Oblivion - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
FOGplaya

Oblivion is my fav ride.

But what if the planning had been refused, ~AIR would have happened instead, would that have affected AT in general

AND Oblivion is technically not Straight down its 97 degrees. :(
Am i alive with fear, or is fear alive with me?
Nathan

Air wouldn't have happened in 1998, the technology wasn't ready then.

And Oblivion's drop is 87 degrees.
Joe Koopa

[quote=""Mackem Lad""]Air wouldn't have happened in 1998, the technology wasn't ready then.[/quote]

Air actually could have happened in 1998. I was certain that I had once read somewhere that B&M were not ready to install Air, so Oblivion came about instead. :)

Apologizes if I dreamt this.
Chris W

[quote=""Koopa-Troopa""][quote=""Mackem Lad""]Air wouldn't have happened in 1998, the technology wasn't ready then.[/quote]

Air actually could have happened in 1998. I was certain that I had once read somewhere that B&M were not ready to install Air, so Oblivion came about instead. :)

Apologizes if I dreamt this.
[/quote]

Surely if B&M weren't ready to install Air that meant that the technology was not ready?

Air wasn't ready in 2002, nevermind in 1998.
Corkscrewed

^ something like that, Which kinda disproves your point.

How could it of happened in 1998, if B&M weren't ready to install Air... in 1998? :P
stigzy

I wonder how long Oblivion will last! It was great that it was a world first (even though it really wasn't) But, thats the whole point of the ride, it's vertical drop and nothing else. Which is hardly a selling point any more, what with the likes of Speed and others alike. And especially now since Alton's gobby young sister Thorpe Park has come along and erected a coaster packed with lots of elements & features - one of which happens to be a beyond vertical drop! So I wonder, how long Oblivion will last before it becomes the next forgotten Corkscrew?!
Tommy

I can't see Oblivion going anywhere anytime soon. Fair enough Thorpe have come along with Saw, but thats at Thorpe. Oblivion is a highlight at Alton Towers if you ask me, and no matter how many new rides come onto the scene, it still doesn't get rid of the fact Oblivion is a really good ride.

Whereas in Corkscrews case it was getting rather tired.
Crofty

I think Oblivion has the edge over it's rival purely because the up close and in your face element. You can rarely stand that close to a coaster that you feel the rush of air in your face as it flys past. The size of the track makes it stand out in it's self.
Oblivion is also well suited to the area with the steep slopes of X-sector, I think it'll be around for a good few years to come yet.

:D :D
FOGplaya

[quote=""Mackem Lad""]
And Oblivion's drop is 87 degrees.
[/quote]
Yeah soz i got confused :oops:
Am i alive with fear, or is fear alive with me?
Joe Koopa

[quote=""stigzy""] So I wonder, how long Oblivion will last before it becomes the next forgotten Corkscrew?![/quote]

I think Oblivion has got a good few years left in it, atlesast ten. The thing with Oblivion, compared to eurofighters, is the whole 'Fear-Factor'. The holding brake (which actually doesen't work all the time) & the pit filled with smoke. I just think that Oblivion is a good ride, because it simply does what people expect from roller-coasters-To Be Scared! :D
nemesisrocks!

Oblivion is scary, I think its going to last until 2020 but the queue is short :twisted:
Last edited by nemesisrocks! on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reckless And Relentless - Asking Alexandria
towers freak

[quote=""Mackem Lad""]And Oblivion's drop is 87 degrees.[/quote]
Technically Oblivions drop is 88.8 degrees
Tommy

I've never heard of it being 88.8 degrees..

But either way, that's still not vertical, but with that much in it, it's too close to call really.
Pennywise

[quote=""Koopa-Troopa""][quote=""stigzy""] So I wonder, how long Oblivion will last before it becomes the next forgotten Corkscrew?![/quote]

I think Oblivion has got a good few years left in it, atlesast ten. The thing with Oblivion, compared to eurofighters, is the whole 'Fear-Factor'. The holding brake (which actually doesen't work all the time) & the pit filled with smoke. I just think that Oblivion is a good ride, because it simply does what people expect from roller-coasters-To Be Scared! :D [/quote]

And SAW won't be scary. I honestly find dropping just under a row of blades more thrilling than a holding brake.

(And I pressed thanks instead of quote by accident. #-o )
Jon

The drop on a more-than-vertical Eurofighter isn't even comparible to that of Oblvions. Oblivion makes any eurofighter look like a toy roller coaster, if I'm honest. A eurofighter's looks promise more than what it does. "wow a verticle drop and fifty-million loops. That must mean its better than Nemesis and Oblivion combined". NO! A eurofighter is tight, compact, cheap and rough. Good fun, but nowhere near the awesome feeling you get from Oblivion.
Formerly "Dagoo"
furie

It's the sheer scale of Oblivion and, as Crofty said, the way you're so close to it.

Nothing really compares to the noise and sight of it as you enter X-Sector. It's massive, and the trains roaring into the hole and vanishing, with the screams is actually quite stunning. I still know people who just point blank will not go near Oblivion, despite doing pretty much anything else anywhere in the world.

It's got a lot of life left in it yet, and a lot more newcomers to scare before it leaves X-Sector. Remember, the nearest Dive Machine is still a long way off and out of the reach of most visitors to UK theme parks.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
stigzy

I tend to agree, I personally and realistically speaking can't see it moving for some time yet. Without Nemesis, I think Oblivion would possibly take the signature ride position. And given its glittering history and the ride in general it would without question or doubt deserve it!

It takes multiple nerve racking re-rides before the ride becomes numb or it does/did at least for me anyway. The trouble for me now, is just that, it's become numb! The novelty has worn off, and without the novelty factor of the ride, there’s nothing more to it other than the drop. Which isn't all that 'wow' of a feature when the novelty's gone. Whereas on the other hand a roller coaster which has elements and features, still has the elements and features as a solid back up when the novelty where’s off on the said roller coaster. Maybe it's just me being a bit too hardcore with it, or is it?

But consider this. From my experience, out of all the big players at Alton Towers, Oblivion, though it still managers to rack up a fairly big queue on some days. It never nearly gets half as big as what the queue does on the other big boi's at Towers. In fact, I've been on busy hustle and bustle days and the queue's been relatively small considering what it usually would or should be! Realistically though I personally can't see it putting on its coat and walking off for many years yet. But, I do think it is the weakest big ride out of the big rides at Towers, including Spinball Whizzer.
Chris W

Oblivion has a greater fear factor for me than Nemesis. These days I don't get nervous riding Nemesis.
Oblivion still gives me the buzz going up the lift hill and queueing.
Joe Koopa

[quote=""Disco Ball""]Oblivion has a greater fear factor for me than Nemesis. These days I don't get nervous riding Nemesis.[/quote]

To be honest, I never got any fear-factor riding Nemesis. Oblivion, on the other hand, I was petrified. 8-[
chip
Location: Somewhere near the middle of nowhere but nolonger actually in the middle of nowhere, nearish Towers!

Is there anyway that instead of, when the time comes, oblivion leaving which won't be for a while; that it is instead updated. I don't really know how but maybe the track after the drop but before the turn that it could be taken out behind BH tent and then back to the brake run? It would give it a bit more of an edge, and maybe a barrel roll.

Oblivion the new experiment or something?