Drinking fountains and Queuelines

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Themeparksandy1981

Wasn't sure if I should put this in topic in the future section.

I been to Alton Towers and other merlin parks in all weathers but think they could offer more cover in the queue lines from the rain and sun or at least have drinking fountains round the parks and maybe in the queue lines to keep cool.
Its rides like Rita and Spinball as it all in the open.
It works well at Drayton Manor so why not Alton Towers as well.
CoasterCrazyChris

I think after Oblivion they learnt the lesson never to build indoor/undercover queue lines again - due to the level of graffiti they have to remove, plus the cleaning and maintenance of them.

They have with Thirteen for the first time in a while, but they have cleverly designed it so you're in metal cages so people can't deface the walls.

Rita is dire though - a cattle pen completely exposed to the elements with no trees or foliage to shelter you.

They ought to install misters in the queues for use in the summer to keep the line cool.

:)
starbugger1303

I cant see that happening to be honest, people will end up spitting in it, writing on it and Alton would just forget about them.

Would be a great idea but a few flaws (due to the people who go to Alton Towers).

:D
Themeparksandy1981

Im not talking about building I just gave Drayton Manor as a example. Im just on about adding shaded areas in queues. Nemesis,13 and Air works well with the trees. I think having light mist blown on you will work well and wont cost a lot to add or run.
tpjames

[quote=""starbugger1303""]I cant see that happening to be honest, people will end up spitting in it, writing on it and Alton would just forget about them.

Would be a great idea but a few flaws (due to the people who go to Alton Towers).

:D[/quote]
But they have water fountains in parks in the US and they seem to be OK - even in some of the parks with the more "challenging" park goers - so why not at Alton?
Islander

There are water fountains throughout Legoland. Not that it has a comparable audience, of course, but it shows that it's not an alien concept in the UK...
tpjames

Depends on if you're thinking physical or mental age I guess. ;)
altontowerskid

The US parks will maintain the drinking fountains and misters because they are essential. However, at the Towers i would be worried that it would be a wasted effort as if they break, they wouldn't be fixed.

At Thorpe Park last year during the intense summer heat, staff were selling bottled water to people in the queue lines for £1, a reduced price but still, i think in summer it should be a necessity to provide water to their guests free of charge.
thefatone

Does thorpe still have its drinking fountain outside of guest services? Been years since I've tried to use it!

As for towers.. well.. its rare for you to become so warm up there anyway. The weather treats everyone much better - however shade should be required in queues and should be considered the norm.
DiogoJ42

The problem I can see is plumbing. How far are mot of the queuelines from clean, drinkable mains water? :?
Besides, as altontowerskid said, without fountains they can sell you water and make money. :roll:
Pennywise

[quote=""damos1""]It kind of goes to the rainmacks should be sold at no more than £1 especially on pouring it down days, Water fountains in queuelines? No chance? But bottled water should be sold at about 50p per bottle, As for shade, Same goes when it is raining again, All that would be needed is a canopy over the top of the lines just to keep guests dry it is not nice being caught out in showers with nowhere to go![/quote]

These are different. Rainmacks are not essential, regardless of the weather... water is something that people can't live without, and therefore should be available free of charge.

Legally, I believe, you can ask for tap water from any kiosk (which has a tap, obviously) and get it free of charge. But I like the idea of water fountains, like in Florida, especially in queue lines... to keep guests refreshed on hot days. :)
Islander

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]The problem I can see is plumbing. How far are mot of the queuelines from clean, drinkable mains water? :?[/quote]
That's not an issue really, since plastic blue piping is really cheap and easy to install (and, before anyone kills me, can easily be hidden).

It's effort, though.

As Dan says, legally you can request free tap water from any kiosk. I've done it loads m'self - very handy :)
Vik

Surely The simple answer to avoid paying over the odds for a Poncho if caught in a prolonged spell of bad weather during the day would be to check the local weather forecast before leaving home and take appropriate attire for the predicted conditions just incase, if you don't want to get wet?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Islander

^this.

[quote=""damos1""]As for free water at a tap outlet I think the free water law only stands for places such as pubs and clubs not just in general.[/quote]
No, I'm fairly certain it applies to all food outlets - as I mentioned, I've never had any trouble getting free water from any Merlin food outlet, be it a shop or kiosk.
Themeparksandy1981

If plumbing a problem they should offer drinking fountains in the toliets at least. Disney have got them everywhere just 1 or 2 added in each toilet would help. The water in the sinks aint drinkable.

The cover in the queues should be for all weathers. In the USA at Disney and Universal all rides are under cover.

Theses designs would do

[url=http://www.edensprings.co.uk/drinking-f ... ,4,45.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.edensprings.co.uk/drinking-f ... ,4,45.html[/url]

They could offer theses in shops and food restaurants

[url=http://www.glugglugglug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.glugglugglug.com/[/url]

The prices aint bad for a big company like Merlin

[url=http://www.watercoolersdirect.com/fountains/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.watercoolersdirect.com/fountains/[/url]
thefatone

[quote=""Themeparksandy1981""]The water in the sinks aint drinkable.[/quote]
They are drinking water actually.

All water on park, apart from hotel toilets, is drinkable - fun little useful fact there! :)
Magrathea

[quote=""thefatone""][quote=""Themeparksandy1981""]The water in the sinks aint drinkable.[/quote]
They are drinking water actually.

All water on park, apart from hotel toilets, is drinkable - fun little useful fact there! :)[/quote]

That's absolutely fascinating!

Why not the hotel toilets, then? :P

Regarding tap water laws, I am pretty certain that there's no actual legal requirement to provide it (and that it's a common misconception), but that doesn't stop it being good practice, and you're unlikely to ever be denied it at a Merlin outlet :).

EDIT: This article clears things up quite nicely :)

To quote:
The truth is that in Britain there is no legal requirement on restaurants to provide free tap water to customers. Some pubs and other premises permitted to sell alcohol may have a clause in their licence that does require them to offer free tap water, but it's on a localised basis only.
RustyRider

Rustys top tip for the day: Whenever me and the mrs go to a theme park we pop down to poundland and buy two ponchos each, at a £1 they are fantastic and come folded in a packet the size of a generic wallet. Always be prepared for the worst...
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
thefatone

[quote=""Magrathea""]
That's absolutely fascinating!

Why not the hotel toilets, then? :P[/quote]
Well, I imagine (though this is based purely on guesswork) that it's a backup incase they have a problem with running water at any time. So at least they'd have a few hours of reserves for the guests. Could be a requirement as such.
Magrathea

Wait...but the water in the Hotel Bathroom taps is drinkable...right? :para: