2010: Secret Weapon Six Part Three

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AstroDan

Since the previous two SW6 topics were getting a little crowded, here's a brand new one, now that the plans have been approved! For those of you who want to view the old topics, all is not lost!

TOPIC ONE HERE!

TOPIC TWO HERE!

This first post in the topic will have updated snippets of main information picked from the discussion on the coming pages, and will be frequently updated by the team. If there is something that we manage to miss and feel it should be in here though, PM one of us and we'll consider adding it! To kick things off, here's a roundup of what we know so far.

Plans are available on the TT SW6 Mini Site. Please note our SW6 mini site is a work in progress, and will be completed shortly once the approval details are available.

Also available is the...Staffordshire Moorlands Planning Portal

The coaster design
Theme-wise, it seems there will be a haunted wood style theme with the station themed around some sort of castle. Manufacturers currently being rumoured are the likes of Premier Rides, Saw:The Ride manufacturer Gerstlauer and Rita manufacturer Intamin.

Related TT News Articles
- October 5th 2008 : Further Details on the Coming Years
- December 9th 2008 : 2010 Planning Application Made
- January 28th 2009: Hill Fort may delay new rollercoaster
- March 8th 2009: 2010 Rollercoaster decision expected this week (supplementary planning report)
- March 12th 2009: 2010 Rollercoaster approved!

QUOTE FROM 12TH MARCH TT NEWS:
2010 Rollercoaster Approved!

Alton Towers will have a new rollercoaster for the 2010 season. "Secret Weapon Six", as it has been codenamed, will replace the Corkscrew which left the park in November 2008.

Staffordshire Moorlands District Council held their committee meeting today, 12th March, and approved the ride a little before 5.00pm after several hours deliberation.

As soon as we have more details on any conditions, we shall of course keep you in the know.

The journey to 2010 starts here!
popTART

I am so glad SW6 has got approved now we don't have to worry i cant wait for this new coaster.
James

Nice minisite there, glad its been approved and can't wait! This will be my first time at seeing a large coaster being built at Alton.

Is the coaster defintally a Secret Weapon?
Mattmash

The Sentinel have finally got around to announcing it too. Slow coaches lol. :P

[url=http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/ne ... ticle.html" target="_blank]http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/ne ... ticle.html[/url]

Nothing in the article really that we didn't already know. Hopefully there may be more tomorrow.
Wes

Offically Secret Weapon now then? :wink: :D
towers freak

Im so ecstatic that SW6 is going ahead. Cant wait to see it being built and finding out what's so special about this worlds first coaster. Roll on 2010 :D
davidaiow

The public planning portal states that not all planning is put in the public domain.
Now my somewhat large theory is...are these plans which we've seen real?! Obviously the planning authority have the real ones- this could be the reason it took so long?
No? Well I'm holding out for a B&M still so I'll continue to delude myslef.

Again though, great news!
Chris W

[quote=""davidaiow""]The public planning portal states that not all planning is put in the public domain.
Now my somewhat large theory is...are these plans which we've seen real?! Obviously the planning authority have the real ones- this could be the reason it took so long?
No? Well I'm holding out for a B&M still so I'll continue to delude myslef.

Again though, great news![/quote]

There's a difference between creating fake plans and not displaying any plans.
The plans on the portal are real.

The minutes for the meeting should hopefully be up by the end of next week at the latest.
Joe Koopa

I am so happy this got approved. :)
WillXav

It's a secret weapon :) and it's approved - good times
AstroDan

Right... now that the ride has been APPROVED (that sounds so good), how do people fancy Alton beginning a steady stream of marketing?

I would love to see odd images and connections to the 2010 ride appearing on the website, and perhaps they can put up odd posters around the park, that have subtle links to it?

I would love them to create a bit of a frenzy with the marketing for it - and I hope they start soon.

It's going to be a very exciting 2009 season as we see works progress, it's going to be a great time for these forums!

:)
spark

Yes Dan i agree with you, i hope we see something like this, I know that Rita didnt manage to make as much interest as say Air did
AstroDan

They didn't know they were building Rita until mid-late summer 2004 - this ride is around 5 months in advance of where Rita was - so we have plenty of time to create a stir a la Air and Oblivion.

:)
Tommy

Air's marketing was really good in my opinion, and although I wasn't really 'around' for Oblivion, from what i've heard it made a very good entrance to the park.

I know that Rita had a slight go at it but never really built anything up for it. I think something along the lines of what we've seen for Saw so far, I really think that a 'hype' has been built for it. If that could be re-created, or even bettered then it'll be truly amazin'
Chris W

Hopefully they will use the same marketing company as they currently have.

They have some really clever ideas and their influence on a large-scale in-park and out of park campaign could be massive.

Rita is a very popular ride so the management should not miss out on the opportunity of advertising on construction boards around the building site.
stigzy

Intamin! Intamin! Intamin! It's got to be, surely?! Really good news is this and chuffed that Towers are finally, after all these numbing years of family this, family that, giving the enthusiasts a new toy!
James

I'd like to see a mix of Oblivion and Air marketing used. I think the ride should be heavily advertised across the park with posters around the park, a big construction fence like the Oblivion one and actors near the construction site or around the park.

There hasn't been a project this big now since 2002 so Alton should really pull all the stops out marketing wise.
furie

Premier Rides, and I'll cut all my hair off if it isn't! :P

I love the look of this, the interaction of it. It's very similar to the detail that Hex has, and I suspect similar from the inner gubbins. Like Hex, the ride is simple, yet detailed in execution. It's an attention grabber. Well, in my dreams it is....
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Jon

[quote=""AstroDan""]Right... now that the ride has been APPROVED (that sounds so good), how do people fancy Alton beginning a steady stream of marketing?

I would love to see odd images and connections to the 2010 ride appearing on the website, and perhaps they can put up odd posters around the park, that have subtle links to it?

I would love them to create a bit of a frenzy with the marketing for it - and I hope they start soon.

It's going to be a very exciting 2009 season as we see works progress, it's going to be a great time for these forums!

:)[/quote]

I was thinking about this the other day. I had an idea. The fat empty space that is quite clearly meant to fill something could be used to really dramatic effect. Oblivion had its hole, SW6 has this expanse. I thought that right in the centre they could put that hooded monk statue, on a pedestal, with an suggestive sign such as "Prepare for 2010" or some sort of slogan, or something. I think that because the area will be particularity viewable by ever rider of Rita during the 2009 season, it would be insane not to show it off. I think that single statue in the very middle of the area until construction means it needs to be moved, would be highly effective. Like the scarecrow in the FOTS, but much more effective and seen by many more people.

I keep thinking that its way far in the future. But its really not. This time next season kids!
Formerly "Dagoo"
formula1fan

This is fantastic news! SW6 is finally going to be built! I sincerely hope that it's going to be good, and judging from the plans, it will be.