The Alton Towers smell

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Don't_Look_Down

Has anyone else noticed that ride smell that you only seem to get at Alton Towers? It's a mixture between metallic and musty - hard to describe :?

One thing's for sure, my hands, clothes and bag always seem to smell of it for a good few hours after leaving. I don't mind it too much, as it usually reminds me of a great day out.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
siralgenon

Well, now the addiction is starting to get slightly disturbing, yet, I know what you mean 8-[ For me it's mostly Duel, Hex, Rita, Nemesis and Air #-o
Crofty

I smell mostly BO and dirty sweaty water, well I did yesterday after a soaking on Battle Galleons (not the BO). :lol:
Also teenagers fast food farts.

I was at the Chained Oak last night and I was amazed to notice that it smelled exactly the same as Hex!
Blaze

I miss the smell Thirteen had when it opened. :(

I don't think I've noticed much of a smell as such, more of a general sort of 'atmosphere' and 'feeling' to the climate and weather, which includes smell but is much wider than that.

If that makes sense. :lol:
Tom G

Thirteen has been deliberately scented with like a musty (hate that generic word but can't think of a better adjective) smell around the Tesla coil and in the crypt, I like it it's very atmospheric.
Last edited by Tom G on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaze

When it opened it had a very very strong smell, not the one they make themselves. It was probably fibreglass, paint and general new ride smell, but it was lovely. :lol:
.Will

There are many smells at AT. Some are nice others are not. You can smell a lot of crap around certain areas where as other smell really nice the Gardens being one. Th13teen smelled lovely last season it seems to have lost it a little bit now. Every ride and section of the park seems to have it's own smell I find it helps with the suspense. It is one of the great things about AT.

Apart when you can smell smoke or weed.

Ugh.

:sick:
Blaze

[quote="".Will""]Apart when you can smell smoke or weed.

Ugh.

:sick:[/quote]
Rita's queue, Saturday. Ugh.
.Will

Yep Rita's queue is the worst for that smell.

A really nice place to go is in the gardens when the grass has been cut! That is sooo good!

=P~
Vik

At least some of the trees at Alton Towers smell nice at this time of year. :0
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Jon

Although I've not smelled it the last few times I've been, the distinct Alton smell for me was a mixture of donuts and pot. On more than one occasion I went to Alton and people were smoking weed in the queue lines, and I have a distinct memory of that smell! That's what I consider to be the Alton smell even years later.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""Blaze""][quote="".Will""]Apart when you can smell smoke or weed.

Ugh.

:sick:[/quote]
Rita's queue, Saturday. Ugh.[/quote]

Oh I know that Dark Forest smell. No doubt it's to do with the lush foliage surrounding the area. It always reminds me of old ivy.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
.Will

I am fed up of people smoking in the queue lines. There was a group infront of me the other day whilst I was waiting to get on Th13teen they were asking people if they were allowed to smoke most were fine with it until it turned out that it was weed. I mean I don't mind people smoking cannabis, I mean their choice blah blah blah but I really wish people wouldn't do it in the queue lines with little kids around.

:roll:
Don't_Look_Down

Ugh, whilst I've nothing against those who choose to do weed, I wouldn't want to get high from their second hand smoke :sick:

I get a buzz from going on rides. That's the whole point of visiting a theme park in the first place.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Hex, Duel and Thirteen comes to mind... They are just some nice touches to add To your day!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Magrathea

I wouldn't say that there's a specific "Alton Towers Smell", but smells which spring to mind are Hex, Th13teen, and Duel's variants on musty, as well as Duel's amazing garden smell which can be very overpowering just as you leave the garden. I also associate Katanga Canyon with the smell of pizza (for obvious reasons), and also in my head Splash Landings has a very specific smell...possibly a product of the chlorine from Cariba :).
djtruefitt

Certainly areas do always smell of certain things, one of the biggest smells you always get around Oblivion is KFC, it seems so much stronger at Alton than any other KFCs in the country. Im sure they pump it out just so you buy some!
WildMouse

Nope, can't say I've noticed that particular smell, Dont_look_down. The only Alton smells that stick in my mind are the musty types found on Hex, Th13teen and Duel.

Whilst on the subject of aroma's, I just wished that CatCF smelt of chocolate when I rode it many moons ago (thus polishing the turd of a ride somewhat)! Has this glaring omission been rectified yet?
djtruefitt

It certainly smells a bit of chocolate and sweets this year. But its still not that strong of smell to really stand out like the smell you get in Hex or Duel. They should really pump the smell of chocolate around the whole ride and make it proper smell like a chocolate and sweet factory
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""djtruefitt""]It certainly smells a bit of chocolate and sweets this year. But its still not that strong of smell to really stand out like the smell you get in Hex or Duel. They should really pump the smell of chocolate around the whole ride and make it proper smell like a chocolate and sweet factory[/quote]

That's what I call the Towers Trading smell :P

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!