The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
pluk

Although they go a dumb way about it (by falsely claiming a previous investment promise has not been fulfilled) I actually agree with the locals traffic objections. Towers does a lot for the area, but it causes all sorts of traffic chaos twice a day for most of the year, they should be made to do something about that before trying to increase visitor numbers further.

Having said that, don't want this to be delayed!
Total Unique Ridecount
Nemesis94

pluk wrote: Towers does a lot for the area, but it causes all sorts of traffic chaos twice a day for most of the year, they should be made to do something about that before trying to increase visitor numbers further.
They did try a few years back. I can't remember the full details but didn't they want to build a new access road around the back of the park (so you'd drive by the hotels to enter the car park from the east)? Cars arriving from the south (Uttoxeter road) would then by-pass Alton completely. I think they wanted to use land from the JCB test facility, but they wouldn't sell it them or something, and that's why they plan was dropped.
See my No Limits recreation of SW7 (filmed by JAMMYD777) at
Nemesis94

An update on my model now. It's very nearly finished now, just a few things to tweak and a couple of details to add. Here are a few selected screenshots.

Approaching the X-Sector sign:

SW7 from the X-Sector sign. I think it will be quite open here and you'll get a good look at the first drops:

The current location of the Black Hole entrance:

A familiar view to us all, this is what it will be like in 2013 (fingers crossed!):

From the exit of Enterprise:

From Oblivion's entrance arch:

Like most of Alton's coasters, I like how you can't really see the whole of SW7 from a single point (it's mainly hidden being it's tangled web of track). The best view is from above. I've touched this one up in paint so you can see it a little better:
See my No Limits recreation of SW7 (filmed by JAMMYD777) at
Morgano

Environmental Health  No objection subject to conditions. Confirms that the potential areas of environmental concern to be demolition works, construction works and the actual operation of the rollercoaster. Advises that the proposed ride is a similar type to the ‘Saw’ at Thorpe Park and is made by the same manufacturer according to the noise report and so the predictions as set out in section 5.6 of the Noise Assessment are accepted. Confirms that the typical experience of the Environmental Health Department with complaints against this theme park have related to the noises from passengers screaming and wheel on rail rolling noise Also confirms that  there have been previous issues with new park rides which Alton Towers management have addressed when complaints have been raised.
The Noise Assessment submitted by Atkins has taken account of the nearest noise sensitive properties to the ride and the projected noise impacts indicate that Pink Lodge will be the most likely to be caused annoyance by the new rollercoaster. The applicant has justified the development in regard to this property by comparing it with the prevailing background noise levels at this property which are higher that the projected noise impact of the rollercoaster.
Hmm Gerstlauer obviously, but this is different wording to the previous document. We now have "similar type" instead of the "same type".

Reading further there is this:
It confirms that noise measurements at selected locations around a similar ride at Thorpe Park were used as the basis for modeling and predicting the noise levels from the proposed ride.

The Environmental Health Officer has considered the NIA and raises no objection subject to conditions.  He confirms that the proposed ride is of a similar type to ‘Saw’ at Thorpe Park and is made by the same manufacturer and as such the predictions as set out in the NIA are accepted. 
Last edited by Morgano on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

thank god if that statement doesn't put the whole who's the manufacturer argument to bed once and for all i don't know what will
there it is in black and white people the SAME manufacturer

we can still debate the type though :P
Dormiens-Dave

Months of defending TTF's position on the title of this topic pays off

:D
Johno

I think the interesting thing for me is the fact that it states its a similar ride type. no longer the same!
James

I thought that too. I have my bet on a radical redesign of the Eurofighter design - possibly a new car design (with some new elements unseen by Gerstlauer?). It certainly makes this project more exciting in my eyes.
Bear

I have a feeling the trains will be like a Eurofighter one, but with an extra 2-3 cars in between the front and back ones. That would look awesome! Think of the throughput.... droolll
RustyRider

How dare the English heritage say that the black hole site has no "historical significance" :x :evil:
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Ryan.

pluk wrote: Towers does a lot for the area, but it causes all sorts of traffic chaos twice a day for most of the year, they should be made to do something about that before trying to increase visitor numbers further.
Apologies, I realise this is slightly off topic but I don't really understand what they can do about traffic in the area though, short of building new roads/rail links (which i guarantee the local residents would also object to). I guess building extra hotels to try and lower the number of day trips might help spread out the amount of traffic coming in and out but I don't imagine this being popular with the locals either somehow.

