Alton Towers: Closed due to Heavy Snow 21.2.10

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
UnleashedLlama

Just to let people know, the park is closed today due to there being about 6 inches of snow. :( When I phoned up this morning Alton village and the surrounding area was described as being a 'no go' area and hotel guests are being advised not to leave this morning.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad new to anyone who'd planned a trip today. Looks like it's March for the next trip now then. :(
New for 2011]
Joel

Thats weird, Im surprised they are closing completely and not opening indoor rides etc as normal.

I can't get hold of anyone from the resort on all the usual direct numbers, including the hotel switchboards too :(
Vik

Ah yes just noticed, just posted it in Feb 1/2 term (Didn't notice this thread! :shock: ). I have heard the roads around there are fairly bad this morning, with journey times in excess of 30 mins just from Alton.

A few of us had planned to go today as well. Having seen the snow here I thought it wasn't worth the effort to travel, and I am rather glad I didn't set off now. :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

AstroDan

According to the official website, a decision has not yet been made (probably looking at how many staff they have at 9am!).

However, it seems unlikely.

EDIT: Confirmed - PARK CLOSED.
Vik

This is just the second time in it's history that Alton Towers has closed due to extreme weather conditions. The first time was 27th October 2002 when they were forced to close, and cancel that nights fireworks event due to gale force winds, which made it unsafe to operate the rides.

seanyboyuk

breakdown services will have a busy day recovering them 100s of people who dont check and make the trip!
cubwolf

I have tickets to to go Thomas Land today. If Alton cant manage it it looks like i will have some dissapointed grandkids
AstroDan

Thomas Land will probably be open. Most DMP staff live in Tamworth and the routes are a lot more accessible.
themealgang

:cry: Oh dear! It would of been nice to get on Nemesis in the snow! Never mind. Now we have just got to focus on Thirteen and March 20th! :lol:
Last edited by themealgang on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
cubwolf

Cheers AstroDan. Fingers crossed...
Dean

It's melting quite rapidly over in the Burton area...
DannyJ

In Cheshire its still snowing fairly bad which is just north of Alton Towers and i live south of the county.(so quite close) .
I'm Suprised the builders hav'nt give up. :P Do you think the builders will be working there maybe on themeing of the indoor /station area ?
jomo1993

I live about 15mins away, and weve had a load of snow here. Quite shocked theyve closed the park, as you say particularly indoor rides - hex, duel etc, but i suppose it wouldnt be worth opening up for two or three rides. Its probrabbly the most snow ive ever seen in my life, but saying that im only 16 so i dunno.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
DannyJ

Yeah i don,t live to far from cheadle :)
Dean

WaterPark is confirmed as closed too...

Isn't it funny when Alton Towers closes they only get minimal coverage, if this had and been Warwick Castle or Chessington it would be all over the Annual Pass Website.

CLOSED

Picked the wrong day to close...
Last edited by Dean on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jomo1993

According to the website, the waterpark is closed today aswell - which to be honest, is completely beyond me - unless theyve got loads of people going in wanting to go in their instead of the theme park. 8)
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Vik

I'd imagine it would be a staffing issue, with many of them being unable to make it to work this morning.

What are the current weather conditions up that neck of the woods anyway? Have they improved since this morning? As the BBC weather forcast for the area was more heavy snow showers. (I seen a couple of photos of a rather snowy A50 and lanes in even worse conditions.

jomo1993

[quote=""Vik""]I'd imagine it would be a staffing issue, with many of them being unable to make it to work this morning.

What are the current weather conditions up that neck of the woods anyway? Have they improved since this morning? As the BBC weather forcast for the area was more heavy snow showers. (I seen a couple of photos of a rather snowy A50 and lanes in even worse conditions.[/quote]

That is a very good point actually, one of my friends is a room cleaner, and she cant get into work today.

Its stopped snowing here, but theres an awful lot on the ground, and they always have it worse up towers with it being higher up, so im sure its cahos up there. There will always be some people who think the snow is Altons fault lol.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
NickT04

Blimey, good job I didn't set off early then after my footy match was called off this morning. I just presumed it would be open! Oh well, off up the Wrekin we go!
djruggy

Well I came from Kent and no news about it when we left at 8am. Got here ok, but now got nothing to do! The Waterpark is open but it is full up, so I think that is why they have said it is also closed on the website!
Really was looking forward to going on Nemesis! Will have to wait till after Easter now! :(