2010: Secret Weapon Six Part Three

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
JakFrontier

Hmm, Thorpe fanboys had their fun with Saw, now its our turn :twisted:
Joe Koopa

[quote=""leroy2009jones""]Its as well as all the "eerrrm" 's he says between sentences.[/quote]

He probably did it to act confused.
By the way, that video is the best one but don't know what to believe after all the ShootTheCore/MaudeDeNeville stuff.

[quote=""Crofty""]I'm making a hoax video, anyone want to be in it? :lol:
[/quote]

I'll be in it, would be a good way to get rid of me for a few days. :lol:
leroy2009jones

[quote=""Koopa-Troopa""][quote=""leroy2009jones""] as well as all the "eerrrm" 's he says between sentences.[/quote]

He probably did it to act confused. [/quote]

He was confused when he decided to make all these hoax videos!

Clearly someone on TowersTimes and ATA got bored with the lack of new info regarding this ride and thought by making hoax videos Alton Towers would have to release some info to disprove them.
Kaycee

All it's doing is making it less likely that Alton Towers will do their own viral marketing campaign. Such a shame, in my opinion! :(
Mikey

[quote=""Kaycee""]All it's doing is making it less likely that Alton Towers will do their own viral marketing campaign. Such a shame, in my opinion! :([/quote]
Why do you think it makes it less likely? If I was AT, I'd see that if a fanboy can create all this fuss, then they could create 10 times the fuss!
If you\'re reading this post it means I have emerged from my TTF cave during my annual forage for food.
Kaycee

Well yeah, tell them that then! :P The thing is, after so many hoaxes... why spend the money doing it when people are doing it for them for free (even if the info isn't the same), and it's not gonna be quite the same if we're all so used to these 'campaigns', that we're just like 'yeah yeah... next!'?
Mikey

You edited! Now I have to edit!:

Well if these are hoaxes, then they're not the story AT want to associate with the ride, so it may encourage them to kick start something of their own? I don't know...

These videos haven't even suggested they're anything to do with SW6 anyway!
Last edited by Mikey on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you\'re reading this post it means I have emerged from my TTF cave during my annual forage for food.
leroy2009jones

There's a difference between Fanboy's getting excited and the general public. What percentage of the UK public do you think knows the corkscrews even gone?
rightbackgranty

[quote=""leroy2009jones""]There's a difference between Fanboy's getting excited and the general public. What percentage of the UK public do you think knows the corkscrews even gone?[/quote]

Quite a large number I think you'll find. There was quite an extensive midlands campaign, and friends in London that arent "fanboys" knew that it was going. Not sure what this has to do with the discussion though ;)

Going to believe And. If someone that works with him doesnt think its him, then thats a pretty good pointer. The video could have been made by another person though.

I know its been said that those videos have been filmed behind Alton Towers, but can we be sure?
leroy2009jones

[quote=""rightbackgranty""][quote=""leroy2009jones""]There's a difference between Fanboy's getting excited and the general public. What percentage of the UK public do you think knows the corkscrews even gone?[/quote]

Quite a large number I think you'll find. There was quite an extensive midlands campaign, and friends in London that arent "fanboys" knew that it was going. Not sure what this has to do with the discussion though ;)
[/quote]

The point is, viral marketing aint going to attract a large amount of the public. Discounting coaster enthusiasts, Fanboy's and your "friends" in London, that still leaves approximately 60 Million uk public that don't even know the Corkscrews gone!
Dr Henry Rockwell and SW6 video's haven't even attracted over 9000 views!
What attracts the masses is adverts on the telly during coronation street lol
Last edited by leroy2009jones on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris W

I'd say a lot of people will not know that the Corkscrew has gone, yes it may have been on the news but I know a few people that didn't know that it had gone and even if they did would they really care? It was only a rollercoaster and a pretty poor one at that (Compared with the others in the park).

I can see the videos dying down once the ride becomes more official and constructions starts.
We know so little about the ride it gives people a much greater opportunity to exploit our lack of knowledge.
Mikey

[quote=""leroy2009jones""][quote=""rightbackgranty""][quote=""leroy2009jones""]There's a difference between Fanboy's getting excited and the general public. What percentage of the UK public do you think knows the corkscrews even gone?[/quote]

[/quote]

The point is, viral marketing aint going to attract a large amount of the public. Discounting coaster enthusiasts, Fanboy's and your "friends" in London, that still leaves approximately 60 Million uk public that don't even know the Corkscrews gone![/quote]

To be honest, there is probably a hefty percentage of those people who never knew it was there to begin with.

To most people, a coaster is a coaster. When I'm at a park with non-enthusiast friends they often ask 'whats the difference between Nemesis and Air, they look the same' or 'Oh, I thought this Nemesis had the same layout as the one at Thorpe park'.

