2010: Secret Weapon Six Part Three

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Satch

[quote=""Kaycee""]Bwaaaaa, OK, can I explicitly confirm that I have it from a Towers representative that Dr. Henry Rockwell is a hoax and nothing to do with the marketing team at the park.

Seriously... all this detective work is completely futile. And all it does is make it increasingly unlikely Towers will bother to do their own.[/quote]

In an ideal world, this would be enough to a)stop the videos from being posted, b) stop people speculating over the legitimacy of the videos when they are posted, and c) allow this topic to get back to SW6 speculation alone

And I would just like to point out a fact. At no point have I, or anybody else, accused Adrian Baggot of being behind any of this. I would love to know why he may think he is a suspect. Quite frankly, he himself had not entered mine, or anybody elses, heads, let alone have any connection formed between these hoaxes and Ade.

I guess some people believe they are owed more credit than they are worth?
Last edited by Satch on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris W

There is nothing left to speculate about, its all been done, thousands of times over.
That will probably be one of the reasons for these videos to start popping up.

We are stuck until something big starts to happen.
Mikey

It seems like what is a harmless couple of videos in youtube has spiralled ridiculously out of control. Where these accusations are flying from I don't know, but let's just ignore all this.

The Dr Rockwell videos have never claimed to be SW6 teasers in the first place. It's amazing what a few key words will have people assume.
If you\'re reading this post it means I have emerged from my TTF cave during my annual forage for food.
Rob L

Those pictures of the site are a breath of fresh air, even if you can't really see much on them. Now that some groundwork has started I just hope that it carries on at a decent pace and then in a couple of months or so we might actually see something physical such as concrete foundations for the station building. I'm looking forward to seeing how construction takes place during the season, it should hopefully be very exciting.

adsyrah

[quote=""Rob""] I'm looking forward to seeing how construction takes place during the season, it should hopefully be very exciting.[/quote]

I wonder how they'll build the ride. Will all the track be placed before the station building is erected?

If so, I wonder if they'll put a screen up to obscure what can be seen to try keep what happens in the building secret until opening day.

Or maybe it'll be like Oblivion and they'll not start track building until closed season.

So many questions!
Kaycee

It's going to be really interesting watching construction with such little concrete knowledge of the ride, will be like slowly piecing the jigsaw together over time, very exciting. :D
Rob L

The one thing I'm almost certain that we won't be seeing constructed during the season is whatever happens inside the station building at the end of the ride, and I actually hope that's the case. Alton will probably want to try and keep it a secret, and it would be great on opening day next year going on SW6 not knowing what to expect at the end. It could be a tilt, the track could suddenly drop or fall down, who knows? It just all adds to the excitement of the project. :D

mezza

this might be a dumb question but surely for a coaster with an indoor section, you build the coaster track and then construct the building around it? Otherwise how would you get the track sections into the building? Does this mean that we'll see what goes on with the track before they construct the station building?
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
rightbackgranty

Im hoping that they hide from us what the "worlds first element" will be. I imagine that the track would go up first, with the station being built around it. However, if they were to use large scaffolding and covering around the station building, then they could hide the construction of the mystery indoor section from the public.

Theres even the possibility that construction of the ride itself will take place during the closed season. The plans showed fairly extensive ground work, which may take several months to complete, before coaster construction even begins.
PeteB

Is there anything to say there wont be a huge pit inside the building? Alton love to dig....
Rob L

[quote=""mezza""]this might be a dumb question but surely for a coaster with an indoor section, you build the coaster track and then construct the building around it? Otherwise how would you get the track sections into the building? Does this mean that we'll see what goes on with the track before they construct the station building?[/quote]

Yes it is true that usually the track would be built before the building, but I doubt that any of the track at the end of the ride in the station building will be constructed until the season is over, meaning we won't know what happens. This of course depends whether or not there are any construction pictures over the closed season, but if Alton don't want us to know what goes on in the building I'm sure they will make sure no-one sees a thing. So I expect the track to go up after the season has ended, the track in the station building anyway, and then they can construct the building after that.

And.

Backtracking ever so slightly because I haven't been online since last night...

[quote=""leroy2009jones""]Did Henry submit his first video to the police? as it clearly shows someone being dragged away. If that isn't cause for concern I dont know what is! That is, if were meant to belive these videos are genuine....
This ride better be Fantastic and Fabulous at the same time :)[/quote]

Did Alton Towers call in Environmental Protection, the RSPCA, the Police and the Military when the Nemesis monster was uncovered.

No they bloody well didn't.

They are not going to do any such thing if/when a REAL viral campaign is begun. People don't really care about that sort of detail in theme park stories. The same goes with the likes of Hex and Oblivion too.

Hell, they've even got a load of un-fenced animals running around the middle of Riverbank Eye Spy. Should we call in Animal Control? :roll:

I think some people are getting far to bogged down in the detail.

- - - -

RE Construction.

I'd imagine that we'll see the foundations for the footers and the buildings going in soon-ish, followed by the supports and the track, then the building going up around the track.

Definately heading towards exciting times.
Dylan

I'm imagining it will be the summer months before we see any real progress.
Saw construction at TP didnt really kick off until July. I would have thought the first couple of months for SW6 will be excavation works and maybe some work out in the woods ready for the supports
Joe Koopa

I think I'm just going to leave all the video stuff behind, unless something completly concrete comes up. Maybe AltonTowers will create a YouTube page, so we will definatley be sure it's from the park and not just someone trying to wind us all up.
By the way, construction seems to have been going well so far. Will the space where the hole is, be the place where the station building is? :)
rightbackgranty

[quote=""Koopa-Troopa""]
By the way, construction seems to have been going well so far. Will the space where the hole is, be the place where the station building is? :)[/quote]

Glad to hear that! I've not seen pictures myself, but we do know that part of the ride (the backwards helix) is part underground - perhaps the hole is for that part of the track. Who knows though, foundations for a rollercoaster have got to be pretty deep - the hole might be for the "mystery sections" footers, especially if its going to be under a lot of stress.

One question I've always wondered about - where does the second switchback occur in terms of the old corkscrew site? Does it go further back, into the woods behind Burger King, or is the helix smaller than I imagine it to be, so the switchback occurs within the clearing that is already there?
Dylan

I would imagine there will be an almighty hole or holes, for the lower level station and the trench for the backwards section.

From looking at the plans, the second switchback will be within the Corkscrew footprint, kind of in the position of the top of the lift hill The underground / low level helix seems to wrap around the existing trees that have been left in the middle of the cleared site, so the switchback area would be to the left of the trees, as you are looking at the site from Rita's queueline.
El Patricko

Well im fairly sure there are going to be some excavations underneath the tilt section, and they will have to construct the track and supports separately from the building as the building is a static structure and the track is a moving structure.

The final helix is larger than the first helix at the start of the ride, which leads me to believe that there is some form of propulsion in the building, as the helix would be utterly forceless, not dissimilar to going round a roundabout in the back seats of a minivan, without somekind of "launch".

You can also trace the supports "straddling" the bottom layer of track back to directly beneath the top layer, so the likelihood of there being any exciting element in there is minimal.

One of two theories in my opinion. Either it is a large excavation following the helix round its course or, it is somekind of launch on the tilt (when the train is at a 30 or so degree angle it will be much easier to "push" down the slope). And since i can't see where the excavated material has been put (ala oblivion mound) and on the belief if they had it they would use it. I will say some excavations will take place, but not on a massive scale, so for now, launch backwards i would say (be it a fairly weak one).

Try and get more "excavations" than that into a post :wink:
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
havaska

Has anyone considered the fact that it might just be a 'normal' roller coaster? Alton don't have one save for the Beastie (which doesn't really count).
Chris W

The plans show that its a lot more than just a 'normal' rollercoaster.
The scale of the station building proves that its going to be worthy of being named along Oblivion, Air and Nemesis.

It will be in a totally different league than the Beastie.
James

Mind you the ride is doing exctally what it says on the tin: Secret Weapon Six.

It's great seeing construction starting even if it is just a little hole. I'm looking forward to the rest of construction :D .