Th13teen - Ride discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Blaze

Got 5 rides this weekend, and was running better today than Saturday. I think people have missed the whole point of the ride and have not been looking in the right places.

Firstly, there is huge psychological fear, you go into a very dark room with a dead end and creaking floors. You know something will happen and this makes you scared. The first drop is terrifying enough and the second is even scarier. The wraith at the front in pretty spooky when it appears in front of you lit up so well. The music and sound from the queue onwards also build it up because they are very creepy. The backwards section is scary because you can not see what is coming, the undulating track and not knowing what will happen next is also scary. People believed the marketing too much and are now slagging it off because it fooled them. Hopefully when everything is working it trully will be terrifying for people like us, sceptical and armed with the knowledge of what is going on.

The outdoor section is great fun. People said this from the begining but again allowed themselves to build Nemesis 2 in their heads. It was never going to be anything but fun. The trims hardly do anything apart from the first drop trim, which only reduces acceleration, before releasing and giving you more acceleration instead of one big bit. The turn is fairly intense and very close to the ground and trees feel very close. The two hills have nice pops of airtime but the best is on the first turn. The best moment follows, the s bend between to two turns is great fun and throws you around.

There were more effects inside today than Saturday so it is deffinately a work on progress and will only get better. The launch could be a touch faster and the train does not accelerate when the back drops, only when the front reaches the drop. It is sharp and sudden, the unbanked turns violent. The underground turn is disorientating and fun as it throes you around a bit an you don't know what will happen next. Didn't expect it to be covered so well, a nice surprise and the final switch has some nice theming. The little launch is fun.

I like how the backwards section can not be seen apart from one point in the queue and on Rita. Well hidden and adds to the shock of it. The queue is good, especially for a cattlepen, unlike Rita's it works and does not make you suicidal. It has great theming if you look closely enough, there are many fallen, shredded and broken trees as well as the dead hand in the ground and van. The working tesla should illuminate the dangerous downwards step and look great. Will illuminate the wall theming, which is good. Impressed with this as the plans only had a simple bridge. The station itself is nice with chained wraiths and the front row queue is thankfully short, reducing wait times. Throughput and reliabilty is stunning, especially for a new ride. The landscaping other than the helix is basic but good, and not really needed as it is only a turn that takes place outside the forest. This first turn is surprising fast and the lift rapid with nice views. The layout has basic theming throughout, mostly just trees and destroyed pieces of trees adding to the destructive theme and making the forest seem even closer than it would feel, which is surprisingly close anyway. The building is jaw dropping inside and out, and dare I say it, it is better than Nemesis in some ways as it doesn't stop inside the building and even though there is no story, or at least no story given, you never have any doubt what it is about. Nemesis turns industial and militarialistic inside the monster, where as Thirteen is always a crypt. I would argue that Thirteen's music, especially the orchestral bit that isn't Teddy Bears Picnic is better, or atleast equal to Nemesis. The area music, sound effects and Teddy Bears Picnic bits are also top draw.

People have been taken in too much by the great marketing and the ride will get better as more things come online. I'd like to see the tesla and machine in the holding section before the station. What this ride succeeds in is bringing something new and rewrites the seffinition if thrill. This, like Air, is thrilling without being physically forceful or being tall, fast or steep. It also includes well rationed amounts of lateral force, which is fantastic and it's a shame most coasters desperately try to cut it out entirely. Finally, it must be congratulated for opening up the world of thrill and Secret Weapons to a smaller and younger audience without alienating anyone else. I can't wait to return, Mr. Wardley has created a masterpiece that he can be proud to call his own. My only regret is not being able to meet him. Hopefully in 4 years or whenever SW7 is released, he will be there. Nevertheless, I am proud of being one of the first 1500 or so to ride it.
chip
Location: Somewhere near the middle of nowhere but nolonger actually in the middle of nowhere, nearish Towers!

Having been both today and yesterday, and loving the ride everytime, I have noticed more each ride.
[spoiler:143qpzcf]I love the, "your going to die" sound effects as you leave the lower crypt[/spoiler:143qpzcf]

There was definitely more going on today with certain lighting effects, but if it is still unfinished...I can't wait.

One thing I have noticed, being included in the rather invigorating run yesterday to the dark forest, being moved out of the dark forest then being caught up in the massive crowds and myself and Mr. P leaping through the Rita supports to not be killed :P, there is a mad rush in the morning, but come after noon (I believe thanks to marketing) there is no queue at all. Maybe people did listen to the, "you can only ride once" malarky.

