).

The path between Hex archway and Battle Galleons was also closed, as trees became more and more at risk of collapsing over the general public.

Fences, bins and signage were also falling over as rides remained closed for safety reasons.

Never before, in 22 years of visiting, can I recall such severe winds at Alton Towers. Whilst standing adjacent to the operating Submission, an announcement came over the tannoy that the decision had been taken to close the theme park for the rest of the day (c 2:30pm).

All guests had their tickets revalidated for any day up to and including 1st November 2012. As we walked back to the car parks, there were areas where trees had snapped and wood covered the ground - some areas were cordonned off.

I managed to ride Congo River Rapids, Runaway Mine Train, Duel, Nemesis and Hex before the park closed - it really was wild out there.
shadowmaster

I must Say, how dissapointed i was when it closed the first time this month- i drove up for 4 hours because it was my birthday! :(
Hello.
thefatone

When you drove you must've seen how bad the weather was then!

I think today was almost as bad as before, but without the snow.
PeteB

roary01 wrote: Image
Oh no! Fond memories of sitting under that big old tree playing with the ducks! :(
RustyRider

After reading your post about the atrocious weather dan, all I can muster up is.. Serious kudos/lad/man points for braving the rapids despite the biting wind/rain...legend!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Chris W

I also admire anyone who braved the rapids in today's weather! :P
Ash84

Its hardly Tower's fault though, and anyone who has any beef about todays closure is mad. I'll be the first to admit I had a little dig eariler in the month, however I wasn't aware at the time that trees had fallen, and with that in mind you cant expect them to stay open.

Todays closure, with open-dated return visits is excellent customer service, and something Alton should get credit for.

Ash
DiogoJ42

Even I, one of the biggest M£rlin / Alton bashers on this site, will back them up here. Closing is absolutely the right thing to do when the weather becomes dangerous.
oldgitBEN

I agree with Diogo 100%

In this situation no-one is a winner. The park are losing out on essentially each entry payment by giving guests a return ticket, not to mention the additional spending on food, drinks, merchandise etc etc - we know m£rlin love the pennies so this decision would certainly not be taken lightly.

Yes for the guests is very disappointing, but I am sure they understand the situation.

I dont think anyone can criticise the move by alton, guest safety is the most paramount element of any theme park and when its something beyond their control no-one can criticise them.

--
In comparison, lets look at BBPBPBPPBBPPPBBP who very often close teh big one, due to winds, out of safetys sake which is fine, but no re-reimbursment is offered to the guests there, and they kind of rely on that ride as the big icon of the park.
Im not sure if they have ever closed due to weather - I would imagine so due to their location, can anyone spread any light on if they have and what they did?
formula1fan

I fully agree with the decision to close Towers again due to bad weather. If the park cannot guarantee the health, safety and welfare of its guests, then it has to close. As has rightly been pointed out, guests might be disappointed, but at least Towers compensated them. :)
Ash84

Just hang on a minute, there is a differnce between one ride down, and the entire park down. I mean what compensation was given when Hex was closed on Sat?

Of course PB dont compensate for the Big One being down for wind, how could they? The wind may drop part way through the day and it may then open, its not unheard of.

Also, to suggest they bank on the Big One...behave yourself, they did fine between 1896-1993 without it, and have done pretty well when its been closed.

I know I've given Alton some stick over the years, but having actually enjoyed my recent visit I decided to take more of an interest in this forum, now if I'm not welcome, or all I'm going to get it post's slating PB chucked back I'll bugger off, it makes no odds to me.

Ash
thefatone

Comparing Big One to Hex is a bit illogical - plus it's like saying towers did fine pre 1980 without these rides ;).

However, I don't agree that they need to actively give compensation for the big one anyway, maybe a congratulations or a "you were lucky" not to ride that awful thing.
Sazzle

The weather yesterday was absolutely atrocious, and I was surprised the park stayed open as late as it did. The sheer force of the wind was terrifying at times, with it able to near push us over at points!

Hearing that tree come down by Fountain Square was pretty scary, and I'm thankful for the fact it seemed well controlled by the staff and gardeners.

The crowds were dealt with fairly swiftly on Towers Street, as it appeared to be a quiet day anyway, and the car parks were completely empty by 4.10pm when I left (save for one car - there's always one!).

Still, Astro, James, Kaycee, Russell and myself managed to have a real good laugh. The biggest guffaws came from being sent packing, with us all proclaiming "IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CLOSED!!!" in a rather comical way, wielding destroyed umbrellas and tree branches/logs. We made it fun ;).

Let's hope that's the last of the awful weather for this year!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
ukool

Any news on if the park was open today? Hope everythings ok for the rest of the week.
starbugger1303

ukool wrote: Any news on if the park was open today? Hope everythings ok for the rest of the week.
Yeah the park was open as normal today, the weather was beautiful today. The rest of the week should be fine...

:)
DiogoJ42

The important question is, will it be good at the weekend? :P
Ash84

thefatone wrote: Comparing Big One to Hex is a bit illogical - plus it's like saying towers did fine pre 1980 without these rides ;).

However, I don't agree that they need to actively give compensation for the big one anyway, maybe a congratulations or a "you were lucky" not to ride that awful thing.
There is nothing illogical about it, they are both attractions at the parks in question.

Dont try to split hairs over this, Alton wouldn't refund or reduce entry fee's with a ride down, be it Hex, Spinball or Nemesis, so to suggest that PB should do it for the wind closing the Big One for an unforseabale amount of time is an idiotic suggestion at best.

Ash
AstroDan

For once, I actually agree with Ash. A theme park is not about to refund people if only one or two attractions are closed.

Obviously The Big One is closed quite frequently due to winds, but I would suggest most people who go there already understand this.

Winds at Alton on the other hand, like those we have seen on two occasions this year, are unprecedented.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk