The John Wardley Interview - Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris W

John Wardley: Ride Consultant for Merlin Entertainments. Creator of Nemesis, Oblivion, Air and Chessington World of Adventures. In the 90s Tussauds era John Wardley was instrumental in the development of Alton Towers, and his work firmly placed Alton Towers as the UKs number 1 Theme Park.
And of course in 2010 be came up with the initial concepts for Th13teen.

Recently, TowersTimes contacted John to arrange an interview, he has agreed to this and we want YOU to ask the questions.

John's work has been varied throughout the years, from roller coasters to dark rides. There are a wide variety of topics you can ask questions about.

You can submit your questions in this topic and do feel free to discuss the questions that people propose. Within reason, you can also submit more than 1 question.
Also, if you feel that another TTFer has posted a question that you would like answered, repeat/quote the question and it will increase the chance that it will be put to John Wardley.

The closing date for questions is Sunday 5th December at 5:00pm. You must have submitted your question by this date.

Please be aware, we are expecting a large number of responses so it would be impossible for every question to be answered. Questions will be chosen based on popularity and also randomly.

If anyone has any other comments or if you require further information please PM me.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with! :D

EDIT: You can find the answers here - Link
Joelio

*edited*

If SW7 is at the rear of Forbidden Valley, would it attempt to blend into Nemesis or Air, or would a new theme be considered?
Last edited by Joelio on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattH

How Big Are Your Guns ;)
Mike

OK I'll start us off shall I :P

Q: If you were put in charge of theming at Alton Towers, which area of the park would you say is best themed, and which would you say needs most work? And for the latter, what would you do to improve it? :)
Last edited by Mike on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Ian for the sig!
.Will

I has question!

Which of the Alton Towers rollercoasters are filled with sand in their supports, really want to put this baby to bed to be honest!

:P
mattbailey

John, where did you buy your infamous coat?
Tom G

Can you see a day when you retire, or would you like to continue for as long as possible?
Ritadz

Out of all of the rides you have personally been involved in, which do you consider to be your best achievement?
MattH

What has to be your most favorite coaster that you have designed so far?

mine is technically different to Ritadz's q btw, as his fave and his greatest CAN be different :P
Joelio

If hypothetically Nemesis were to be removed and melted to form a Vekoma Boomerang, what would you build to replace it?

(real question)
starbugger1303

How did you feel when you found out that The Haunted House was being changed to Duel?
The its man

Out of the ride and rollercoaster companies you have worked for, which company would you say you have had the most pleasure of working with?

Are the stories true about your love nests? :P
Last edited by The its man on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Screw the entrance fee, I have an annual pass!
Nightfall

[quote="".Will""]I has question!

Which of the Alton Towers rollercoasters are filled with sand in their supports, really want to put this baby to bed to be honest!

:P[/quote] Seconded.

[quote=""MattH""]What has to be your most favourite coaster that you have designed so far?[/quote]It's Nemesis, he was asked at the Th13teen event :wink:
[align=center]Image[/align]
djtruefitt

If you could have designed and help build any other ride in the world, which ride would it be and why?
mattbailey

John, what did you have for breakfast?
Jared

You've mentioned prior to this that you have a great relationship with Walter Bollinger and Claude Mabillard, but when it comes to helping with the development of new rides and concepts with them, how much creative control do they allow you to have?
James

What kind of attraction/ride do you think the UK theme park industry is missing?
Nathan

Would you ever consider working with a smaller UK park, such as Lightwater Valley, and the tighter budget constraints that come with it?
Rollercoaster5000

Who came up with the concept for the world first element on Thirteen and what is the ride's top speed?
Would you say that the UK is lacking in world class attractions?
Last edited by Rollercoaster5000 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benedique

I'd love to know who his favourite coaster manufacturer is, but I doubt he'll tell us, he'll say something polite like 'they are all unique in their own way' blah blah...

I think he's secretly a B&M fanboy tbh ;)