Travellers on park

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
RyanY

I agree human rights should be for people who let others have there human right of having a good day out without being offended, sworn at or having to witness anything else that happened because of the travelers.
Vik

For the record, there was no massive influx of traveller today. I noted a couple (and by that, I seen no more than two :) ) of traveller families on park.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Tom G

The term actually originates from Irish Travellers, and many that reside in this country are of Irish decent. Yes, many do the play the racism card and many commit crimes, but they're still subjected to a great deal of stereotyping.
ponder

There's a lot of stereotyping and generalisation in all walks of life though. For example, just note how many times the word 'chav' is used on here, often because someone has sworn in a queue line or may have been wearing slightly sporty clothing. I'll often deride someone in beige drainpipe trousers and fake glasses as 'being from Camden'. Just because someone chooses to dress or act in a certain way doesn't mean they can play the racism card when they're called out on it.

That said, perhaps these guys could re-tarmac X-Sector. It's looking a bit shabby.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
hex4ever

Ok we have this problem every year, they are in such great numbers that resistance is futile, it sounds sad but these chavs, travellers and rude boyz just have to be tolerated, it’s like the rain spoiling a good day, its so annoying but you are just thankful that it isn’t always raining. It’s just a case of not reacting and being thankful that this isn’t an all year round problem, besides I don’t mind them because they make me feel better about my self.

Th13teen wasn't over hyped, just over anticipated
cmpunk771

[quote=""Magrathea""][quote=""cmpunk771""]Personally the main reason I make the 3 hour trip from weston super mare instead of the 1 hour 30 trip to thorpe is so I can get away from the chavs and teenagers everywhere and when I was there on sunday I would have preferred a park full of chavs over travellers.

I am moving to America next week so that was my last trip to the towers and I'm very annoyed it ended with me leaving at 4 with a very bad experience.[/quote]

The main reason I make the 3 hour trip from Weston-super-Mare instead of going to Thorpe is because Alton is a far superior park, and even if some people are choosing to mess around I can still have a fantastic day with friends. :)

Sorry to hear that your last trip for now didn't turn out so well, what prompted you to leave so early?[/quote]

I left early because me and my friends felt so intimidated, people que jumping infront of us, smoking everywhere and the mean reason we came was for the mazes and every run we did was with travelet's which was awful. The actors were scared and they were just shouting and swearing.

By 4 we just wanted to go home. Weren't really enjoying ourselfs
CoventryBee

Looks like the alcohol and baggage business hasn't stopped the typical goings on, all you have to do is search 'Alton Towers' in Twitter to see various tweets about it, including this:

Gemma Louise ‏ @GemmaDeeks  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
Oh s***, fight kicking off in the queue!! What do you expect letting Gypsies push their way through to the front of the queue

and:

Sara M ‏ @SaraMahomed  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
Think thers some sort of fancy dress competition goin on at Alton towers cz I dnt see y any girl in their right mind wud be dressed like tht
lioncount

We left the hotel this morning, Saturday wasn't too bad on park a few large groups but no trouble. Later in the evening groups started to arrive at the hotels,we ate at flambos, two traveller girls came in and ate, then left without paying. we stayed in our room in the evening as there seemed to be large groups of travelling family's in both hotels, and the high security presence was slightly offputting. unfortunately for us we had a noisy family in the next room, shouting, door slamming, screaming,banging on walls and running up and down the corridor until about 4 a.m .. I have never felt so tierd in my life. sadly they used the window as a giant bin,outside was strewn with used baby wipes and bits of litter . we checked out and left at 8:15 am.. would be interested to hear from anyone who was on site today. I'll be writing to merlin to complain, I know they can't control the behaviour of guests, but they are obviously aware of the problems and could at least warn people when they book. Given the choice I would defiantly book on a different date
AshleeK

