SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion Part 2

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Leighton123

Does anyone remember a few years back with the speculation of a 4d coaster in Merrie England? Could it be this? Have some mist in the building, vibration, sound effects, and as Icecream88 said, 3d technology has come a long way, and I could have sworn I read an article about 3d without the glasses...
Enjoy today, look forward to tomorrow, remember yesterday.
chadjcooper1987

[quote=""Dominique""]I'm sure whatever happens inside that building will be amazing, I mean come on technology was the only thing left for Alton to focus a ride around really as:

Nemesis - Themeing of the ride is what makes it so brilliant

Air - The trains

Oblivion - The drop & hole

Th13teen - technology
all three you mention there actually use technology, i thought for a while it was magic that raised the air trains, but actually it was the technology.

It all makes sense when you look @ it like that & they have never dissapointed us with a secret weapon before, each one has been amazing in its own right! Merlin have a lot to make up for after the dissapointment caused when tussauds plonked rita and spinball in there, its been a while since the park had a secret weapon & so thats what makes me think it will be better than any of us expect! Saying that though, would I be correct in thinking this is Merlin's first secret weapon? If so then they will be aware that they will be judged on how well they pull this off... & with Mr Wardley on board again I doubt he would let them drop the standards in terms of a world first.[/quote]
SheikhSam

in feb, half-term the claxon that sounded before each test, did it sound very much like this at

1:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgMllKJu ... re=related
Thorpefandan

SW6's world first will not be a film based element, I'm pretty sure.

I've edited this post cause it failed earlier, sorry.
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

Thorpefandan

[quote=""Leighton123""]Does anyone remember a few years back with the speculation of a 4d coaster in Merrie England? Could it be this? Have some mist in the building, vibration, sound effects, and as Icecream88 said, 3d technology has come a long way, and I could have sworn I read an article about 3d without the glasses...[/quote]

Yh it's called real life. In my understanding 3D is caused by fooling binocular vision, by changing the image seen by either eye, thus seeming 3D. Unless riders get tight fitted glasses I think 3D is not going to happen.

Sorry for the double post, it's my first run in with tapatalk.

dasbudd

Worlds first ride named Th13teen. You heard it here first :lol:
Elliot

It's a world first element.
Anonymous

3D has been done before - alright maybe not on rollercoaster ( i'm not sure) but there have been plenty darkrides with 3d elements - Spooky 3D at Oakwood - Spiderman etc!

I don't think or want 3D to be an option on thirteen!
Khalichanan

Umm, I haven't seen really what 3D looks like nowadays...last 3D film I saw was Honey I Shrunk the Audience at Disney...I even saw Avatar in 2D...

How far has 3D come? ...because really the few 3D things I've seen have been kind of uhh...tacky, and not really frightening because they were obviously not real-life :/

I hope it isn't 3D anyway, but if it's good enough it could work :)
Tetsemine

[quote=""Thorpefandan""]Yh it's called real life.[/quote]

3d tech has come on a long way and as already mentioned by evostance (i believe) it is becoming possible to create a 3d effect like the ones in cinemas without the need for 3d glasses - ie. you can see it properly with the naked eye.
The tech is on its way to be encorporated into 'normal' TV sets, i seem to recall a demo being done on the Gadget Show a year or so back.
Hope that this clears up your understanding of the way the tech is being developed :D
Thorpefandan

I do know how 3D tech works, mainly because my dad has a major role in sony's 3D televisions for Europe. Allthough I hadn't heard of non-glasses tech.

I was just commenting on how this are being made to be 3D, when real life is just this, why try to make something what it allready Is?

I think the worlds first will have a link between the track and show.

Danny

I would be really suprised if the ride used 3D technology. It would be a good idea if there really is screens inside the building that project a film making you belive you are dropping for a while. But other than that I can't see why Th13teen would use 3D stuff
Stu

9 Days from now and we'll know all.

And no it does not use 3D. lol.

It's the track which needs a close eye on...
Wes

I think the track will act like a simulator, you go in and the ride starts to shake, throwing you side to side until you suddently fall through the crypt flying backwards underground and entering the helix.
Stu

LMAO! Cough. Don't forget all the fancy stuff as well...
Wes

On-ride cameras?

(I know its not worlds 1st, but Saw did it last year, just throwing the idea out there)
Josh Murphy

I trust Alton and I trust John Wardley. What I've said all along is that this ride will be dictated by the pshcyological impact rather than the layout it's self. However, it is going to have to be some AMAZING technology/themeing because the layout we currently have is a glorified mine train. I do trust them to make this amazing, but when you consider the comparisons of Nemesis, Oblivion and AIR, especially the former two, they are HUGE boots to fill. It's going to have to be special.

I think a coaster that scares you with your mental fears rather than the fear of going 400ft up in the air or whatever is a wonderful, intelligent conecpet. But it does have to be done extremely well. A ghost train can get a away with making it's fear factor average, but when you build your coaster up to be the scariest thing ever, requriing an age restriction (and yes I know it's a marketing gimmick but they're still putting it out there,) then it's going to have to be amazing.

All I can say is if it's as good as the people making it, and good enough to make that layout terrfying, then it will be up there with one of the best ride experiences in the world. But it is going to take A LOT to do that.

We shall see, can't wait to ride it.
mezza

My worry is that come launch day for this rollercoaster, there's going to be a lot of moaning and alot of disappointment in this thread.

With this subforum just past 13,000 posts (appropriate!) and months, even years of speculation, and talk of full motion simulators, 3d, holograms, etc, I think anything less than the Best.Rollercoaster.Ever. is going to be a real disappointment for a lot of people.

If we go in expecting something unique, thrilling and lots of fun I think we're going to be amazed by this coaster, but if we go in expecting something impossibly brilliant, then, disappointment is inevitable.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
cmpunk771

There is allways people who will moan and come up with ways to make it better
Benedique

[quote=""cmpunk771""]There is allways people who will moan and come up with ways to make it better[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head! As I've never been to the major theme parks in America, for me it's going to be amazing whatever it is, but for those expecting amazing technology to match the likes of Spiderman etc then I think they may be dissapointed, although you never know, Alton may just pull something super amazing out of the bag, I really hope so!