Secret Weapons - the end

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

When do you think the Sw's will end ??

Poll runs till Tue Jul 07, 2054 9:16 pm

Sw7
8%
Sw8
11%
Sw10
11%
Sw13
1%
They will stay forever - until park closes for good :( hopefully never going to happen.
62%
Sw11
No votes
Sw9
3%
Sw12
4%

Total votes: 74
Rollermad

WARNING : this is a bit depressing.

When do you think the secret weapons will end ???

You got 1 vote and 20 days to do this in. You can see results after you vote and also you can't change your vote so think about it before you press OK. I think it's ------ wait 20 days to find out. Feel free to discus below this post.
Last edited by Rollermad on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Well, we know 7 is for sure but Towers still have plenty more great ideas in them. I hanve chosen SW10 but that doesn't mean that Towers won't go on to a new series of projects...
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
JaykeAT

I think they will keep on going but they might change the name as now people now whats going to happen due to online planning permisson soo that may have a big effect
BigAl

Can we not do that please? It's not going to do anyone any good now, is it? At least say why you don't care and add to the discussion. :)

However, this is a very depressing topic that you've created. I'd never even given it any thought (and I don't suppose very many other people on here have either). I honestly don't know when or if they'll ever end. I hope they don't, but if they did get finished then there's nothing to say that they wouldn't be brought back, like with SW6. But 'SW' is just a code for 'big roller coaster', so as long as Alton continue to make good roller coasters then I'm not fussed. And who's to say that the tag-line won't be transferred to different projects like new dark rides or whatever?
Rollermad

BigAl wrote: Can we not do that please? It's not going to do anyone any good now, is it? At least say why you don't care and add to the discussion. :)

However, this is a very depressing topic that you've created. I'd never even given it any thought (and I don't suppose very many other people on here have either). I honestly don't know when or if they'll ever end. I hope they don't, but if they did get finished then there's nothing to say that they wouldn't be brought back, like with SW6. But 'SW' is just a code for 'big roller coaster', so as long as Alton continue to make good roller coasters then I'm not fussed. And who's to say that the tag-line won't be transferred to different projects like new dark rides or whatever?
Yep sorry I haven't been on a while ;/
I really doubt they will end and as everyone goes by I think they'll get better and better. Sorry I know it's a bit depressing.
Blaze

Secret Weapons are just codenames for large rollercoasters dureing development. Even if they decide to stop using the SWX format, they'll still build large, themed coasters, and we'll probably still refer to them as SWs as well.
Last edited by Blaze on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigAl

Blaze wrote: Secret Weapons are just codenames for large rollercoasters dureing development. Even if they decide to stop using , and we'lthe SWX format, they'll still build large, themed coasters, and we'll probably still refer to them as SWs as well.
Exactly. And if the park stops making big coasters then that's the end of it all! That won't happen. :)
Rollermad

BigAl wrote:
Blaze wrote: Secret Weapons are just codenames for large rollercoasters dureing development. Even if they decide to stop using , and we'lthe SWX format, they'll still build large, themed coasters, and we'll probably still refer to them as SWs as well.
Exactly. And if the park stops making big coasters then that's the end of it all! That won't happen. :)
Yeah blaze what you say is true but I'm talking mainly about SW's not SWX's also what does SWX stand for.
fredward

Hes refering to alegebra where X is equal to any number.
So SWX would equal any secret weapon past, present and future...
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Although the poll is pretty useless. This is a interesting topic, I would prefer worlds best than constant gimmicks, I think they may vary over this in the future.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Rollermad

fredward wrote: Hes refering to alegebra where X is equal to any number.
So SWX would equal any secret weapon past, present and future...

Thanks !
Jammydodger

I should imagine if they keep delivering poor results, a shake up will eventually lead to a new strategy, and in the new strategy, the ride codenames being changed.

For example a plan to recover customers from all angles by pouring money into projects in scale with THE SWARM in a few consecutive seasons. e.g Operation: Recovery 1 -- OR1/2/3/4 just an example but you get the gist.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

I doubt there will be a pattern of every three years for a Secret Weapon whenthe technology moves on Alton would want to be the first to get it wouldn't they?
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Bear

Judging by N:ST's performance this weekend, SW7 is now Alton's last opportunity to blow everyone away. That doesn't mean to have a lot of people say very different things, it means to have a ride that knocks the socks off >95% of those who ride it.

At this point we all know it's essentially a Euro-Fighter, which isn't exactly great, but they have a fairly good base from which to construct an amazing attraction. If it ends up failing in the way that N:ST did, then I think a lot of Towers fans will stop having faith in Alton's ability to put out world-class rides, and just look elsewhere.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Arguably the last true 'Secret Weapon' was Air. It was the last 'world class' addition the park made.

A Eurofighter for all its merits does not deserve the title of 'Secret Weapon' and as for Th13teen, need I go into that?
Blaze

Adz wrote:A Eurofighter for all its merits does not deserve the title of 'Secret Weapon' and as for Th13teen, need I go into that?
Since when did ride hardware come into it. I'd say 8 inversions minimum, an interlocking/duelling layout and the longest coaster to be built in the country for ages is more than worthy, let alone the huge theming pieces and the large station. Once again, all a SW is is a large scale, themed coaster that in some way is unique and innovative.
CoasterCrazyChris

Blaze wrote:
Adz wrote:A Eurofighter for all its merits does not deserve the title of 'Secret Weapon' and as for Th13teen, need I go into that?
Since when did ride hardware come into it. I'd say 8 inversions minimum, an interlocking/duelling layout and the longest coaster to be built in the country for ages is more than worthy, let alone the huge theming pieces and the large station. Once again, all a SW is is a large scale, themed coaster that in some way is unique and innovative.
If it's like SAW (or even Speed tbh), regardless of inversions, it is not worthy of SW status. They just feel too cheap and rough, and are far too common.
Blaze

You can't move for B&M Inverts these days, there must be nearly 30 of them now.

It's clearly not like Saw. It actually has a layout to speak of for starters.
CoasterCrazyChris

Blaze wrote: You can't move for B&M Inverts these days, there must be nearly 30 of them now.

It's clearly not like Saw. It actually has a layout to speak of for starters.
If I actually come off without a headache, and the feeling that i've just had the thrill of my life, as oppose to being restrained in a tiny car and tortured for several minutes (ala SAW), then I would deem the ride a success.

At the present time, I do not know enough to be convinced that we are not just getting the next SAW.

Neither, at this time am I convinced we will get an amazingly themed ride. Sure, the centrepiece looks outstanding, but asides from this there is little of note.

:)
phillipvass

I think most people only consider the B&M's to be true SW's...

Thirteen is nowhere near the others in terms of ride experience and landscaping (Yes, even Air). Until we get another B&M the last SW was Air in my opinion, and i'm very skeptical about a cramped up Eurofighter rescuing the SW's status...

It may be time to accept that the park uses this project codename as nothing more than a marketing ploy to get the fans excited, they'd probably call Rita and Sonic Spinball SW's if they were built nowadays...