Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Tom G

Turning my attention to the drop, the video on this page shows how pathetic it really is.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/894280-alto ... cary-is-it

It looks around 10 feet, I really don't see the point.
Chris W

If you are going on the attraction for the drop alone you will be disappointed.

The point of the attraction is that it's an overall experience with the drop adding to that experience.
ChocolateOrange

darkside wrote: Really?! Them lights are awful, and so unrealistic. They're way too close together, way too bright, just so tacky.
Actually, My lift in the university accomodation I stay in move just like that lift, so in fact it's a very realistic effect, the only issue that I believe is that it wasn't moving like a lift, which has been sorted since.
Tom G

Chris wrote: If you are going on the attraction for the drop alone you will be disappointed.

The point of the attraction is that it's an overall experience with the drop adding to that experience.
I've been aware of the ride type and the dimensions of the building for as long as most people, but there was scope for the 20 foot model of tower as per Extremis at least. I was at least expecting that.

They have scrimped on every aspect of this ride and they should have just spent the entire budget on the 4D cinema, because that is also half-arsed.

They've provided sub-standard and rushed additions in both attractions as a result.
Johno

That drop is pathetic! It appears to barely move like 3 foot?
Longy

At least the drop gives you real airtime!

The attraction itself will improve with age, as Hex did, so I'm hoping reviews will improve throughout the year.

The drop did make me jump a little, and if it was longer, it would completely ruin the point of scaring you, and the journey back up would also be too long, as the monster would eat you in that time...

I think it's a fun ride, and some others agree, but that's my opinion, and most people think it's rubbish.
I don't really know why...
PeteB

No one has mentioned anything about the music!  What's the ambience like in and around the ride?
lozzyhickers

I just had a thought.... If the towers drop at different times, surely its possible that they all drop different amounts? That way it would still be synched. The drop on my second ride seemed much longer than my first. And when we saw the photo releases of the towers, they were much higher than the video posted previously seems to drop.
lozzyhickers

PeteB wrote: No one has mentioned anything about the music!  What's the ambience like in and around the ride?
It has been mentioned previously, there is no 'music' but there lots of really good sound effects!
Tom G

PeteB wrote: No one has mentioned anything about the music!  What's the ambience like in and around the ride?
It was really cool queuing before the official queue pens opened on Saturday, taking in the ambiance of the Forbidden Valley music, which is still awesome so many years later. They should extend this audio into the Sub-Terra queue line, at least.
PeteB

Tom G wrote:
It was really cool queuing before the official queue pens opened on Saturday, taking in the ambiance of the Forbidden Valley music, which is still awesome so many years later. They should extend this audio into the Sub-Terra queue line, at least.
It is disappointing that this is probably the only ride in the last 20 years to not get its own soundtrack. However, I love the Nemesis/FV theme so much that I'm kinda glad.  Plus the area is a little small for another one.

Now, if they could just fix the Nemesis entrance subwoofer and crank that tune back up.  :D
Chris W

You can still hear the Forbidden Valley soundtrack from the majority of the Sub-Terra queueline.

It wouldn't really fit for the attraction to have a proper soundtrack, the Phalanx announcements work better than music to add to the story/ambience of the attraction.
Rollercoasters4Life

I got two rides on Saturday, one at about 11.00AM and the other at about 5:00PM and they both seemed exactly the same experience - i.e no effect differences (which some people said some things were working at different times of the day, but I did not experience any difference).

I will start with the ride staff and how I think they went to far in their roll. The bearded guy at the start was ok, but kept coming out with stupid comments such as 'You weren't with that woman a few days ago Sir' & 'Oi, your supposed to ring [insert name] today, get doing it'. Which is totally not needed for the character he is portraying although I understand he is trying to inject some humour although I don't think it is needed for what he is supposed to be doing. Then there is the bit where you are told to go into the batching area which I think a 'Quick inside you go' is fine. On the other hand I don't think saying comments about peoples appearance is within character either although maybe the odd be quiet and face the front and be prepared to enter the lifts and tell us how the batching works is fine. Just no need for the personal comments in my opinion.

The first lift was OK, but could have a better simulated effect to make it feel like you are actually in a lift. Another bug bear with me is they need some sort of roll down curtain/blind (like on Th13teen) or something to stop the light flooding in through the gaps in the lift doors as that breaks the effect of being in a lift too. The corridor after the lift is fine as you are only walking through and the rock work is fine as it is and does its job.

Now the main chamber is fine and looks intimidating when walking in and seeing a big egg in the middle. Now, the ride itself - It starts off well and then the power cut and the drop is what is is, an extremis tower drop and we all knew that from the start. The ride itself is a little too short and much more could of been done with maybe adding in another drop at least. It obviously doesn't help with the effects not all working either. Then being ushered off is great, but the ride before should of been more substantial first. Anyway, into the lift (can't really remember if there was any theming in the corridor leading to the lifts) yet again it could of moved around a little more, with the lights going out completely and loud banging noises with red warning lights flashing. I must admit, I didn't see the panels coming off until my second go as I think it depends where you are standing and facing when in the lift. For example, the first time I was stood in the left corner next to the exit door whereas on the second go I was stood pretty much dead centre of the lift. The exit section could of been better or had a little bit of theming of some sort - maybe extending the exit roof all the way to the baggage hold with some theming pieces in.

Overall it was OK, maybe with the all the effects working it will be a bit better. I only waiting about 45 minutes the first go and 40 minutes the second - which is acceptable for the ride.

What I would do to make it better is below...

The Staff:
Like someone else has pointed out, just have them staring around and trying to intimidate people. I still like the idea of them saying 'Quickly inside now' when they tell you get to the batching zones. The odd face the front, be quiet and listen up, with the batching instructions following. No insulting needs to be done by them, and it baffles me why they have been told to act like that.

