Th13teen - Ride discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
DiogoJ42

First off: A-Clark, possibly one of the best posts I have ever seen on TTF. You managed to sum up the last 10 pages almost perfectly.

Secondly:
[quote=""furie""]In fact, after reading Diogo's comments, I think there is an underlying issue of fear people who are happy to ride Rita and Oblivion all day are missing... I think that the idea of that sudden drop may be somewhat more appealing/scary to a lot of people than we think?[/quote]
Yup. :yes: I will be the first to admit that I can't stand drop towers. As I said before, If I'm facing the direction I'm falling, it's fine. But facing horizontally in freefall doesn't agree with me. I really wish I knew why!
Obviously, I've always suspected that this drop element would be involved... we all did. What worries me is the ferocity of the drop. It just looked so vicious!
When I went to DLRP, I 'chickened out of ToT.

Will I ride Th13teen? After all this time of waiting, how could I not? I will, however, be bricking it as we enter the crypt.

The last drop tower I went on was Apocalypse, about 11 years ago... that's what made me say "never again!" I'm hoping that since then, I have built up a tolerance to rides, and G forces in general. Afterall, I can ride a Jump And Smile at a fun fair, and they drop about 6 feet, under pneumatic power.

So it could be argued that if the point of the drop section is to incite fear, it is already working on me. :lol: With luck, it'll be one of those things that turns out to not be as bad as you (I) fear.

Will I actually enjoy it?

Will I want to re-ride it?

Only time will tell. I guess in three day's time we will find out.
SamB09

The drop kind of reminds me of the one on them kiddy drop rides. Think the name is Frog leap or something along them lines.
Last edited by SamB09 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly

[quote=""Mattia""]Honestly, I think some people are really judging all this too early. Yeah ok, the ride preview on GMTV wasn't amazing, but let's be honest - Saw (although it had the outside section) had none of it's effects on either. [/quote]

I think the concern is that Saw had none of its effects and it hasn't turned out to be the greatest ride judging by its reviews, so people are worrying it will be the same case with 13.

I just watched video again after being half asleep this morning and although I did see an improvement in speed, I just couldn't get past the shocking state of the site. It's more building site than "Burial ground", and more clearing than "Dark Forest". And the state of the building, inside and out, with scaffolding everywhere? This is not how you should present your product (because lets face it, that's what it is to Towers, a product not an experience), on national television when trying to promote it. They knew GMTV were coming, they could of temporarily tidied up what they could, or even commissioned certain shots that did not show the surrounding area, sticking to just the image of riders maybe. It looked unfinished and underwhelming.

Another issue for me is again with the outside part of the ride, and the sheer lack of "forest". Hopefully Alton have planted some trees, and in maybe a few years the area will live up to its name.

I still remain open minded, but there is such a great amount of work that needs to be done if this ride is relying on effects and atmosphere. The presenter wasn't even aware of the "Worlds first", so I don't expect the GP to either. A lot of people have experienced drop towers so this won't seem new to many. Alton have issues with keeping up effects on their rides, I hope this ride won't follow suit.
altongeek

According to facebook, the footage from bootcamp will be online tomorrow

Edit:
[url=http://www.altontowers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com/[/url] new background
Last edited by altongeek on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishdalf

[quote=""altongeek""]According to facebook, the footage from bootcamp will be online tomorrow[/quote]
Great news, judging by the comment it was a lot of fun and a unique experience to all those involved.
DiogoJ42

[quote=""Kelly""] The presenter wasn't even aware of the "Worlds first", so I don't expect the GP to either. A lot of people have experienced drop towers so this won't seem new to many.[/quote]
Very true...after riding, she looked puzzled, and asked "so what was the world first?"
fishdalf

[quote=""Diogoj42""][quote=""Kelly""] The presenter wasn't even aware of the "Worlds first", so I don't expect the GP to either. A lot of people have experienced drop towers so this won't seem new to many.[/quote]
Very true...after riding, she looked puzzled, and asked "so what was the world first?"[/quote]
She actually had to ask twice. :shock:
furie

[quote=""SamB09""]The drop kind of reminds me of the one on them kiddy drop rides. Think the name is Frog leap or something along them lines.[/quote]

Actually, it reminds me of the slightly larger Mauser kiddy drop towers (there's one at Paultons, Gullivers and Twin Lakes - plus other places I'm sure).

Now, you can believe me or not, but they're absolutely brilliant rides. You never drop more than about 6 or 8 feet, but the sudden drop and "bounce" is brilliant. See, if it has that then, on a coaster at least, it will be a bit more of a shock than you're thinking... Erm, still erring on the side of fun and family, not thrilling, but not "utter rubbish" :P
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Anonymous

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]Don't get where the long line of mis-fires have been, the last three years have been good for the park, mutiny bay has seen some of the best theming at the park since the late 1990's and its made a drab area a great place for families and the general consensus on Sharkbait reef is that its a great family addition.[/quote]

Yes, but all family additions.

With all due respect, i'm sticking it to those misfires as I believe they are also symptomatic of the park selling out. The park is beautiful. I'm a big fan, I really am. BUT (deep breath):-

...Spinball is a misplaced eyesore and a mediocre "family" coaster, Rita is a minature launched coaster that doesn't deserve to hold a candle to others of its ilk around the world - it was hurriedly dumped into Ug Land and made the whole area look like it was designed by some demented pastry chef (the theming clash now looks to be just as bad), the Haunted House has completely sold out (ie: it's now a computer game for the easily amused), Air is a good prototype, but the theming is off and the coaster itself is slow and boring, The Black Hole is gone - a hi-tech retheme with 3D glasses and projections could have extended its shelf life by another five years, Mutiny Bay is just a bunch of market stalls and fast food counters (E-Coli anyone?) and a portable aquarium, oh and some boats with super-soakers (because we all like getting soaking wet don't we?) and, well, the whole place used to inspire wonder and now, for me at least, it inspires cynicism. It's been Americanised.

What Alton really needed was some sort of redemption; something "dramatic", as promised by that Barnes fellow. I don't have to ride this to know it's over-hyped rubbish. All the signs, from its leaked, one-minute layout a year ago - up to its botched unveiling, have pointed towards this one EPIC mistake.
NeilHD

Anyone else been to Universal Studios in Florida? and been on Revenge of the Mummy? I'm hoping it's like that. RotM is quite a short ride and the rollercoaster part is not exactly pant-fillingly brilliant but the effects on the ride are awesome. This could be the same.

But I'm kind of getting the feeling that it's not going to be as good. Hopefully I'm wrong!
buffaloBen

Although im not making my final thought about the ride untill saturday i have to say it looked like it should of in febuary.
It has been a big talk today around eveywhere from the shops to on the bus, everyone is talking about it.
The majority of comments made by people were pretty bum clinching. #-o
Many were shocked. A popular comment was 'is that it?'. Months of fuss and £15 million for this.
Not one comment positive have i heard all day. :(

I havn't decided untill i ride on saturday but i can tell you now if that the effects don't turn out to be amazing. I would be extremely worried.

If that secret weapon which was delivered a few months back is not anything to with the drop. I hope it will be some amazing effect.
On the other hand it was great that the shutter closed when entering the crypt.
PeteB

Oh dear me... This could be the worst roller coaster ever built. Look how slowly it goes through the woods. RMT has got to be more exciting than this :(

Certainly not a thrill ride by any means, and "world's first vertical drop rollercoaster"? No effects in the drop section... Where has £15m gone? OMG the embarrassement!

The whole place looks a mess too, as others have said, I doubt they will have time to get it tidied up for Saturday.
FallenAngel

Gotta say the video didnt look inspiring but I'm going next week so I'm keeping an open mind for now, but I think the theming and indoor section will need to be special in order for the ride to be considered a success in the eyes of enthusiasts.

I just wish merlin would stop trying to live up to the expectations follwing the other SW's. It strikes me that they seemed determined on building a world's first and having another SW and ignored the fact that most fans would have loved a good quality coaster that's been done before just as much. I know it's not in the spirit of alton but I'm sure many people would have preferred a fast, intense looping coaster to this. £15m still gets you a lot these days despite what people think and another inverting coasters would have done wonders for the park.

I just sense that thorpe park have got a bit more attention than alton over the last few years with merlin trying to bring the parks reputation up a bit and alton got lost somewhere. Sure rethemes are nice (mutiny bay looks brilliant) but thorpe got stealth and saw and alton got th13teen. The fact that people are questioning the ride from a preview video kinda proves to me that alton got a bum deal here. I'm pretty sure the previews for stealth and saw spoke for themselves.

I love alton so much and I love rollercoasters but I know im not alone in thinking that merlin's attempt at another world first may have backfired.

I really do hope that the turnaround for the next major build isnt too long and that there may even possibly be something in the works already. A B&M like the incredible hulk would be a great foil to nemesis on the opposite side of the park, a new custom launched mack for x sector/black hole tent or even the fabled woodie! something that scares the life out of you just by looking at it like oblivion or nemesis or even rita. something really needs to be built to bring the magic back and make alton a world beater again. This I'm afraid clearly isn't it in my opinion.
Wes

People will be eating their words. :wink:
DiogoJ42

[quote=""Wes""]People will be eating that words. :wink:[/quote]
You say that as if you know something we don't.
Please, I beg of you: If you have evidence that could restore our confidence in this ride, don't withhold it! [-o<
James6

It might just be my cruddy TV, but was the number on the train 5? 5 trains? :)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
fishdalf

Just spoke to another rider and he said it was fantastic. He pretty much said ignore the footage because you don't get a true sense of the ride. Also again confirmed no effects yet and agreed the theming lacked, but said a lot will be done over the next few days.
Fraser

I just watched the GMTV video. I don't think it does the ride justice if I'm honest. The bloke next to the presenter looks pretty fed up haha. I'm sure it's awsome when you ride it yourself!
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""baptism""]

Yes, but all family additions.

With all due respect, i'm sticking it to those misfires as I believe they are also symptomatic of the park selling out. The park is beautiful. I'm a big fan, I really am. BUT (deep breath):-
[/quote]

I'm not picking on you in particular here baptism, and i agree with a lot of what you say, but the main issues you listed in your post about spinball and rita are all old tussauds mistakes which i strongly agree where poorly thought out eyesores (though i do like the ride experience of both).

Yes mutiny bay was a family addition and the last few years where family focused but i don't see how this makes a bad installation. Sharkbait reefs hardware came from portable aquarium but the themeing and attention to detail as well as the atmosphere from music and lighting have made it one of the best aquariums i have ever been in including Birmingham and London Sealife and the Deep in Hull.

As for Thirteen, if what you wanted was a multi-looping thrills coaster then you where bound to be dissapointed and although i too think towers need to invest in a ride of such a type, they also need inmmersive thrilling mid range coasters as quite frankly the restriction on height, noise and cost are too great for them to do multilooping wonders everytime. Though i will concede that the marketing for 13 was misplaced

I think that this ride looks like it is well themed (if slightly incomplete) the forest sections looks fast with lots of airtime (always good) and the drop on its own looks thrilling, add to that some effects in the building which have proved time and time again as a way of making something OK to become amazing then we may actually get something worthy of the SW label.

Also i do have to point out that we havn't ridden it yet and that means we know nothing of its thrill capcity and a low quality video of some woman pulling faces at a camera does not really lend itself to a detailed review
DiogoJ42

I also saw a number 5 on the front of the train.