The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Blaze

Look at it this way.

Think of your favourite film. Chances are, it's hardly original. It will have been influenced by lots of other films, it may use the same basic plot as some other film, it might even be an adaption, remake or sequel.

What matters is how the source material is used.
spark

This topic is getting a bit boring reading the endless knocking of the station theme and will it clash with blivy.

However it does seem interesting that the last 2 merlin coasters were B&M yet AT are getting a Gerstlauer. I think if we had been getting a B&M then it would seem more appropriate to call it a SW ride,

This being, does that mean that perhaps Merlin had originally planned to install a B&M at AT but either the technology was not ready to install or they were not confident of getting the required planning permisson?
Big Dave

Not all SW's are B&M. There simply is not enough room to install a B&M in X-sector. Gerstlaurer make great compact coasters that really pack a punch. I'm glad they are making it!
Nightfall

If there was original a different coaster planned I think it is more likely that this was chosen because it fills a gap in Alton's current offering. Since the Corkscrew was removed the park has needed a new multiple inversion roller coaster and now they are going to get it. They've also needed to find a replacement for the black hole which this manages. As a bonus this ride is quite long which is something the UK is lacking.

Of course the park desperately needs a Beastie replacement and more filler rides but they would not have been chosen for a SW year no matter how needed they are.

Now if we're speculating about this supposed B&M coaster I have a feeling it wouldn't have been something the park is currently lacking. A rumour from a trusted source suggested that one of the founders of B&M were seen in the Dark Forest. Another common rumour involved a B&M in Forbidden Valley. Add the two together and this suggested to me a B&M hyper coaster through the gardens. Now I have no idea how true this could have been but as you can imagine there could have been many issues with this. However it also does not fill the parks current needs as well as this ride does. I think it’s quite clear to see that Alton were after Inversions when planning SW7.
[align=center]Image[/align]
coastermaster

the cars are of speed
Blizzard

Nightfall wrote: If there was original a different coaster planned I think it is more likely that this was chosen because it fills a gap in Alton's current offering. Since the Corkscrew was removed the park has needed a new multiple inversion roller coaster and now they are going to get it. They've also needed to find a replacement for the black hole which this manages. As a bonus this ride is quite long which is something the UK is lacking.

Of course the park desperately needs a Beastie replacement and more filler rides but they would not have been chosen for a SW year no matter how needed they are.

Now if we're speculating about this supposed B&M coaster I have a feeling it wouldn't have been something the park is currently lacking. A rumour from a trusted source suggested that one of the founders of B&M were seen in the Dark Forest. Another common rumour involved a B&M in Forbidden Valley. Add the two together and this suggested to me a B&M hyper coaster through the gardens. Now I have no idea how true this could have been but as you can imagine there could have been many issues with this. However it also does not fill the parks current needs as well as this ride does. I think it’s quite clear to see that Alton were after Inversions when planning SW7.
Thanks for that nightfall!

In late last year, I created a topic on a cross valley hyper coaster, everyone was posting troll faces & fail imiges on the topic, making out that I was idiotic. Youve just proved my point that there is a possiblity!

;)

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
Joe Koopa

Can I just say?

Anyone who's being skeptical as to wether the ride will remain true to the X-Sector theme, just needs to look out how they've integrated Sub-Terra into Forbidden Valley without altering any of the theme or it's origins. I can only realistically hope that they continue with this consistency in themes.

Sorry if this debate's already passed... :P
Nightfall

Fair point Joe but I'm going to wait until Sub-Terra actual opens before deciding if it fits in or not. Only just over a month left :)

@ Blizzard
I must have missed that topic :P

Out of interest it's still an unlikely idea... but there has been one or to hint to suggest this was considered.

However I was expecting to get some stick from that post as the idea is normal laughed at. It's taken as common knowledge that if another B&M is to be built it will be on Air's car park. While this is indeed the most likely place it would have only been one of several sites. A lot of us (me included I might add) are also against the idea of a cross-valley hyper because of the damage it could cause to the gardens. This is why the idea is normally frowned upon.

But shunning the suggestion is just silly. Of course Alton could build a hyper coaster through the valley. They actually applied for planning permission for a cross-valley wooden coaster and the plans were never rejected, just withdrawn. Personally if they build anything through the valley I’d rather it be a wooden hyper coaster rather than a B&M but only because it would blend more naturally.

