Does Air Invert?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
FOGplaya

Does Air invert? Technically, you don't. What do you think?
Am i alive with fear, or is fear alive with me?
Kaycee

Yeah. The track inverts 360 degrees. I guess an 'inversion' doesn't necessarily mean the rider rotates over their head.

There's arguably only one real inversion, with two 'half-inversions'.
iNemesis

[quote=""FOGplaya""]Does Air invert? Technically, you don't. What do you think?[/quote]

Um, don't reckon so. You are never actually upsidown, are you-? Then again, I suppose what Kaycee says is also true. Depends what you term to be an 'inversion'..
Chris W

My opinion of an inversion is if you rotate around the track by more than 270 degrees.
So you flip over and then a little bit more.

It probably differs between enthusiasts.
FOGplaya

an inversion in my book is when your head is over your heart
Am i alive with fear, or is fear alive with me?
Kaycee

To me, an inversion is to do with the track... if you say 'Nemesis has four inversions', I'd think you were saying that at four times along the circuit, the track flips over 360degrees.
JakFrontier

erm yes considering air is inverted (i know its flying but it is incverted)
Mikey

I thought the technical term for an inversion was when your head is lower than you legs? In which case, Air inverts you like 10 times. I don't think the term inversion can be really used with flyers... hmm
If you\'re reading this post it means I have emerged from my TTF cave during my annual forage for food.
djdan14

i wont go on coasters that invert in the traditional sense, yet il still go on air :D
John

For fliers, I consider an inversion to be any element where the track goes vertically downwards, as that would put you in the same position as inversions on other coasters do.

By that definition, loops and pretzel loops are inversions, corkscrews and inlines are not, and air is not an inverting flier.
Doopy Dan

Yes it does invert, as your still inverted from the normal position.

An inversion is not just a loop or what ever other element.
Inverting does not mean you have to be upside down relative to the earth, it can be relative to anything.

You invert because the car is opposite to how it was, eg a coaster car the right way up, then upside down, thats an invert of what it was.

You could invert black by making it white, two exact opposites.

You invert on Air in the way that your facing the ground one moment, then the sky the next the exact opposite, as you have inverted from one position to the next.

Back when air was been built i seem to remeber the name Aerial Inversion Rollercoaster (air) been used quite alot by John Wardley and enthusiasts alike.
Rob L

I say it does invert, but in a different way to other coasters. You are flipped over on Air and face the sky rather than the ground, thats being inverted to me. It is an interesting question though as you can class inverting as different things, but one thing that's certain is that fliers like Manta with pretzel loops definitely invert as I'll find out later this year! :D

Kaycee

I think Doopy Dan knocked it on the head - Air has its prone 'flying' position and that's its default state throughout the ride, and the track 'inverts' meaning at one point you rotate 360 degrees.

The literal meaning of the word 'inversion' will be more to do with what Dan said rather than implying a rider must rotate over their head. It'll be more to do with the train rotating 360 from its default position.
Mr P

I reckon that an inversion on air is when your going down, 'cos your legs are in the air!
furie

Inverted - being in such a position that top and bottom are reversed.

Definition of the word (always worth looking at).

Of course, top and bottom are relative terms. As the coaster (actual coaster, not station) has you in a position where your belly is at the bottom and your back at the top - then in relative terms, it is inverted whenever your belly is facing upwards and your back downwards.

Another definition though is:
invert
Verb
1. to turn upside down or inside out

In this case, upside down would be determined by your own personal definition of the right way up (feet down, head at the top for most people I imagine).

However, I would always take a statement within context, and with relation to the situation. So in this case, you could pedantically state it doesn't, but it does mean you have to ignore context and relative positions so it would be a poor stance.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
oldgitBEN

RCDB - Air

according to RCDB it has two, but then goes onto state 3 elements. I suspect it means the fly-to-lie and lie-to-fly are counted as a half each and the full roll is another.

Id say it does invert its just because of the position you are in, if hypothetically you were ontop of the track or under it you would invert so using the "it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, poos like a duck... its probably a duck" methodology Im happy to conclude Air does invert.

ps - doesnt john wardly on some video like point to the twist and say "through that inversion" or something similar, and we all know he cant be argued with.
kingda dude

According to the tracks and rules of roller coasters it inverts you twice
(An inversion is at any point in the ride where a train is flipped over 180 degrees from the normal position)
But from a riders point of view it doesn't since it doesn't actually tip you upside down

Personally I am glad it doesn't take its passengers vertically down (the only position where the rider is upside down) because when I went on superman ultimate flight at SFGAv all I can say is going throughout the pretzel loop with that harness gives you a 'strange abdominal sensation' which can put you off your food for the rest of the day.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"