lioncount wrote: We left the hotel this morning, Saturday wasn't too bad on park a few large groups but no trouble. Later in the evening groups started to arrive at the hotels,we ate at flambos, two traveller girls came in and ate, then left without paying. we stayed in our room in the evening as there seemed to be large groups of travelling family's in both hotels, and the high security presence was slightly offputting. unfortunately for us we had a noisy family in the next room, shouting, door slamming, screaming,banging on walls and running up and down the corridor until about 4 a.m .. I have never felt so tierd in my life. sadly they used the window as a giant bin,outside was strewn with used baby wipes and bits of litter . we checked out and left at 8:15 am.
This is why I have such a problem with travellers. Yet another example of their thoughtless and selfish behaviour. So long as they are having fun, they don't give a damn about the thoughts of others. Not about the staff who have to clean up their mess. Not other paying customers. As far as they are concerned, they come first and screw the rest. I can't wait for the day I hear of travellers going somewhere and not ruining everything for everyone else.
I'll be writing to merlin to complain, I know they can't control the behaviour of guests, but they are obviously aware of the problems and could at least warn people when they book.
They'd be accused of racism if they were to do that. But I'm sure Merlin will be very apologetic to your situation, as your experience was ruined by other guests.
Last edited by AshleeK on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiogoJ42

The trouble is, Merlin can't say to people "by the way, the day you have booked will be swarming with Gypsies" because that is "racist".
I've been there when they have been on park and it's not nice, but there is no point complaining to the park as it's not their fault.
AshleeK

DiogoJ42 wrote: The trouble is, Merlin can't say to people "by the way, the day you have booked will be swarming with Gypsies" because that is "racist".
I've been there when they have been on park and it's not nice, but there is no point complaining to the park as it's not their fault.
Merlin probably would give some sort of goodwill. When I worked at Marks & Spencer, it wasn't out of the question for us to offer goodwill to customers who had a bad shopping experience due to other customers.
lioncount

Yes, i fully understand the difficulty merlin may have, however, had they pointed out that extra security measures would be in place, then I could have looked and made an informed decision. As I said I know merlin can't help the behaviour, still think customers booking should be made aware this particular weekend is high security..
AshleeK

lioncount wrote: Yes, i fully understand the difficulty merlin may have, however, had they pointed out that extra security measures would be in place, then I could have looked and made an informed decision. As I said I know merlin can't help the behaviour, still think customers booking should be made aware this particular weekend is high security..
Again, that would lead to racial profiling. For them to say there would be extra security on park, no doubt that would lead the customer to ask exactly why that is, and then they would be told it's because of travellers. Both travellers and far-left people would complain, as that is basically saying travellers are trouble-makers.
Blaze

They don't have to say "gypsies" or "travellers". Just say that they regularly get an increase of bad behaviour on this weekend and are responding to it. No need for 'racial profiling' or whatever.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

I wouldn't waste your time of complaining to Merlin, they are aware of the problem. And if it's a heap of paying guests, they don't care! Extra security is all they can do really... or of course kick them from the park.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
lioncount

Well, I know now and won't make the same mistake. Still a discount voucher for our next visit would be nice ;)
thefatone

Contact them (phone them over the week) explaining what you experienced and they'll do something. Don't worry about it!
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

lioncount wrote: Well, I know now and won't make the same mistake. Still a discount voucher for our next visit would be nice ;)
Travellers would take offense from that, they would not want to miss out. Maybe to complaining customers they could. But not just on their exit I'm sure.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
LordOfDarkness

I don't know why Merlin don't use the Dress Code & Littering Law into full force and refuse entry to disturbing guests. It's not racism, its just a rule Merlin & the police put in place.
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
lioncount

It must be a difficult situation for the park, as many have pointed out its a p.c minefield. Granted on the Saturday the groups on the park were just having a good time like everyone else, I didn't see any fights at all. I'm just cranky because I've had less than two hours sleep and a long drive home .. luckily the kids slept through most of it..shame they woke up at 6:30. From what I've heard I'm glad we didn't decide to do the park today, I understand it has been quite rowdy