Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
W@LLI$

JAMMYD777 wrote: Sub Terra has just been on Central Tonight and as usual it has been hyped up.
Link?
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
AstroDan

I am surprised alton haven't stopped these for the time being.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
pluk

W@LLI$ wrote:
JAMMYD777 wrote: Sub Terra has just been on Central Tonight and as usual it has been hyped up.
Link?
It's possible to link to a live TV program that's just happened, is it?
Total Unique Ridecount
W@LLI$

I really wanna know about the new effects! What are they?!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
JAMMYD777

Here ya go!

SW7:
W@LLI$

It looks good from that report
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
AstroDan

I totally agree that the chamber between the first lifts and the main show room should be made use of!

Equally, the main show is just far too rushed!

Great review, Dave.
pluk

That was filmed yesterday at (the rather late) opening. I am a small dot in the background!!

They've edited them coming out well; as they approached the camera a big bloke behind shouted rather loudly "It's sh*t". I did chuckle.
Total Unique Ridecount
W@LLI$

What about the NEW effects!! Does anyone know about them?!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
Squiggles

I doubt very much there are new effects today, despite what has been said above. I'd would assume, if anything the effects that haven't been working so far might now be up and running, as there seemed to be about 5 effects reported to not be working over opening weekend.

You have to think, 4 days is a ridiculously short time to agree on, source, purchase, install and sync 5 new effects on this sort of attraction, especially with it being open to the public for 7 hours a day.

(And also it seems a little unrealistic to think there are five sofar unused effects that would be suitable to add... I'm not entirely sure a bubble machine would add much to the experiance. lol)
Edwardo..... move me!
Dormiens-Dave

Tom G wrote:
Chris wrote: If you are going on the attraction for the drop alone you will be disappointed.

The point of the attraction is that it's an overall experience with the drop adding to that experience.
I've been aware of the ride type and the dimensions of the building for as long as most people, but there was scope for the 20 foot model of tower as per Extremis at least. I was at least expecting that.

They have scrimped on every aspect of this ride and they should have just spent the entire budget on the 4D cinema, because that is also half-arsed.

They've provided sub-standard and rushed additions in both attractions as a result.
The drop is 6 meters which is standard extremis. ABC towers are 8 meters top to bottom but you factor in the height of the gondola and top mounts and its a practical drop of 6m.

We know the drop is at least 6 meters as that is the usable depth of the excavated hole. Out of interest Th13teen is 5 meters which is 15ft so Terry is about 18ft.
CoasterCrazyChris

Tom G wrote: Turning my attention to the drop, the video on this page shows how pathetic it really is.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/894280-alto ... cary-is-it

It looks around 10 feet, I really don't see the point.
We all knew how basic the fundamental ride hardware would be - four drop towers. But never did I expect it to be as pathetic as that tiny drop shown there.

The sad thing is, you can go to seaside amusuement piers and get better freefall towers than that. Unfortunately, with Sub-Terra the surrounding experience does not seem to make up for such a poor ride.

It's laughable to think that a few ticklers, added smoke and lights are going to make this a good ride. It needs major work. Would someone care to explain a breakdown of where £5 million has been spent?

I'm afraid the bottom line is this ride is just a lazy rip off of the Nemesis theme, with a touch of X-Sector style marketing thrown in. Much in the same way Hex's thematic ideas were pinched for Th13teen. We all love the Nemesis story and were keen to see the park bring it back to the forefront after all these years, but I think the truth was rehashing an existing theme and storyline was a lot easier than developing fresh, creative ideas.

:)
Themeparksandy1981

That kid gonna get bullied at school for saying on Central News that he wet his pants on that ride and that girl for not going on the ride.
destinyeternity

I went on this today and gotta say I really liked it, pretty creepy with the eggs. Got slimed on but no tentacles poking me in the back tho.
Gotta say though what Rolldercoasters4Life said about sounds of the egg cracking and scuttling noises in the dark would of been a good touch though, I dunno, the whole idea of being stuck in Nemmys lair with lots of baby Nems would be enough to scare the crap out of anyone, surely they could add to this???
jmc

Just got back from my visit today. No new effects, and still no leg ticklers. However, there were a group of important looking men in suits around the park today, a group of about 8 of them (worked for Alton as they were wearing lanyards). Sub-Terra opened mid afternoon and they were in 'the core' at the same time as myself. During the final lift everyones reactions were negative and they just shook their heads. Outside the ride they all stood by the baggage area discussing the ride, I overheard one saying that they "need to increase the fear factor", they also made bouncing gestures with their hands to each other then stood and made a few phonecalls. In total they were outside the ride for about half an hour.
AstroDan

They do indeed need to sort it.

And boy they clearly know it.
Tom G

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
Tom G wrote:
Chris wrote: If you are going on the attraction for the drop alone you will be disappointed.

The point of the attraction is that it's an overall experience with the drop adding to that experience.
I've been aware of the ride type and the dimensions of the building for as long as most people, but there was scope for the 20 foot model of tower as per Extremis at least. I was at least expecting that.

They have scrimped on every aspect of this ride and they should have just spent the entire budget on the 4D cinema, because that is also half-arsed.

They've provided sub-standard and rushed additions in both attractions as a result.
The drop is 6 meters which is standard extremis. ABC towers are 8 meters top to bottom but you factor in the height of the gondola and top mounts and its a practical drop of 6m.

We know the drop is at least 6 meters as that is the usable depth of the excavated hole. Out of interest Th13teen is 5 meters which is 15ft so Terry is about 18ft.
Seriously man, look at the video, watch the door on the left and it goes no further down than 10 feet. I could be wrong, but you have to go off the video. It certainly never felt as deep as Thirteen's drop and certainly wasn't as sharp.
Chris W

I think the drop is more forceful that Thirteen's is.
Blaze

Did we not see the images of the ride when it arrived and the official ones of it being installed?

We all knew what we were getting, there's no point trying to be surprised by how small the drop is when we knew it all along.

Not as sharp? It's gravity, they can't exactly control that.
Dar

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Would someone care to explain a breakdown of where £5 million has been spent?
Two words: Merlin. Studios.

They charge an outrageous amount for their work, with seemingly no discount for it being a Merlin park. Also, that budget should be taken with a pinch of salt. The majority of it will have gone on theming which is covered by Studios...and that's where it gets confusing.