Anyway back on topic, I like Towers Nerd’s artist’s impression. Looks good much like the one they did for Sub-Terra.
[align=center]Image[/align]
seanyboyuk

I think if the park did make a woodie in the valley i think it would have to be a hybrid to save on footprint space and precious grounds trees..........
Dormiens-Dave

I'm really happy that SW7 is as it is but this is definitely a last resort plan, with 2 years of lead time they apparently didn't have theming plans ready to submit in December. Based on the well sourced rumours of a B&M in FV and the fact they where still designing the theming elements of this ride up-until a few weeks ago i think what ever B&M had planned for Towers isn't ready yet (prototype).

This isn't unusual, Oblivion leapfrogged Air due to the flyer concept not been ready yet, however i think this may work in Towers advantage. It has resulted in Towers getting what looks to be a good solid multi-looping thrill coaster that has some good length and thrills. Something they are desperately lacking.
seanyboyuk

I think the park would have worked on several concepts and probably looked at the most daring concept first and this is the backup i guess. I think a cross valley coaster could be a 3 year project possibly due to all the ground work and construction etc.
Johno

Specifically, I think that Alton were expecting a B&M 4D.

Postponed either due to the concept not being ready, probably quite likely.

Merlin not wanting it to make Swarm look bad, equally so, but will obviously have cost implications. If Alton want the first one, I would expect they are paying a retainer to B&M.
jb19852

Johno wrote: Specifically, I think that Alton were expecting a B&M 4D.

Postponed either due to the concept not being ready, probably quite likely.

Merlin not wanting it to make Swarm look bad, equally so, but will obviously have cost implications. If Alton want the first one, I would expect they are paying a retainer to B&M.
Whilst I or no-one on here can prove this I have said and thought along this is exactly what has happened
Vladimir Bobinski

Can we please drop this whole (Confirmed: Gerstlauer Coaster) business from the title of the discussion.  Yes I am going to get flamed for that but I swear the further we go down the line with this the picture becomes less clear. 

One minute the track looks euro fighter, the next it looks B&M box like, which was the last thing I was expecting and don't believe.

All because of the sentence "Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at
Thorpe Park.".  I still think that how Saw sounds to the residents of Alton is relevant and not a comparison that is going to have any meaning to them.  Similar can be as accurate as cynical as you are feeling, I'll leave that one open to your interpretation, be it the same ride or the fact it's most likely a compact single train coaster.
Johno

Not similar. Same.

Same means same. Deal with it.
jb19852

Ok so we have to assume thqat it is a Gerstlauer but lets face it until we see the deliveries with the manufacturers name on or get a statement from Gerstlauer or At we can only assume the manufacturer.  Thats the simple fact
Dormiens-Dave

Vladimir Bobinski wrote: Can we please drop this whole (Confirmed: Gerstlauer Coaster) business from the title of the discussion.  Yes I am going to get flamed for that but I swear the further we go down the line with this the picture becomes less clear. 

One minute the track looks euro fighter, the next it looks B&M box like, which was the last thing I was expecting and don't believe.

All because of the sentence "Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at
Thorpe Park.".  I still think that how Saw sounds to the residents of Alton is relevant and not a comparison that is going to have any meaning to them.  Similar can be as accurate as cynical as you are feeling, I'll leave that one open to your interpretation, be it the same ride or the fact it's most likely a compact single train coaster.
We don't put confirmed into a team created topic title unless we are sure what we are saying is correct. And the plans do state it is a Gerst.
CoasterCrazyChris

It's SAW with added inversions - don't expect more and you won't be disappointed.

:)
Brett

^ why would we think that? im expecting much more.

why does everyonne hate this thing? this is possibly on par with swarm...

it just goes to prove what i say every single time towers design a new ride.

"most enthusiasts dont appreciate what they dont even know about, they will complain just because it makes them seem like the most clever person in the room for having difference in opinion."

i for one am not one of those and i hope if anything they add more of this rundown military type theme and almost  over run x sector with it to prove ALL of you wrong that this will be an amazing coaster.

Rant over :)
Big Dave

I couldn't agree more. I'm just glad that most people who have been on the forum for a while, seem to have the sense to wait until a bit more information is released. This ride might not be to everyone's taste and I understand that, but the thing hasn't even passed all the planning permissions yet!

I have this idea that unless its Intamin or B&M people will moan and because its a compact coaster made by a fairly small company, people are going to slate no matter what.