Or maybe my mates are just a bit thick.
leroy2009jones

Precisely Mikey, most of the people I talk to remember the last major attraction being the Black Hole.
Alton couldn't care less about getting people on here excited, their advertising campaign starts on site, and with clever adverts on TV that you remember hearing - "dum de dum de dum dum dum, dum dum dum, dum dum dum"
(a.k.a Hall of the Mountain King)
rightbackgranty

Leroy, I appreciated your comments about corkscrew, fair point, but I still actually think that viral marketing would be worth it. It might not reach every member of the public, but look at the target it can reach - todays younger generation that use youtube. They are the members of the public that can nag their parents to take them to Alton Towers, something that cannot be underestimated.

Im sure that a national campaign will emerge, a lot like Thorpe did for Saw: The Ride, and pull in a higher proportion of people than any viral campaign. However, viral campaigns are far cheaper than the television counterparts - there isn't a fee for posting a series of videos on youtube, whereas a 30 second spot at primetime TV costs a small fortune!

I hope that they still run one.
Anonymous

I think its real. Not a Hoax.

Amazing really. Did you hear what was said at the end! - Spooky!
leroy2009jones

[quote=""rightbackgranty""]Leroy, I appreciated your comments about corkscrew, fair point, but I still actually think that viral marketing would be worth it. It might not reach every member of the public, but look at the target it can reach - todays younger generation that use youtube. They are the members of the public that can nag their parents to take them to Alton Towers, something that cannot be underestimated.

Im sure that a national campaign will emerge, a lot like Thorpe did for Saw: The Ride, and pull in a higher proportion of people than any viral campaign. However, viral campaigns are far cheaper than the television counterparts - there isn't a fee for posting a series of videos on youtube, whereas a 30 second spot at primetime TV costs a small fortune!

I hope that they still run one.[/quote]

Here is what's wrong with what you just said: -
"It might not reach every member of the public, but look at the target it can reach - todays younger generation that use youtube"
Alton Towers want to be seen as a family orientated Resort, this tactic might have been useful during the marketing of Oblivion, but not now.
Alton have proven time and time again that their methods of advertising are successful without the need to entertain a few people on the internet.
Please see this from Towersnerd: -
[url=http://www.towersnerd.com/news/item.php?id=51" target="_blank]http://www.towersnerd.com/news/item.php?id=51[/url]
Sanbrooke Productions

Ok i've just being sent an email From Mr Rockwell:
Firstly, let me introduce myself. My name is Dr Henry Charles Rockwell and I have been working with Alton Towers on a huge excavation project since early 2001. My identity had always been kept secret as I wanted to remain out of the 'public eye' in terms of theme park enthusiasts.

However, recent developments have caused a change in what I am aiming to achieve. The legend of the Chained Oak has, as you may well know, been one of huge mystery and no one at the resort, including myself, has ever truly believed it. That has all changed.

Deep in the valleys, a few minutes off the theme park itself, an ancient burial ground was discovered. Now I know this all sounds made up and something to bring excitement to the new project but it isn't. Four bodies were found, believed to be dated from the time of The Earl's existence. Until the carbon dating process has finished we wont know for sure.

Moreover, the planned new ride (codenamed: SW6) is going to be set around this story. The story of how since the bodies were discovered (September 24th of last year) the unearthly goings on around the site and the Towers itself have become apparent.

I can reveal to you that I do in fact have video evidence of the goings on around the wooded grave-site, I cannot however show you. Merlin will not let me show the videos and therefore mock ones have been made, although not very impressive ones.

Hex has also been affected by the disturbance as last year (around October) the ride malfunctioned 3 times (when it hadn't ever before since its opening). It also began to overheat on numerous occasions during the Halloween events.

I am telling you all this as I believe you and your viewers will indeed create hype behind the ride. And before you ask, who were the bodies of? 3 of them currently remain unidentified, 1 is known as The Night Watchman.

I give my full permission, and not that of the resort, to quote anything you have read in this email

I will keep you posted,

Dr Rockwell
:?
Last edited by Sanbrooke Productions on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIan

Not last Sunday, but the Sunday before, Me and Lisa were on the Skyride to Rita Land, erm, I mean Ug Land, and some of the other guests were talking about what rides were in Ug Land, and they still though Corkscrew was there.

Oh Well

Hopefully by the end of May there will be something Physical for us to get excited over :)

I am still expecting this to be a well themed fun family ride, but I am still looking forward to it, and think it will be a great addition to the park.

Ian
rightbackgranty

You ignored the fact that I said "nag their parents to take them to Alton Towers". Children and Parents usually make up families - definitely reaching the family resort market. That said, theres nothing wrong with trying to attract a core group over the internet, that can tell their friends / nag their parents to go to Alton Towers. If it costs a few hundren pounds to run a viral campaign (look what Thorpe did: a man with a camera and a building site), but interest 1000 people, its a massive profit.

I cant see how cheap advertising to the thousands that use youtube every day is a bad thing, but never mind :)

There's no need to argue just for the case of arguing - I agreed with you for the majority of my post, but you still managed to pick it apart and find something to argue about. Why?

EDIT:

Nice work Shawn, but I'm skeptical now. It still could be fabricated.
Last edited by rightbackgranty on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Shawn, what email address did you recieve that from?

Don't be lead on, it won't be real.