Power Cut(s)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Vik

I've been at Alton Towers during a power cut before, though only half the park, and didn't even realise something was amiss until the masses descended on Forbidden Valley.

I find it difficult to gauge peoples reactions sometimes. I'm sure the average sane person will realise that such an event is beyond the control of the park, and will, once explained what is happening, endeavor to make the most of the rest of the day, knowing things will be back up and running in next to no time. Theres the gardens to enjoy, a stroll around the ruins. Relax on the lawn. Not like say Thorpe where if everything goes down, there really is nothing to do.

The compensation package offered is very generous. I believe the partial power cut last year resulted in guests being given a £5 off ticket, which is printed on the back of entrance tickets anyway.

I read some of the comments on the press websites, with people slating staff for being rude. Surely if you are screaming in their face they're not going to smile are they? Also, has Alton Towers heard from anyones solicitor yet :lol: , for those who said they are going to sue to reclaim travel expenses.

I think it is fair to say that we have all been faced with a situation where we have travelled somewhere only to find something has been cancelled at short notice etc. It happens, and in some cases, such as gigs, you may not even get so much as a refund let alone travelling expenses refunded. The offer of a free return visit, no car park fees and extended ride opening is surely enough?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Jordan

I have to agree that it seems to be a very professional response. Considering they could have done a lot less to compensate for the downtime, it's downright rude what people are writing on their Facebook page.

And to those who are thinking of suing :lol:, surely there is some line in Alton's T&Cs that say that they cannot be held responsible for anything like that which isn't their fault?
iNemesis

I think the comments on the Facebook page are appauling. Alton offered more than was required, & still didn't manage to please the crowd. I think this shows some people will never be happy. A day of rides & entertainment, an extra hour in the evening, & free tickets for another FULL day of entertainment = VERY good service.
bobblebob

Regular visitors have got a good deal from the powercut. Only people to lose out really are AP holders. They get free parking and entry to the park anyway
TheOneWho

I can understand why people would be annoyed, especially if they have travelled a long way and for many there simply won't be the option to return again this year. However that said, it wasn't AT's fault, and still no excuse to start abusing staff.
Crisps

TBH, I think AT will actually gain from the free tickets given out as a result of the power cut. Many people may now return to the park this season, and these people may not have not have done so until next season if they were not in possession of a ticket. As such, AT will get the extra food/merchandise/parking/hotel revenue from these people who would not have otherwise returned. So in a way, everyone wins!
Mick

[quote=""Crisps""] As such, AT will get the extra food/[/quote]
Fair enough :)
[quote=""Crisps""]merchandise/[/quote]
Again, fair enough :D
[quote=""Crisps""]
parking[/quote]
Arggh! :evil: I still cannot believe Alton are cheeky enough to charge parking. It's just greedy. It's not like my local Sainsbury's, where there's a fair chance people will park up just to go into town. The gate price is more than enough, Alton, the gate price is more than enough [-X
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!
Altonator

Alton Towers wouldn't make much more if any more money on parking because people didn't have too pay on the power cut day did they? :)
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
danny13

So far, over the two days on the resort that the power was down, there have been around 4,500 complaints, there have been 1,500 e-mails sent in and 600 letters all over the power cut. I was told this by a member of staff.
bradpeet

[quote=""danny13""]So far, over the two days on the resort that the power was down, there have been around 4,500 complaints, there have been 1,500 e-mails sent in and 600 letters all over the power cut. I was told this by a member of staff.[/quote]

Do you also have the gate figures for those days by any chance? I'm just wondering what percentage of visiting groups complained. (I am presuming that only one 'contact' would be made from each group that visited - whether that group consisted on one or many) It actually does not sound like a great number, considering the likely numbers on park and the nationwide publicity it attracted
danny13

[quote=""bradpeet""]

Do you also have the gate figures for those days by any chance? I'm just wondering what percentage of visiting groups complained. (I am presuming that only one 'contact' would be made from each group that visited - whether that group consisted on one or many) It actually does not sound like a great number, considering the likely numbers on park and the nationwide publicity it attracted[/quote]

Unfortunately I wasn't told. However, it was the easter holidays so it would be busy but I would say at least 25% complained probably.
jomo1993

Ive heard from a member of staff that theyve had another power cut up towers today, not sure how long and what parts were affected though, i will keep you updated when i hear more :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
James6

Nooo :P

That'd be the second time this year that I've got a trip to the Towers in a few days and there's been a power cut! :(

If you could keep us up to date that'd be good :)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Islander

Looking at tt_meet's tweets, 'twould seem the park is in the middle of a fairly large outage today - at least Forbidden Valley, Mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon are affected :(.
Vik

There is indeed another power cut. Concert is not effected.

Craig

Not 100% sure if coasters are back up and running yet. Skyride is back taking passengers, flume and presumably rapids are still down at least but they're never quick to recover from a powercut anyway. Just to confirm, the concert runs on generators so wouldn't be the cause or indeed e affected by a powercut.

Weathers gorgeous though, plenty on the lawns although not as busy as we thought it would be!
Vik

The power cut affected around a 1/3 of the Park, and rides were open again within 30 mins, think the Rapids took a bit longer, and The Flume, which closed for the rest of the day.

It wasn't really all that noticable as the concert had started and quite a few people were already on the lawns. We were in the Rapids queue at the time and watched as the water slowly drained away. :D

Anonymous

Just heard around 5minutes ago Alton Towers has had another power cut. What seems to be effected is everything on the right side of towers street, 13, rita and hex.

The cause for this power cut is as yet unknown!
DiogoJ42

Oh dear. Let's hope it isn't all the extra scarefest stuff drawing too much power. Didn't they have a power cut at scarefest last year? :?
Chris W

Rehearsals are going on right now for Scarefest so I presume they could have lighting/sound systems going too but Alton Towers' power supply is so dodgy it probably isn't related to Scarefest.

I've had a look on Twitter but there is no mention of anything yet.