Shrek & General attraction discussion for 2011?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Chris W

[quote=""Zak""]Hang on a sec though.. Is any of the attractions in the farm open for half term (Febuary) if they are how is it possible to re-theme the whole area? :?[/quote]

No attractions in Storybook Land/The Farm are open for half term. :wink:
AstroDan

February Rides:

•Heave Ho
•Marauder’s Mayhem
•Sharkbait Reef by SEALIFE
•Wobble World
•Twirling Toadstool
•Gallopers
•Frog Hopper
•Peugot Driving School
•Sonic Spinball
•Oblivion
•Hex
•Runaway Mine Train
•Duel
•Air
•Blade
•Nemesis

The Farm and Storybookland are closed.
SEALIFE

My bad! Sorry just found the topic myself :)

It seems that they've opened CCL instead so it is pretty much possible now. Would be good to see if it happens and how it turns out!
Blaze

Oh God, please don't let this be a full retheme [-o< The most I could take is integrating Shrek into the existing areas, but even that's pushing it.

And don't bin Beastie!
JoshM

What about Christmas? The farm will be open then, this would only give Alton two months to re-theme the whole area.
Blaze

Two months is plenty of time to be honest.
Slappy McGuire

Storybook Land is just tired, tbh, and a makeover is no bad thing. Personally though, I wouldn't go into the farm area to extend the far far away land, I would go the other way and take in some of the area that takes in Spinball, which is neither one thing or another at the moment.
NF2

Please Alton, just no! There are so many creative, original and groundbreaking people in the theme park industry that deserve to have their ideas materialised into a reality. Alton Towers is a place of mystery and magic with a huge history of groundbreaking attractions. Why the UK's top theme park feels the need to cash in on what is not only a passing trend, but a trend that is now far past its best, is beyond me. It would still have annoyed me had this happened 6 or 7 years ago when Shrek was at its peak, but popular belief is that the last 2 films in the franchise were far sub par in quality, and to be honest I think this summers offer barely caused a ripple of interest.

Shrek's popularity peaked in 2004, and has been going downhill with the public ever since. The public no longer care, enthusiasts certainly don't care for the idea of an IP based retheme, and the entire thing is simply the idea of money grabbing executives with no passion for the industry they work in. I don't even think a 4D cinema is the best way forward for Alton either, they're ten for a pound these days with nearly all parks installing them, and I honestly thought Alton were more original than that! I would be slightly disappointed if all we're getting is a 4D cinema with Shrek as the film, as its a popular 4D film at numerous attractions around the world, but a whole area retheme frankly sickens me.

If the only way parks can capture the british public thse days is to sell out to external franchises, then i'm fed up with this country. At least German parks and others on the continent rely on the ideas of people who actually give a damn about the attractions they're designing. Not a logo, product placement or movie tie in in sight, yet I don't see the executives at Europa or Phantasialand complaining!
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""Blaze""]Two months is plenty of time to be honest.[/quote]

Yes it is, if they plan on doing a half-arsed job like with with Spinball Whzzer.
cookiee_munster

[quote=""buffaloBen""]Cloud cuckoo land was a cheap re-theme and could be done in a couple of weeks with just paint and a few flowers and signs and nothing much more. However if they spend a bit of money i would like to see it look like some of the picture below:

Shops and buildings could be like this.

Signs could be like this.

Meet and greets with characters.

Theming like this.
Image[/quote]

are you serious? shreks house looks like its made out of paper mache! :P

well, its a little sad to know that shrek will be moving his huge green arse into the park. but its good to know that another land will be receiving an overhaul which is never a bad thing really. i think its quite "old hat" to have a farm area/animal area in a theme park. i think its best just to get wrid of the area completely and use the land for a truly awesome family dark ride.
fredward

I wouldn't mind the farm having some extra theming as long as they keep the farm aspect, I mean add a few shrek characters here and there, re name everything for shrek related humour, add Donkey hiding in the barnyard! Maybe retheme Dungpile as Shrek's swamp! Doesn't overwhelm the area, is cheaper and the small sections of theming can be very immersive and brilliant

As for time, when did they start retheming merry england?

I'm not sure when they started the Mutiny Bay retheme myself but i'm guessing they started over christmas, and I believe Mutiny Bay looks awesome!

Plus I know we love the theming of the farm but Alton have 2 kiddie areas, and they have to keep these areas up to date in order to get in the younger crowd, since the've only just rethemed CCL the farm is the only alternative.
Maelstrom

This is a good move IMO. Regardless what people have said on here about the public not wanting it, shrek is still a very popular franchise and although the 4th film didnt make as much at the cinema as the second and third one it still made $700m world wide which is more than many other films make.

The areas are not aimed at us they are aimed at families and both the farm area and story book land need updating. Using a franchise over an orginal idea is much less risky as you already have a very popular brand, especially in a market like the uk, in some european counties creating an orginal story and character works better than using an existing story/character.
buffaloBen

I'm still confused.

Why would Dreamworks come asking Alton towers to make a themed land when they know Universal, Disney ect could make such a better job of it.

Dreamworks already have a shrek attraction at universal orlando, hollywood and Singapore and then Alton towers, doesn't seem right. Especially for Britains quality at dark rides and 4d attractions is awful.