Btw great work on the model Nemesis94, it's looking great!  :D
Last edited by Ryan. on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb19852

so at least its officially a Gert. The most interesting point is now similar type of ride, not same type.

Hmmmm............
pluk

jb19852 wrote: so at least its officially a Gert.
It already was!! Was confirmed in the very first planning doc, yet we have been going round in circles since anyway.
jb19852 wrote: The most interesting point is now similar type of ride, not same type.
Hmmmm............
Was thinking, this could mean it's a new model or upgraded Eurofighter design. But it could just mean it is a standard Eurofighterbut not a clone of Saw, they may have just avoided saying the 'same type' to stop anyone thinking it is an identical ride. 
Total Unique Ridecount
CJH

I recon we will see the cars that are used on Dare Devil Dive
http://www.rcdb.com/9430.htm?p=35153

Maybe with 8-10 seats per train. :)

Definately would like to see lapbars on this.
Chris 21 Manchester
jb19852

pluk wrote:
jb19852 wrote: so at least its officially a Gert.
It already was!! Was confirmed in the very first planning doc, yet we have been going round in circles since anyway.
jb19852 wrote: The most interesting point is now similar type of ride, not same type.
Hmmmm............
Was thinking, this could mean it's a new model or upgraded Eurofighter design. But it could just mean it is a standard Eurofighterbut not a clone of Saw, they may have just avoided saying the 'same type' to stop anyone thinking it is an identical ride.

Hmmmm. It was only confirmed by TT, not actually stated officially in any documents til then, but to save arguement and going around in circles, yes it was already confirmed.............

I belive like many that it will be a new upgraded version of the eurofighter with new style cars. 
Dormiens-Dave

After seeing The Swarm coverage today i am really excited for SW7 now, Merlin today proved that they can take a very good plan and make a damn good ride. Bearing in mind the larger theming elements on SW7 and the longer roller coaster i can really see the potential for something special in 2013.

Now Merlin can you sort out your operational issues and all will be well.
Alton Buzz

Morgano wrote:
Environmental Health  No objection subject to conditions. Confirms that the potential areas of environmental concern to be demolition works, construction works and the actual operation of the rollercoaster. Advises that the proposed ride is a similar type to the ‘Saw’ at Thorpe Park and is made by the same manufacturer according to the noise report and so the predictions as set out in section 5.6 of the Noise Assessment are accepted. Confirms that the typical experience of the Environmental Health Department with complaints against this theme park have related to the noises from passengers screaming and wheel on rail rolling noise Also confirms that  there have been previous issues with new park rides which Alton Towers management have addressed when complaints have been raised.
The Noise Assessment submitted by Atkins has taken account of the nearest noise sensitive properties to the ride and the projected noise impacts indicate that Pink Lodge will be the most likely to be caused annoyance by the new rollercoaster. The applicant has justified the development in regard to this property by comparing it with the prevailing background noise levels at this property which are higher that the projected noise impact of the rollercoaster.
Hmm Gerstlauer obviously, but this is different wording to the previous document. We now have "similar type" instead of the "same type".
They’re using the noise report as their source of information- the same noise report we found in January. I wouldn’t worry about the exact wording because it’s basically just a regurgitation of the noise report so they’re no better informed than us. Hope that makes sense.
Where the magic never ends.
AstroDan

If this has lap bars only, I may just do a little dance.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Poison Tom 96

AstwoDan wrote: If this has lap bars only, I may just do a little dance.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
What would you do if it was B&M or better quality? :P
mrbrightside

^ Probably fall asleep?
ImageImage