All's fun that ends fun.

Chip
Last edited by chip on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
buffaloBen

Thats the good thing about Thirteen. It seemed the more you ride it, the more i noticed and the better exsperience i had.
The first time on the first day im not sure if i noticed the air cannons until my 2nd ride and by my 10th ride i had noticed the wraiths in the drop section :lol: and the strobe which i didn't seem to remember.

Ive spent 2 days there already and everytime it gets better. Can't wait till next week, another weekend at alton towers. :D
dont look down 2005

Couldn't have put it better myself Blaze! That's exactly what this ride is about and I for one love it!

Great to hear that even one day later there are more effects online! I should be back at the Towers in May time so hopefully it'll be looking spectacular by then.

and would you look at that<<< Th13teen rep points!

EDIT: Make that 14! lol!
El Patricko

Well i don't know wether this is bad form or not but i haven't heard any thirteen theme music yet so im putting my dark forest bit up on here :) [url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

Take it down if im breaking the code :D

I don't konw why but im more excited now than the first ride, hopefully there should be more items making there way from merlin magic soon.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Skumfidus

Do you think anything will be added? I think the general consensus I have picked up from the public is they love it! Maybe a few little things, with options to improve or change the indoor section in the future to keep it fresh!

The throughput sounds amazing, one of the things that can tarnish an opening day is hours upon hours of queuing!
Dean

Don't forget to look out for the fire extinguisher in the top section of the crypt...

Adds to the theme well... :P
Skumfidus

[quote=""Dean""]Don't forget to look out for the fire extinguisher in the top section of the crypt...

Adds to the theme well... :P[/quote]

Oh no! It's like Valhalla's genuine Viking Argos plastic patio chair! Dya think health and safety would mind if they themed it? Or got permission to use a Halon fire extinguisher...nice and green!
D-Man

^Haha reminds me of Nightfall's Air Tunnel mock up with the Buckets and Mops! :D

Hope that it doesn't need used any time soon! :lol: :lol:
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
NF2

Towers Nerd have a recording of the Dark Forest area music up if anybody is interested, but I haven't heard it in the flesh so can't comment on how it compares:

http://www.towersnerd.com/tour/darkforest/
Nightfall

Well I was there today and like everyone else I was expecting more on the first ride. Now I’m sitting in my flat suffering from withdrawer symptoms :P . (7 times)

In many senses it’s like Air in the way it offers something that I can only describe as pure fun. For that reason I find it hard to compare it to any other ride.

I will right a full review at some point but there are two things I have of note:
1) The Crypt seemed rather wide considering nothing happens at the bottom. I had a look at the wraith at the front and it doesn’t seem like it is more than just a statue, so what about vines coming from the side or something like that. There is also a slightly longer pause at the bottom which suggests something’s missing.
2) Does anyone else get the erg to clap while being thrown about on the final helix (although helix doesn’t do it justice). Not only did I start clapping but on every ride so did everyone else! Its bazaar because normally I hate going backwards or drop towers but both just felt like so much fun.

Although it's not been mentioned I’m sure they do use smell effects, Especially in the crypt.

ps. thanks deek92 but i think Islander can take the credit for that (im still working on it).
[align=center]Image[/align]
fredward

[quote=""The_Chosen_One""]I dont get why the UK cant compete with the theming in the states. Where one of the richest countries in the world surely we should be competing with the US for things like this.[/quote]

umm, the states generally have rubbish scenery... ever heard of Six Flags? most of there rollercoaster's are built over car parks they don't even bother to remove the parking spaces either. I'm not exagerating.

You're confusing the 'States' with Disneyland and Universal, the reason there scenery is better is they have enough money from other media not just theme parks. It's not about how rich the country is, it's about how rich the company is.

I'm very happy with what i've seen form the pictures I am getting very exited and makes me wish even more that the Th13teen weekend wasn't cancelled! I am most lickly going up to the Towers on Thursday because I can't stand waiting any longer! :lol: The entrence looks excellent and van looks great!

The scenery looks amazing and I can't believe some people are really slagging it off. in a few months time I'm sure it'll look a lot better when all the vegatation has grown back, It'll look a bit more overgrown!

If I remember my camara I'll make sure to take some brilliant piccies!

(I Know the Idea was based of this ride but I'm quite surprized how much it looks like my Anathema RCT ride! :lol: )
oldgitBEN

do we think that the 'missing' theming of 13 will be like the missing theming on air?
Ie - never actually appear because people just accept it as it is.

