Parc Asterix

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Bote

God this thing is long!

I love it! :D
RyanY

Is this the only B&M invert apart from Nemesis that's first inversion isn't a loop.

Anyway this looks awesome. :shock:
AstroDan

I hope Asterix

a) Look after it

b) Get a decent throughput out of it

Forgive my cynicism, but we all know what they're like :P

Bloody looks awesome, though! Zero G looks slow at the moment?
TB2

Pedro wrote: Here is a video from today.

You can hear in the background the music from the land.
The speed it takes the first half or so of the circuit, especially the turn around between the dive loop and the vertical loop.  :love:
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

darkside

Is this the only B&M invert apart from Nemesis that's first inversion isn't a loop.
Alpengeist, and both the Dueling Dragons.

This thing just looks so, so good.
Last edited by darkside on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightfall

As I've said for a while this is the 2012 B&M which I think has the most potential. In fact the only reason I don't think this ride will be among the greats is because everything after the ride disappears behind the station appears to just be meandering corners and nothing especial interesting. I hope to be proven wrong because as far as I'm concerned the start of the ride looks absolutely superb. Most unique opener we've seen on a B&M going all the way back to Nemesis (and some of their other new rides have been fairly original as well).
[align=center]Image[/align]
Pedro

AstwoDan wrote: b) Get a decent throughput out of it
They are expecting the queuline not to get over 1h! I'm really not sure that this is going to be true!  :lol:
Bote

Does it even have a MCBR? I can't see one. If not surely it'll only run two trains? And at around 1:30 long that's going to make throughput interesting :P
AstroDan

Bote wrote: Does it even have a MCBR? I can't see one. If not surely it'll only run two trains? And at around 1:30 long that's going to make throughput interesting :P
I make the actual ride 1 minute from lift to brakes?

It's a mid-sized B&M Invert, along the lines of Dragon Challenge.

Throughput will indeed be interesting, given that Astérix's throughput generally is, for want of a better word, crap.

:P
Bote

I was counting it from leaving the station to returning roughly Dan :P The video posted is 1:14, and the train is partway up the lift at the beginning, so I guessed around 1:30 overall :)
CoasterCrazyChris

This must the first half decent coaster at Asterix?

The rest just seems to be standard Vekomas and bobsleds. A few good water rides though it seems.

In a way this is a similar situation to Gardaland with Raptor, whereby despite being very established as a theme park, the park is only just getting its first quality coaster.

:)
Joe Koopa

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: This must the first half decent coaster at Asterix?
Have you never heard of Tonnere De Zues? That's far more than half-decent, it's one of the best woodies in Europe! :)

I do agree, though, that this coaster really will throw Asterix into a different league. I visited in the summer of 2010, and whilst I found the park brilliant, a coaster of this mantle is just what the park needed.
spark

Why did we not get something of this quality in the UK? Theming wise it looks better than The Swarm!
Pedro

spark wrote: Why did we not get something of this quality in the UK? Theming wise it looks better than The Swarm!
You've got Nemesis for 18 years now! France got its first B&M in 2010! And this is only going to be the 2nd, and the first decent one!  :P
AstroDan

Pedro wrote:
spark wrote: Why did we not get something of this quality in the UK? Theming wise it looks better than The Swarm!
You've got Nemesis for 18 years now! France got its first B&M in 2010! And this is only going to be the 2nd, and the first decent one!  :P
The poor French.

But, then again, Europa-Park is literally yards from the border.

:P
DiogoJ42

I know we Brits love to bitch about how bad the UK is in every walk of life.... but seriously, I don't think we realise how lucky we are in the coaster stakes. Take any one one the main UK parks, and the chances are it has a better ride line up than most EU countries, never mind parks! [Germany excepted, obviously]
darkside

I personally think Holland beats us by a mile, especially when you consider the size of Holland!
DiogoJ42

I did say MOST EU countries. Look at poor Ireland or Portugal for example!
AstroDan

darkside wrote: I personally think Holland beats us by a mile, especially when you consider the size of Holland!
Well, Holland is Vekoma Central. Don't get me wrong, there are some nice parks (Efteling and Walibi being the main two) but really - they don't have many compared to the UK.

There isn't a single B&M, for example, in Holland.

:)
darkside

^ But in comparison of size?

They have nice smaller parks too; Toverlan, Duinrell, Drivliet, Slagharen, and a few others that I cant spell! :lol: