Thirteen CLOSED

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Brandon96x

Not real because it barely gets a que anyways and it will be quite like it was yesterday and that was a bank hol, 13 is just a normal rollercoaster with a little bounce and i docent live up to Nemesis...
starbugger1303

According to a friend who went today. The Roof to the crypt was off and a crane was there. Obviously something wrong with the drop mechanism. How I love prototypes! :P
James6

^^ That's the thing with Th13teen now, it's such a queue eater that the effect on the rest of the park when it's down is huge. And how can anyone say it's not getting queue's now? Everytime I've been this year it's had the joint biggest queue on park right until the end of the day.

Plus it's an epic ride anyway :P
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Dormiens-Dave

hmm if the roof was off and a crane was around that suggests the drop mechanism needs to come out, this was done during the closed season in order to fix the hydrolic leaking issue they had being having the previous season... Taking the whole drop tower out of the crypt is a big job so if thats the case the ride could be down for a while
haydn!

[quote=""Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""Tom G""]Quite a poor showing from the park and crowds are definately going to be down by a lot this year. I know it was wet yesterday but you're talking quieter than a freezing early November weekday between Halloween and fireworks...[/quote]

Doesn't sound too good for Alton, and 2011 is supposed to be a very important year for the attraction/tourism industry, as most people are avoiding overseas holidays and seeking UK days out, or so the local news reckoned.[/quote]

I'm fairly certain Merlin went on record earlier this year as stating that their UK parks had already enjoyed the best opening few weeks on record this year. It is also impossible to judge how busy the place really is, because it is so big and people just spread out so much. Anything between 4-5,000 is normal for this time of year and on both dates I've been in the last few weeks queues for the major rides have had decent sized queues with plenty of crowds around the park.

Also. Bank holidays are actually one of the best days of the year to visit a theme park. Everyone assumes it's going to be packed, so don't both going! They're typically much much busier on the Saturday/Sunday before and the Tuesday afterwards.
Last edited by haydn! on Tue May 31, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dormiens-Dave

My guess would be the proliferation of BOGOF vouchers and the obviously quieter parks this season show nearly all the parks are in trouble..

However we not more than a third of the season complete and this is really another topic discussion altogether
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""haydn!""][quote=""Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""Tom G""]Quite a poor showing from the park and crowds are definately going to be down by a lot this year. I know it was wet yesterday but you're talking quieter than a freezing early November weekday between Halloween and fireworks...[/quote]

Doesn't sound too good for Alton, and 2011 is supposed to be a very important year for the attraction/tourism industry, as most people are avoiding overseas holidays and seeking UK days out, or so the local news reckoned.[/quote]

I'm fairly certain Merlin went on record earlier this year as stating that their UK parks had already enjoyed the best opening few weeks on record this year. It is also impossible to judge how busy the place really is, because it is so big and people just spread out so much. Anything between 4-5,000 is normal for this time of year and on both dates I've been in the last few weeks queues for the major rides have had decent sized queues with plenty of crowds around the park.
[/quote]

Yes they did, in fact I posted a link to an article about this recently :)

Maybe your theory on the Bank Holiday reverse psychology is right. From what others have told me, AT has actually been very busy the last few weeks.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Tom G

Forgive me if I find their claim hard to believe when they've had the best opening weeks on record when there have been no major new things at their theme parks this year. Unless of course plastic skeletons and a few spider crabs are enough to surpass the interest of Thirteen.

I haven't seen the article but given the nature of the company, by 'best' they probably mean their turnover. When you've increased parking by 20%, food by maybe 7% and signed a sponsorship deal with Fanta this comes as no surprise.
AstroDan

Alton Towers is not enjoying a busy season at present. Merlin may have said other things but it really isn't doing great. It's no wonder.

These are my views and mine alone.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Tom G

It's just occurred to me that they could use all of these breakdowns to their advantage and say that terrible things keep happening in the crypt - part of the supposed 'bad luck' theme of the ride. :lol:
A5H

It's annoying to think there will be a select few who will throw a fit because they have visited and Th13teen is closed, I was there last year in April and it was closed right up until 4:30pm and to me, it didn't bother me that much plus I'd rather it be shut and made safe, than be on it and something tragic happen.

Also IMO when it is closed, there's no point getting frustrated because what would you have done three years ago when it wasn't here... you'd ride everything else on the park (that's open). I really just don't understand how people get so frustrated over it.

As for the drop in numbers, I blame ticket prices. I have got to the stage now with Alton Towers and Drayton Manor, I don't go unless I can get free tickets or a 2 for 1 offer. :)
AstroDan

I think people have every right to get "frustrated" if a major ride like Th13teen is closed, all day. But I agree that getting angry won't solve anything, as these things do happen.

:)
JAMMYD777

With all these rumors circling around, I am just wondering is it even possible to detatch the roof from the crypt section of the ride because it seems to extend to the face of the facade in aerial shots.

Just wondering.

JAMMYD777
SW7:
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""AstroDan""]I think people have every right to get "frustrated" if a major ride like Th13teen is closed, all day. But I agree that getting angry won't solve anything, as these things do happen.

:)[/quote]

Surely the malfunctioning of these rides is beyond the control of man. There's no guarantee they won't break down or go wrong, yet the customers seem to be under the impression that rides and coasters just magically work.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
brad992

Just read this from twitter:

RT @theseasonpass: th13teen is down at alton towers / roof removed from the crypt, and cranes are removing machinery. Not looking good
longy0151

TH13TEEN HAS BEEN FIXED AND WILL BE RUNNING TOMORROW! :D
AstroDan

Great news. TT News Article shall be edited!

:)
Thorpefandan

I'm glad it's been fixed, but if it is true that the crypt roof was removed it must have been fairly major. The drop mechanism always seems to be playing up.
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

rosco1982uk

I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

We were told today it would be open from 1. Then 3.

Never happened.

One solitary old gent was attending to the tyres on the lift hill, that's all that could be seen.
Islander

[quote=""AstroDan""]Great news. TT News Article shall be edited![/quote]
Has TT got another source to confirm this? Definitely nothing against Longy, who I'm sure is accurately reporting what he was told, but my question is how reliable his source was. If simply a ride host, then probably not very. It's simply that other news sources are now picking up on this and sourcing TowersTimes

[quote=""The Season Pass Podcast on Twitter""]Th13teen has been fixed - and will resume operation from tomorrow (according to The Towers Times) - Nick[/quote]