I still dont think 13 is comparative to air, nemesis or oblivion.
Nemesis was the first coaster alton went mad on and made the park. Oblivion and Air were original 'worlds firsts' (well air in a fashion)
But 13 just seems a rehash of existing ideas and just doesnt have the impact of the others.

I dont dislike the ride but i just dont count it as a real SW.
I think maybe its time alton stopped with SWs as it sets peoples expectations high.
Also John Wardley seems to be letting alton down, he was consultant on charlie and designed 13, maybe its time for some new fresh blood to come in.
mezza

Here are my thoughts:

It's a universal rule of message boards that whenever a messageboard is anticipating something, the levels of fevered hype in the run up go a bit over the top, and there is ALWAYS a degree of negativity and disappointment when that thing actually comes out. I've seen it on band websites when new albums are coming out... you see it on Mac forums whenever the latest Apple product comes out...

so you end up measuring whether something is a success not by whether that negativity is there or not, but by how much negativity there is.

And for 13, there's actually a lot less than I was expecting - and most of the negativity is not about the fact that the ride is terrible - I've not seen anyone who thinks that - but that it doesn't quite measure up to the hype; the budget; previous SW's, other coasters in the world, that kind of thing. Which is fair enough.

From what I've seen (I've not ridden yet) - the ride looks amazing - brilliant theming and at it looks at least as thrilling/fun as I was hoping/expecting.

It opened on time and has seen brilliant reliability and throughput. And it will only improve as the theming is finalised and the landscaping beds in.

Well done Alton Towers! and thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts and pictures! It's really appreciated by people like me stuck all the way over here in Australia!

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""oldgitBEN""]do we think that the 'missing' theming of 13 will be like the missing theming on air?
Ie - never actually appear because people just accept it as it is.[/quote]

I think it's slightly different - Air ran in to loads of problems and went massively over budget - theming was scrapped as a cost saving measure. With 13, the weather etc meant they just ran out of time - you get the feeling that the additional theming is ready to go, it just hasn't been added yet - bits will be added whenever the park gets chance, outside of openining hours. A closer parallel would be CATCF - not that it improved matters, but bits of theming got added to that during its first season and over the winter, following its first season.
I still dont think 13 is comparative to air, nemesis or oblivion.
I think this is part of the problem! Nemesis still rates as one of the best coasters in the world, and Oblivion and Air were genuinely ground-breaking coasters. The bar for rides at AT has been set incredibly high.

But I think, in its own way, 13 is as impressive as those. It's theming is superior to any of them, and it offers a more varied experience than any of them - an out and back coaster, a worlds first freefall drop, a backwards dark section, and a switchback.

I also remember when Air first opened -there was MUCH more negativity than there has been about 13 - the lack of theming, the fact that it was too slow and unthrilling, and the huge amount of downtime it had when it was new. It took a long time until people began to rate it as highly as Nemesis and Oblivion.

13 is certainly deserving of its SW tag.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
PyroMittens

[quote=""chip""]One thing I have noticed, being included in the rather invigorating run yesterday to the dark forest, being moved out of the dark forest then being caught up in the massive crowds and myself and Mr. P leaping through the Rita supports to not be killed :P, there is a mad rush in the morning, but come after noon (i believe thanks to marketing) there is no queue at all. Maybe people did listen to the, "you can only ride once" malarky.
[/quote]
Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm heading up Tuesday, want to maximise the day =).
Wes

Are there any smells in the ride? Like Hex?
chip
Location: Somewhere near the middle of nowhere but nolonger actually in the middle of nowhere, nearish Towers!

There is definetly a smell upon entering the station building, however I am not sure if it is new ride smell (paint :P) or a smell effect, me and Bass Boy were having the same discussion.
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""Wes""]Are there any smells in the ride? Like Hex?[/quote]

Yes, there are smell pots giving it a noticeable smell when you enter. :wink:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
fishdalf

Going to Alton Towers today, but I've completely ruined it for myself now. Decided to go on a day I'm working nights before it. I thought that would be okay as I'd have a few hours sleep in work beforehand as I'm a security guard and then feel refreshed, but I just cannot get comfy in work and cannot sleep at all. Now I'm gonna have to finish here at 6, stay up and then drive everyone down there at 8, and stay awake all day, as well as trying to enjoy my day. I'll probably end up falling asleep before I even reach the lifthill.

:shock:
Mattchu_19

Sorry if it has already been mentioned but what is the que time like? Is it a slow moving que or does it tend to move very quickly?

Matt :)