2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath - Part 1

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
MinteButtons

I got a photo of the scaffolding, as I thought it looked like something important. Of what I saw, it mainly seemed to be around the Flume's first lift hill?
And does anyone know what's happening with the Courtyard BBQ? It was shut and filled with scaffolding.

Chris W

It looks like they are attempting to get the SkyRide back up. Both that photo and the Courtyard are underneath the SkyRide cable.
mrbrightside

Interesting, that would suggest that they aren't having to replace the entire cable then?
ImageImage
.Will

They might be cutting a damaged segment out and stiching a new section in. They do do that with damaged cable.

As for an attraction they could erect something in the Black Hole tent at any point during the season and no one would be any the wiser.

:)
Blaze

Yeah, it's for the Skyride. It's seems it's not the kind of scaffolding for a building. Not an expert on scaffolding by any means, though. :P Too soon for it to be appearing if the Flume was getting refurbed.

Courtyard BBQ being covered in it as well probably confirms it.

As for the tent, they can slip something in at any point. It only took about two weeks to build Thirteen's track, minus the drop, so they could slip it in after the park closes in November and still have plenty of time for testing and themeing.
mrbrightside

[quote=""Blaze""] they could slip it in after the park closes.[/quote]Oooerr... ;)

But yeah, that scaffolding looks a lot like the stuff they use when they replace electricity cables on pylons that go across roads etc.
ImageImage
Coasteraddict

[quote=""Blaze""]Yeah, it's for the Skyride. It's seems it's not the kind of scaffolding for a building. Not an expert on scaffolding by any means, though. :P Too soon for it to be appearing if the Flume was getting refurbed.

Courtyard BBQ being covered in it as well probably confirms it.

As for the tent, they can slip something in at any point. It only took about two weeks to build Thirteen's track, minus the drop, so they could slip it in after the park closes in November and still have plenty of time for testing and themeing.
[/quote]

Unless they're building a whole new building ;) (which is something they should do or else they're idiots).
.Will

[quote=""Coasteraddict""]
Unless they're building a whole new building ;)[/quote]

I doubt they would build a whole new building to house a dark flat ride. They'd stick one in the Dark Forest or as a replacement in FV or X-Sector before they do that. The Black Hole tent after a good clean and tidy up will look pretty new.

[quote=""Coasteraddict""]Which is something they should do or else they're idiots.[/quote]

Um what? You can question some of the decisions made but calling "them" idiots is a little harsh. They aren't likely to throw money away building a new building are they?

:)
djtruefitt

To be fair I wouldnt expect it to be that hard to put a ride in the black hole tent, its got the enterance, its got the queue line (including a little shop), its got a building and its got an exit. All it needs now is a ride! With something like the blackhole tent it would be quite easy for them to build a brand new secretive ride because no one will see it being built.
James

A new attraction in the Black Hole tent would just be a matter of waterproofing the tent, fixing any parts of the structure that may have been damaged over the years and then just simply putting the attraction in there. The infrastructure is all there, and Alton could have very little work to do compared to building a whole new structure.

I hope the tent gets a new ride of some sort, although for some reason I can see Adventure Land/Storybook Land/Old MacDonald's Farmyard having something "new" for 2012. Perhaps Adventure Land/Storybook Land will be getting merged together?

Overall then there seems to be a number of possibilities for next year.
- New ride in the Black Hole tent
- Replacement flat rides for Submission and Enterprise along with a possible Oblivion spruce up
- New kids area/merge of areas at the lower parts of the park (around where Adventure Land, Storybook Land and Old MacDonald's Farmyard is), this could include a new attraction/show in the ice tent and a new kids coaster replacing the Beastie.
- New flat ride in the Dark Forest (seems most unlikely - but still a possibility)
- The Flume rethemed to fit in with Mutiny Bay, or a new replacement ride for the Flume (which I think is unlikely, but again we can't really rule anything out right now).

Needless to say there are a lot of areas at Alton that could do with some attention and I think Alton do really have a vast number of options available to them. Who knows what the expect next year - I do hope they impress us though given the lack of new attractions this year.
Big Dave

It needs to be a compact coaster, with sharp turns and loads of thrills. Anything but will be just rubbish and not make use of the dark environment the tent provides. Something Eurosat like would be epic, but obviously modern and meeting current fire regulations.
RyanY

I think it could be a compact launch coaster in the black hole tent and it could be made by intamin. But it would have to be aimed at families more than rita because you dont want two extreme trill rides that are both launch coasters.
djtruefitt

I would prefer a proper extream ride in the tent rather than a family ride, mainly because its dark you can make it so much scarier than in the light. Something fast with surprises!
Big Dave

Thing is, you don't need a dark ride to be fast. The darkness itself really adds to the feeling you are going fast, whereas actually you are not. Its about getting a great layout with tight turns and steep drops. Speed doesn't need to come into the equation.

Eurosat has a top speed of 38mph and yet is fairly intense. The Black Hole's top speed was less as far as Im aware. Both rides still managed to have a bit of a kick and yet both rides were able to accommodate smaller riders making it suitable for families.
Dormiens-Dave

The scaffolding is for the cable replacement. Its located at places the cable crosses structures and then lower scaffolding goes into the woods.

Apparently they replace the cable by splicing the new cable to the old and pulling it through.

As for next years attraction i would be skeptical about the september rumour. And i wish it was destined for blackhole but im not hopefull
AdrenalineAlex

You forget about Space Mountain in the US Disney's, the top speed is something like 35mph or something, and it's full of sharp turns etcetera. Because it's dark and the theming is incredible, people say it's one of their favourite rides. I just hope if they build a compact coaster in there it doesn't turn out like the Batman ride, the spinning mouse when, because in 2 words, I would define it as utter crap.
AstroDan

It staggers me that the UK only has two (notable) enclosed coasters, neither of which are very good. Raptor Attack has good theming but the ride isn't much cop.

I would have thought a park like Alton, paralysed by height and noise restriction would be chomping at the bit to add an enclosed rollercoaster!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Rocket

There's also the beastie site, that's a possibility now. But I would love a new coaster in the black hole tent.
RyanY

[quote=""AstroDan""]It staggers me that the UK only has two (notable) enclosed coasters, neither of which are very good. Raptor Attack has good theming but the ride isn't much cop.

I would have thought a park like Alton, paralysed by height and noise restriction would be chomping at the bit to add an enclosed rollercoaster!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk[/quote]

I agree think how much better th13teen would have been if there were not any height/noise restrictions so they need a well designed compact coaster.
Benzin

Not gonna hold my breath for a new coaster next year... Would be nice, but I doubt it'll happen what with SW7 literally around the corner...

Of course, I'm not gonna rule out a coaster replacement for Beastie... But really next year should literally be a focus on X-Sector (with some form of dark ride in the Black Hole Tent) and Storybookland/Adventureland...