2010: Corkscrews for the Entrance Plaza

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Fantasmic

The gold barriers underneath,... Corky looks like it's "bouncing" off them!
venny911

Couple of pics of the completed Corkscrews from Opening Day today. Got to say these look really impressive and it's a nice touch to see the plaque recognising the importance of this ride.

The plaque.

You can see how great today's weather was.

The view greeting people from the monorail.
Mattt

[quote=""haydn!""]One thing though, I thought they were going to be purple? They look blue in all the pictures so far.[/quote]

They are purple, you can tell when you look at them first hand. I think it must just have been yesterdays grim weather. :lol:
Nathan

They really do add so much to the entrance area!

I really like the old Vekoma sign too, great touch. Shame they didn't restore the word 'Load' though.
jomo1993

You know how you people are saying about the old sign, can i just ask where it was displayed before when the ride was operational?
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
NickT04

The gold paint is simply tremendous.
Blaze

Look great in pics, but look even better in person. They are trully awesome and magical. The shades are superb. Great how you can see their peaks From the other side when you look back towards the entrance. The plaque is an addition I welcome and was not really expecting.

Like Thirteen, there is a renewed atmosphere around them and have fitted in perfectly straight away, just like the new coaster.

Nice one Alton.
jonathan leake

Wow that does look pretty cool.
80schild

bushboy2 wrote:http://www.rcdb.com/778.htm?p=1157

Look at the entrance to the corkscrews. There is your straight.
Looks like I may have been right, no straights have been used as per the planning application.

Where are the two remaining straights going?
TB2

Agreed with everyone in this topic .

The Corkscrews are stunning. Think about it, Boneshaker, Dynamo, Black Hole, the Swan Boats, all big parts of Alton were uncermoniously dumped by Tussauds, left to rot with no cares about the impact they had in the park.

With Merlin, even though they didn't own the park 30 years ago, know that Corkscrew was the most important ride ever added to Alton Towers. By adding them to the entrance as a kind of memorial, they've ensured that Corkscrew never really left as it is the first and last thing people will see at the park.

And I think thats marvellous.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Big Dave

Just a shame someone has already scratched the paint of the plaque already. Still looks stunning though.
Blaze

[quote=""TB2""]Agreed with everyone in this topic .

The Corkscrews are stunning. Think about it, Boneshaker, Dynamo, Black Hole, the Swan Boats, all big parts of Alton were uncermoniously dumped by Tussauds, left to rot with no cares about the impact they had in the park.

With Merlin, even though they didn't own the park 30 years ago, know that Corkscrew was the most important ride ever added to Alton Towers. By adding them to the entrance as a kind of memorial, they've ensured that Corkscrew never really left as it is the first and last thing people will see at the park.

And I think thats marvellous.[/quote]

To be fair, they did give Black Hole a send off event, and even delayed it's removal over the winter so people could ride it one last time in March 2005. After that, though...

Hopefully Merlin sort out the tent, either put a fitting replacement in or remove it and start from scratch, I don't really care, after Thirteen replaced Corkscrew, I trust them to replace it well eventually. I would love the tent to stay, though, as a memorial, like they did here, with a plaque. If not, I would love some sort of memorial near the entrance, maybe near the screws.
Anonymous

I totally agree with the last post. Corkscrew was always my favorite ride and I think that the loops being installed at the entrance is a fitting tribute to the ride which started it all.

This maybe going a bit off topic but do you think they will put other iconic rides such as a swan boat etc... to mark the 30th anniversary of the park.
Altonator

I think theres a swan gliding around coaster corner isn't there...
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Mathmosman

When in use.. that plaque was on the back of the ride cabin (not sure if it remained they during the UGland days though).

IN terms of a Swan - it's behind the Haunted House.
TheMagicIsBack

All I can say is wow :shock:
Well done AT, what a great way to display the iconic screws :clap:
The plaque is a lovely touch which will surely remind people of Alton's first major ride.
Calum
themealgang

Wow, wow WOW! I saw these in the entrace on the TH13TEEN opening day and they look great. I also love how they have kept the manufactures plate too. :clap:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
DiogoJ42

I did have to chuckle at the kid on the monorail, who pointed at the screws and asked "is dat firteen?"
:no:
Blaze

Haha, I'm pretty sure I overheard something like that aswell! One of those moments where you really lose faith in humanity if people can not tell the difference between a ride and a couple of pieces of track not connected to anything #-o
Russell

Must say I was worried about the colour scheme but they look absolutely fantastic in the entrance plaza. Not too keen on the fence but at least it has a quirky design and the plaque is a brilliant touch! Shows that the managers love the place as much as we do! :D
Since April 2008