The descent lift:
Could of been better and should of moved a little bit more - another thing, like pointed out above is to somehow block out the light from the outside as it ruins the effect of supposedly being in a lift. Maybe have a block out blind that comes down once the lift doors are shut, like what happens on Th13teen once you go into the building.

The main ride:
It would of been much better if the leg ticklers & back pokers were working but sadly they weren't. The bottom of the ride is a little bit wasted although they could keep it like that and add a second drop. First of all you have a power cut and you are dropped down, the lights go out and you hear egg cracking noises - then a broadcast is put over saying 'Don't worry, we have just experienced a power cut...' then the light flickers back on for a second or two and you see the eggs have cracks down them and the lights go off for a second and you are dragged back up to find that the top egg has completely hatched and they warn you to get out quickly...but then the lights go out and you drop at the same time. With the lights out a lot of noises (like scuttling around the room) and then being hit with the leg ticklers and poked in the back at different times around the room (so it feels like its moving around the room and not just affecting everyone at the same time) and maybe some water to act like drool or whatnot. With maybe an announcement saying in a frantic voice 'We are trying to get you out of there, hold on...' then seconds later being dragged back up, with the light flickering badly the restraints lift and you are told to get out quickly.

The ascent lift:
You get in, they try and reassure you that everything is OK and that it is just a power cut the voice then crackles and fades out, the lights then go off then a loud bang the red warning lights come on, panels at the top start peeling away followed by more loud bangs and a nemesis screech...you reach the surface and then are told to exit quickly. If the building was built up to the baggage hold then you could have some theming such as some equipment they use on the walls or some information about the eggs on the wall - Just to top of the theming.

There my ideas on how to improve it anyway. Nemesis Sub Terra isn't a bad ride, just not well executed and needs to be tweaked a little. Can't wait to ride when the effects are fully working and hopefully more effects are added like mentioned by some on here.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pluk

From yesterday, my thoughts.

I like the idea, I hate the execution. I actually don't know what it was all about or what is supposed to have happened, and as an enthusiast I kind of already know what it is supposed to be about, so that really is quite damning of the execution.

My Experience

With only a couple of minutes queue I was not able to get much of a back story from it, I'm guessing a short queue will be something to be expected in the future (!) so to rely too heavily on queue time to set the point of the attraction is a mistake. It should be for enhancement / entertainment only.
Bags in, stand on spots, move into lift, lift clearly doesn't move (those lights are far too direct, along with lack of movement the effect simply does not work as it stands), video plays giving a suggestion of what it's all about (looking at an egg? it might be dangerous?), but is nowhere near explicit enough.
Move through, we are strapped into our seats (no explanation is ever given as to why, from a story point of view, we are being strapped into a seat). Lights flash, seat drops. No idea why/what caused the seat to drop. Quick glimpse of some sort of cave, sit in darkness while slowly lifted back into place. Told to rush out.
2nd lift - slight shaking, and banging. I was looking for the splitting panel effect and just about spotted it (pathetic, looks like the panel has just worked loose and isn't supposed to happen). How they thought this would ever be the finale to anything I have no idea.

As we left my non enthusiast wife's first words were "is that really it?", and I had warned her it was supposed to be bad! Kind of sums up what I expect the geeral public view is likely to be.

What I was expecting

As I've said here before, an alien encounter + drop kind of affair, and I still think this is what they were aiming for but have missed spectacularly. I had presumed we would be lowered down to see the egg, it starts hatching we get pulled up to evacuate, just as we get there the hatched Nemesis/its Mum pulls us down into darkness for effects, then we are successfully rescued. It would make a whole lot more sense. They clearly can't do that now because they've built it and would have to pretty much start again to mae that work.

How to fix it

Christ knows, but it needs a lot of change. No amount of tinkering / throwing effects at it will be enough, it needs a comprehensive rethink to the story (starting with actually having one) and how that story is delivered (less rushed for a start, throughput will have to be sacrificed and somehow ending on a high - possibly with the abandonment of that second lift which is simply not fit for an ending). With the way it is built we are stuck, narrative wise, with an egg in a room, a cave bellow it and the fact we are already underground and having to be strapped into a seat. How you shoehorn that lot into a story that makes any sense is beyond me.

I don't know who was in charge of this or what they spent, but whoever it was shouldn't have been and if the figures that have been thrown around here are correct what the hell have they spent it on?

I feel bad being so negative as this sort of experience attraction is exactly what I love them doing and they should be doing, but the way this has been put together is so ill conceived it boggles the mind.
Last edited by pluk on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Total Unique Ridecount
Tom G

Nothing else atmosphere wise works on this  ride, so they might as well have channelled the Monorail buy this buy that soundtrack into the area.
darkside

less rushed for a start, throughput will have to be sacrificed
Completely agree with that. Would to now see them close it, and kind of start again. Sort out the dire effects in the the entrance lift, and an extra minute in the main ride area (extra drop and shot or two?) and about 30 seconds longer in the exit lift.
mathmos

I honestly don't believe this ride has cost nearly 5 million :evil:,everything has been scrimped on in terms of presentation and execution, it appears that whatever the budget was has been spent on certain parts of the theming and everything else has been overlooked.
I am honestly gobsmacked at the high level of bad feedback this is receiving on the net.
This is one heck of an embarrassment and I worry for the parks future with the bad reputation it is giving itself with one bad decision after another and then yet another disappointment for thrill seekers.
W@LLI$

Are their new effects in the experience now
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Lilyannn

Does anybody know what new effects have been installed today?
JAMMYD777

Sub Terra has just been on Central Tonight and as usual it has been hyped up.
SW7: