Th13teen - Ride discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
fishdalf

[quote=""Diogoj42""]Just realised the AT Failbook page is public, so I can read it! :P Cheers though.[/quote]
It makes for quite humorous reading. :lol:
davidaiow

I thought for a ride without effects and theming, it looked fun and exciting. Yeah it's no Oblivion, but we all new that. We'll get one of those in a few years.

Some parts did look quite fast and the drop looked marvellous. The track line-ups were also quite impressive.

On a side note, the acceleration noise sounds like the Jubilee Line here in London on the Underground haha.

I'm excited and I'll definitely be riding in the summer when the theming and effects will be at there optimum and the queues slightly shorter...
Dormiens-Dave

I love how polarised the opinion of this video has made people.

For a start i can see where people like baptism are coming from. If you can't make your ride look the best on TV why show it.

On the other hand i really think people are jumping the gun in saying this is a crap ride, what exactly where people expecting in this small building with very little room to do anything?

Like with some of the best rides in the world what makes or breaks it is the effects. I think we all need to take a deep breath and wait to ride it, before saying towers have dropped the ball.
Liam

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8 years of waiting, and this is the result!

The Barnes legacy is truly a disaster. This park holds opportunities that theme parks across the globe would die for and they all get wasted. This was no Secret Weapon; "SW6" should be put back on the shelf for something more worthy. The spirit that bought Nemesis and Oblivion to the park is their no longer. Yes this may be an ok coaster, but AT was due something world class.

And to say this is the scariest ride in the world or that you need medial insurance or whatever I heard, well, that's just an insult, and a cheap publicity stunt yet again. An extraordinary coaster would be able to promote itself.
thorpeparkjunkie

WOW! Looks amazing! People are judging it way to quick!

Well done Alton Towers! They now have 2 different types of a vertical drop roller coaster :D

Notice her hair as they drop for the 2nd big drop inside the buliding! Shows it will be fairly intense

I think it looks great :D
DiogoJ42

With the exception of the drop (which looks thoroughly unpleasant on all fronts), the rest of the ride looks like a family mine train...

...Oh, wait...it is. #-o

My main concern now is that drop. I'm sure the bulk of the ride will be good fun, but dropping vertically while facing horizontally makes me feel ill. (I have no problem with vertical track though).
Wes

If we were to watch Oblivion without seeing anything of the pre-ride build up, you'd say, 'Was that it?'

I'll reserve my judgement.

& Themeing installments would have been delayed, the ride was only handed over Monday? I expect this ride is no way near complete. I can see it closing again for a week soon so that things can be finished.
Dormiens-Dave

I think about 95% of comments on facebook are really negative, i wonder if this could be a mistake on marketing, they made it sound like a nemesis like intense multi-inversion terror machine, and what we are likely to get is a Hex like, immersive thrilling coaster/ effects wonder (i hope).

People are probably feeling a bit short changed, they should have taken a different marketing approach maybe.

But as i have already said the proof of the pudding is in the eating (yum) and i will researve judgement until saturday, god help towers if they have got this wrong.
DiogoJ42

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]god help towers if they have got this wrong.[/quote]
They'd better start [-o< praying then.
simononestop

man! What did you guys expect?

I think its pretty much as I expected... looks all good to me!

I said the wraiths would have nothing to do with it and it was all ways a family coaster!

And I personally don’t like the idea of effects in the main room I think it would spoil it.
A pitch black drop with sound would be much scarier!

It was running at full speed ...why wouldn’t it?

And also the technology has never been done before there is no other coaster like this anywhere! Neither a coaster that drops a level to a track below so I think what they have technically achieved is very good!

Also you would never sell a new product as “oh it’s just a new roller coaster!" that’s not that scary for extreme thrill seekers really... god.

well done alton another good ride to attract the widest posible audience!
Dormiens-Dave

I think people are discussing what others are saying not just what we think and thats why some feel the marketing could have been off focus... but we wont know till saturday!

As for the ride its exactly what i have been expecting since august last year, i just hope theres some effects in the building
zak18

I think that the people who are judging this ride really need to ride first before making a decision. Maybe it was partly due to the marketing that everyone got carried away, but we knew all along that this was going to be an intamin FAMILY coaster, and for a family ride, that is pretty amazing.

Also, I'm guessing that what we saw this morning was just the general ride layout/ mechanics. Think of that with theming, special effects, the build up of the queue line and the creepy music...

No video can do a ride any justice... if any of you have ever been to the london dungeons, you'll know how thrilling that really small drop is. Thirteen's is much bigger AND you get a roller coaster beforehand.

The best thing people can do on saturday is ride it, thinking of it as a family ride, and not compare it to nemesis and oblivion! :D :shock:
TB2

And so it begins...

I always kind of feel the internet, instead of helping a new rides campaign, always hampers it. They've tried so hard to hype the ride up in a similar style to Oblivion and its backfired because there is absolutely no way an Intamin family coaster with bells and whistles can compare to a B&M Monster.

All the throwing of toys out of the pram, could you at least try the thing first before deciding its a disgrace to the Barnes legacy and a waste of 15 million pounds.
They have clearly underestimated the fans' expectations for something truly ground-breaking and frightening here.
well..

1. The park shouldn't give a squat what the fans want. Besides what fans? I never wanted an Intamin rollercoaster in the first place, but the fact is that what we have and its trying to be something a bit different to the rest of the Towers offerings.

2. Congratulations, you've not only bought into the marketing hype, you've bought into your own built up hype as well.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

fishdalf

A rollercoaster like this isn't a problem, it will be a welcome addition to the park. HOWEVER, I feel it's only justified if we then get a big inverting coaster in the next few years, because after all; Alton Towers only has one of them, in my opinion- Nemesis. I know those types of coasters aren't the be-all and end-all, but I believe that's what fans are craving, and giving us Th13teen is the perfect excuse to vent frustration on an anti-coaster, if you like.
DiogoJ42

[quote=""zak18""]The best thing people can do on saturday is ride it, thinking of it as a family ride, and not compare it to nemesis and oblivion! :D :shock:[/quote]
The trouble is that Alton have been hyping this as the next Nemesis / Oblivion.

yes, we all knew what shape the track would be. And yes, we will all be riding it in three days time to find out for ourselves.

But a truly great coaster should make you go " [look at these guns] wow!" From the moment you see it.
moog666

Am just make one point!

Imagine going on Hex with all the music and effects/lighting switched off. How crap would that be? Do you really think Merlin would give the game away just like that? Think the reverse helix will be faster then that and think the whole ride expirience is gonna make alot of you ppl eat your words! Oh and to those who say Alton have overhyped this? I say 90% of the hype came from us so if it is over hyped then we only have ourself to blame!

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.
zak18

The trouble is that Alton have been hyping this as the next Nemesis / Oblivion
As far as I'm aware, Alton have not once marketed th13teen as the next nemesis or oblivion. They have however marketed it as a completely new experience, and surely its lived up to that? :)
smeg_head

Oh dear.

This is Alton's biggest campaign in recent history and thanks to one 5 minute slot on GMTV all my enthusiasm is dampened.

Those of you saying 'but you've only seen it on TV...wait until you experience it' I'm sorry but I don't get that judgement. When I first saw Air & Rita on Blue Peter my enthusiasm heightened. There I was glued to my screen wanting nothing more in the world than to be on those rides. It made the few weeks wait until I visited Alton seem an eternity. Those short segments on Blue Peter were the best promotions for those rides.

Seeing Th13teen on GMTV has not had that effect at all.

Rita was far more worthy of a Secret Weapon tag than this. Of course I will ride 13 in the next few weeks, and I will enjoy it - how can I not? I love coasters. But I am concerned Alton have shot themselves in the foot with the hype for this ride considering the actual end result.
DiogoJ42

Nemy and Blivy were both marketed as the scaryest coaster ever. Same with Th13teen.

Believe me, nothing would give me greater pleasure than being proved wrong! :lol:
fishdalf

[quote=""zak18""]
The trouble is that Alton have been hyping this as the next Nemesis / Oblivion
As far as I'm aware, Alton have not once marketed th13teen as the next nemesis or oblivion. They have however marketed it as a completely new experience, and surely its lived up to that? :)[/quote]
Yes, but they did market as 'Secret Weapon 6', which itself comes with enormous pressure.