Th13teen - Ride discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Hurri

'World's First Vertical Drop Roller Coaster'

Isn't it a horizontal drop, anyway?
furie

[quote=""Hurri""]
Isn't it a horizontal drop, anyway?[/quote]

That phrase makes my brain hurt... I can't work with physical laws where things drop horizontally :lol:

Erm, I think "World's first vertically dropping roller coaster" may be what it is, not vertical drop. Subtle semantic difference...
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Wes

I don't recall a good roller coaster ever being good because of the track alone - It's an experience from the moment you enter the area in which it is in, to the second you leave.

Judging an experience from a few moments of poor footage, is not a way to experience a ride. [-X (Naughting TTFers and their all too famous quick judgements)

Can't wait until Saturday, can you? :D
James6

I don't really see at all what is SO bad about the video,to be honest, it's made me even more excited.

But surely there can't really be 5 trains? Just checked again and it's definitely a 5 on that train.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""James6""]I don't really see at all what is SO bad about the video,to be honest, it's made me even more excited.

But surely there can't really be 5 trains? Just checked again and it's definitely a 5 on that train.[/quote]

Looks like a 2 to me :?
altongeek

[quote=""James6""]Just checked again and it's definitely a 5 on that train.[/quote]

Im pretty sure thats a 2...

Edit:

Damn beaten to it
Last edited by altongeek on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crofty

[quote=""Wes""]I don't recall a good roller coaster ever being good because of the track alone - It's an experience from the moment you enter the area in which it is in, to the second you leave.

Judging an experience from a few moments of poor footage, is not a way to experience a ride. [-X (Naughting TTFers and their all too famous quick judgements)

Can't wait until Saturday, can you? :D[/quote]

I thought we had grown out of all this "I know something and I'm not telling" stuff years ago with Rita. your certainly one of the last people I would have expected to take that approach Wes.

You do realise this topic is the "spoilers" topic? :lol:

:D :D
Kelly

[quote=""Wes""]I don't recall a good roller coaster ever being good because of the track alone - It's an experience from the moment you enter the area in which it is in, to the second you leave.

[/quote]

What about rides like Superman, Millennium Force, Steel Dragon, TTD? None of those are heavily themed or rely on effects, yet for many people they are some of the top rides in the world.

No the track isn't everything, but boy it sure does help.
DiogoJ42

I wonder if Mr Wardley reads this page? :?
If so, what must be going through his head right now?
furie

[quote=""Diogoj42""]I wonder if Mr Wardley reads this page? :?
If so, what must be going through his head right now?[/quote]

Probably...

[quote=""John Wardley's thoughts""]
What a bunch of cunts[/quote]

;)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Benedique

[quote=""Diogoj42""]I wonder if Mr Wardley reads this page? :?
If so, what must be going through his head right now?[/quote]

I'm sure he won't be worried! After all he will have been on it himself by now and he will know what the full experience will be like! He has never disappointed with one of his creations before so i'm sure he's sat there waiting for us all to change our opinions as soon as we have been on it!
Wes

[quote=""Crofty""][quote=""Wes""]I don't recall a good roller coaster ever being good because of the track alone - It's an experience from the moment you enter the area in which it is in, to the second you leave.

Can't wait until Saturday, can you? :D[/quote]

I thought we had grown out of all this "I know something and I'm not telling" stuff years ago with Rita. your certainly one of the last people I would have expected to take that approach Wes.

You do realise this topic is the "spoilers" topic? :lol:

:D :D[/quote]

You must be mistaken Crofty - I have always been like that, what with my inside sources and contact and what not. I did also have a nice chat with Brendan Walker a while back if you remeber...Guh! :lol: :wink:

But no, I don't know anything.

I'm just saying, without experiencing this ride, I find it hard to judge. Especially looking at the angles used, lack of effect, full themeing etc.
Scorpe

Defo train 2, in that old curly font stuff
Mick

[quote=""Kelly""]It's more building site than "Burial ground", and more clearing than "Dark Forest". And the state of the building, inside and out, with scaffolding everywhere? .[/quote]

The scaffolding on the outside is part of the theming - it's on the plans. It's supposed to be a part of the towers and grounds that they're doing work on, until they unearth something in the dark forest...

On the inside, it could too be part of the intent, however I think I see theming behind it and hope that it will come off before it opens. (Or, more to the point, before I ride it :))

I agree about the building site though - you can even see that on the video. I do hope they sort it out before long... And the helix tunnel: there's some theming in there, but I hope it's not going to stay as bland as it looks. We don't want another Air station tunnel!
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!
James6

Ah, sorry, my mistake, my TV definitely makes it look like a 5 though #-o
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Wes

Re: Building Site - It was handed over to Alton Towers & Merlin on Monday. Remeber it being delayed by 4 weeks with the weather & what not? They haven't completed the themeing just yet.
.Will

I couldn't find any link on here so here is the video shown on GMTV this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oaTCppHeN4

Enjoy!

:D
Wes

[quote=""bassboy""]I couldn't find any link on here so here is the video shown on GMTV this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oaTCppHeN4

Enjoy!

:D[/quote]

Thanks. :D
Anonymous

That video should come with a health warning.
Moley

You then enter the dark section.. we rode it lights on and off Mr Wardley was in there watching us! And theres gonna be some intense special effects in there people i saw some pretty expensive equpitment!
My Verdict it was a brilliant ride with impecable themeing!
So the bootcamp people who have been on are giving it praise (Facebook and Towers Nerd member) and everyone who hasn't is saying it's every expletive under the sun?

Some would say theres a pattern forming.
Last edited by Moley on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.