SW6 Ride Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Vik

I'm not sure what to believe; Shawns 'revelations', or the fact that I just sat and watched one of his videos. :shock:

While some people on here idolize Shawn, remember his source is likely to be someone who works at Towers, and as any regular visitor will know, some will tell you anything. So just because it is Shawn, who no doubt has a lot of respect from his worshippers and non worshippers, it dosent mean it is genuine.

If I remember rightly though, they do not need any planning permission for installing a new ride on the old Black Hole site providing it is within the current tent. This is what I heard a few years back. Not sure if it was during the event held for the last day of the Black Hole, or the behind the scenes tour.

Would be nice to have 2 new coasters, but I guess time will tell. B&M?, well until we get some official confirmation, which I think will be a long while off, if ever, or see some track on site,my bettings still on Mack or possibly Premiere.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

havaska

I don't see why they can't open two coasters in one season though; a second coaster in the Black Hole tent doesn't necessitate that it's "major". I mean, Spinball Whizzer is only a minor ride when you think about it. Plus, if Alton are serious about becoming a real resort (and Merlin seem pretty serious about it), they do need a lot of expansion, so it's not beyond the truth.

Personally, I believe Sanbrooke is telling the truth, I just don't know if the person that gave him the information was!
Mikey

[quote=""ShootTheCore""][quote=""duckman""]When was the last time an established theme park opened two major coasters in one year, has it even happened?

This is surely too good to be true, the only part that seems even vaguely likely is the rita re-paint.[/quote]
Magic Mountain once planned to build three major rollercoasters in one year.

[url=http://www.rcdb.com/document37.htm" target="_blank]http://www.rcdb.com/document37.htm[/url][/quote]

That was right in the middle of six flags BUILD BUILD BUILD phase when they were adding coasters to their parks willy nilly. Hence why they got in to financial bother.

As far as opening two major coasters in one year... no way will that happen. I'd love it to happen, but no way...
If you\'re reading this post it means I have emerged from my TTF cave during my annual forage for food.
Magical Ryan

Plus isnt it Alton's 30th Birthday since being made a theme park? :D
Wes

My 'source' says your 'source' is wrong. :wink:
havaska

Quick thought - who says a coaster in the Black Hole tent will actually open in 2010? They could easily build it there and just mothball it and open it in 2011 as a new ride for whatever reason.
Chris W

How many times have we been had on now then? I think I've lost count. Its pretty obvious everyone is going to be cautious over the 'revelations'.

I won't judge, just comment on what was said.
  • Rita being repainted is not a big shock. But by the end of the season? Hmm....
  • B&M being the ride manufacturer is good news to me. Especially as the plans would suggest a much smaller ride than what B&M would normally be involved with.
  • A new ride in the Black Hole tent has been on the cards for years. But like some have said. Two rollercoasters in one year would be unusual. It would blow the other UK parks who are planning rides in 2010 away.
Would Shawn risk his reputation?
Wes

There in NO financial benefit for Merlin or Alton Towers to contruct 2 large scale attractions in the same year.

So the source that told you this clearly is having you on.

It won't be a B&M and we won't be seeing more than one Roller Coaster on park next year. As for Rita being green - again, I doubt it.
Mankey

[quote=""havaska""]I don't see why they can't open two coasters in one season though; a second coaster in the Black Hole tent doesn't necessitate that it's "major". I mean, Spinball Whizzer is only a minor ride when you think about it. Plus, if Alton are serious about becoming a real resort (and Merlin seem pretty serious about it), they do need a lot of expansion, so it's not beyond the truth.

Personally, I believe Sanbrooke is telling the truth, I just don't know if the person that gave him the information was![/quote]

This is the thing... its ALOT of money... 1 major investment plus another coaster...

Hmm... I know Shawn wouldn't lie about this kinda thing, but as most people are saying, is his source reliable?

[quote=""SanbrookeProductions (On Youtube)""]
We would say more about the source but we dont want anyone to get into bother over anything.[/quote]

Someone losing their job over this? :P
Back from hibernation!
Magical Ryan

If its the same source from where he got the information about sealife from I would say its pretty relliable!
Mikey

There are certain advantages of opening 2 new coasters next year, but I still don't think it'll happen.

DMP are supposed to be opening a new coaster next year. Imagine the marketing AT would do with 2 coasters, and what sort of person would rather go to a park which has opened one new coaster, when theres a park just as far away which has opened 2?

And from what Shawn said, it sounds like a Sierra Sidewinder at Knotts Berry Farm model of coaster.

But I still don't believe it :P
If you\'re reading this post it means I have emerged from my TTF cave during my annual forage for food.
John

A thought on a possible rita repaint: assuming it were to happen, would it possible to complete it in the time taken to perform the annual rope change?

Still, that's easily the least shocking of the three pieces of info, and after all that's gone before I'm going to steer well clear of the other two.
salty10

I wouldnt class this ride that is going in the black hole tent a major attraction but i never knew alton towers would be willing to invest about 15 to 18 million pounds in one year i mean come on thats a universal or disney budget which im sure alton towers can become one day and to do that this is the only way forward. If universal can open an entire theme park all at once with hundreds of attractions invested in, im sure alton towers can invest about £15 million or so as saw the ride cost £13.5 million or what ever so another couple of million wont hurt.
http]
AdamJ

Is it wrong to say if you believe the info in that video, you'll believe anything? ;)
Vik

[quote=""havaska""]Quick thought - who says a coaster in the Black Hole tent will actually open in 2010? They could easily build it there and just mothball it and open it in 2011 as a new ride for whatever reason.[/quote]

Don't think they would build a ride and mothball it for 12 months before even opening it to the public. It just wouldn't be worth the investment. It's value will be depriciating by the day, and just sitting there doing nothing. Thus, the overall cost of ride will be a lot higher than it would of been if opened in 2010.

But nothing to worry about, I very much doubt we will be seeing a coaster in there for 2010. Someone's been had. You wern't there today were you STC :lol:. I heard a little rumour that someone was planning to wind him up. :shock:
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

seanyboyuk

I think i go with shawns theory in his latest video. It seems to make sense and would fit in the size of building to be built. I am just going to read and wait till next year me thinks!
Johno

I am really wondering about whether this is Shaun being unreliably informed.

Or if it's true.

It could be a good marketing exercise. Dunno, can't see it happening.
Jon

I'm not sure that the information is true, but I am sure that Shawn knows/thinks that it's true. He's an honest enthusaist. I trust that he thinks he knows what he's talking about.

I'll refrain from expanding on my thoughts at the new information until it is confirmed.

Unless he's a dark horse hoaxer!
Formerly "Dagoo"
Mankey

[quote=""Mikey""]And from what Shawn said, it sounds like a Sierra Sidewinder at Knotts Berry Farm model of coaster.[/quote]

That would make it a Mack... if it was that I would be in heaven!

Euromir at Alton Towers! WOO! :P Complete with rotating rave lift hill!

I can dream! :(
Back from hibernation!
Kaycee

Very interesting! Sounds almost too good to be true! :D I have reservations, but we do have to hand it to Shawn - he is a pretty reliable source in himself.

I'm just going to coast through the next few months with an open mind regarding next year until we have something concrete. Regarding budget though - this is the first major year for Alton Towers under Merlin... do we really have any idea of what budget they have?