So why choose Alton when there's better opportunity out there?
fredward

[quote=""buffaloBen""]I'm still confused.

Why would Dreamworks come asking Alton towers to make a themed land when they know Universal, Disney ect could make such a better job of it?[/quote]

Because there is no universal studios in england?

considering merlin is technically 'bigger' then universal studios, if dreamworks wishs to expand there 'borders' the logical step is to create a shrek 4d in england in englands most successful theme parl
buffaloBen

[quote=""fredward""][quote=""buffaloBen""]I'm still confused.

Why would Dreamworks come asking Alton towers to make a themed land when they know Universal, Disney ect could make such a better job of it?[/quote]

Because there is no universal studios in england?

considering merlin is technically 'bigger' then universal studios, if dreamworks wishs to expand there 'borders' the logical step is to create a shrek 4d in england in englands most successful theme parl[/quote]

Yh i suppose that is a thing i missed about targeting England itself. Good point.

However just to be factual, Universal Orlando Resort attract more visitors a year than all of the UKs top theme parks put together. (Alton towers, Thorpe Park, Blackpool PB, Chessington, lego land)

Sorry to be intruding on the fact haha :hsmile:

Its true look it up :hsmile:

Anyway back on topic.

If they are re-theming Storybook land and old mcds farm i can't see it been a spectacular one if its open at christmas. That leaves them 2 and half months to re-theme it!

Look how long the dark forest took because of the weather and the winter is set to be worse this year. #-o

If it is going to be a cheap re-theme like cloud cuckoo land was please do not bother.

Surely dreamworks wouldn't have a quality attraction at universal and poor quality attraction at Alton to represent there Films. In this case shrek.

Fingers crossed for quality [-o<
CoasterCrazyChris

^Hmm.

I have a funny feeling it will be a quick lick of paint, renaming of attractions and a shed load of branding stuck up. Probably wih a few photo points with characters here and there and a range of meet and greets in the first few months.

Then, as if by magic after a couple of seasons it will look like the Flume and Charlie. The proof is staring right as us that this does not work at Alton, CATCF was almost solely based on the film franchise, then after all the hype of the film release was gone it becomes stale.

If they are going to do it, they should go the whole hog and completely re-theme and re-landscape the area to an immersive standard, however they have shown they cannot do it at Alton and unlike Spinball which was just shaken off as a missed opportunity with the (lack of) Sonic branding, they risk ruining an amazing (albeit jaded) area of the park here.

The thing is its more than just a new 4D show and an area re-theme. It's the re-theme of at least 5 attractions here. Now, you may think it won't take much because their kids rides, but some of the farmyard rides would need a lot of altering before they fitted with Shrek. Where do squuirrels, tractors and most of the farm animals appear in Shrek? Plus, its new audio for the rides and of course there will be merchandise on sale - all in all it will be costly. It seems they may be trying to fix something that aint broke here as they say.
El Patricko

I always say Chocolate factory would of worked with the old film, i think the Dahl empire over protected it. I dont feel those badly drawn little characters transist well to animatronics.

All the squirrel's car bodies would need be changed and the worm would look more appropriate as the big bad wolf if in the future they wanted to go down the burnt out movie franchise :)

Im more inclined to believe that the 2 areas (or perhaps even 3) would be meshed together in the future to create a new inclusive area, like 2015, not a movie franchise.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
HarveyButterfield

[quote=""fredward""]Maybe retheme Dungpile as Shrek's swamp!.[/quote]
Love this idea! It would work great. And I personally would love to see this retheme. Both areas are tatty, and in need of love. Storybook Land is the perfect place with Shrek opening the book at the start of all the movies. Fab job, keep us posted TT!
Rita is my mum!
Crofty

Whether this turns out to be true or not, its a lot of fun reading and speculating on this news. :D

While maybe a little late in the franchise, I'd welcome a Shrek re-theme. Thinking it over a bit I don't believe it will be necessary to include the Farm unless Towers are going for a major overhaul on the scale of Thomas Land at Drayton.
Currently Adventureland and Story Book Land offer a lot of wasted space. The pointless 'park' and The Beastie in Adventure along with The Dung Heap in Story Book Land and off course the large amount of land that the Ice tent takes up which is around the same size area as CATCF.
I'd be happy for the tent to remain if possible but I struggle to see how the 4D cinema would work. I Remember the Ice Tent as being a cold draughty dark place, not somewhere I'd install millions of points of new technology. Surely a lot of that has to be custom built under ground level also?
I'm imagining a land that could be expanded over time, a bit like Mutiny Bay, Year one could see the 4D attraction and a re-theme of Squirrel Nutty and the immediate area and later we could see a modern family Dragon Coaster that could weave it's way around the castle (4D tent) and the land of far far away. Something along the lines of Legolands Dragon Coaster area.

At least we will hopefully see an end to the Dung heap anyway. :hsmile:

EDIT: Just in addition, That Shrek in The Towers has got to be a mould from Tussauds, it may be there in readiness for the new attraction or it could be just in storage. We will find out soon I'm sure. :)

:hsmile: :hsmile:
Voke

But surely the mould is just for storage usage if it was placed in StoryBook Land it can be damaged/struck with various weather conditions if it's taking it's place where the Bookworm stands? Surely a model of that quality should take it's rightful place at Tussands.