2010: Secret Weapon 6 Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Craig

Since the previous SW6 topic was getting a little crowded, here's a brand new one for 2009. For those of you who want to view the old topic, all is not lost it can be found HERE!

This first post in the topic will have updated snippets of main information picked from the discussion on the coming pages, and will be constantly updated by the team. If there is something that we manage to miss and feel it should be in here though, PM one of us and we'll consider adding it! To kick things off, here's a roundup of what we know so far.

Planning Permission
A planning application has been submitted, with a decision expected by 5th February. So far no associated documents are online, although the planning office have advised they should be available within days. However, some photos of the plans have appeared online:

- Plan of the overall area
- Visual impact shots
- Visual impact shot 1
- Visual impact shot 2
- Visual impact shot 3
- Overview of planning documents

Thanks to TTF Member Bailey for the above images

Update 11th JanPlans have now been posted on the Staffordshire Moorlands Planning Portal

The coaster design
A diagram was uploaded to the ECC Website showing a layout of the new ride which includes 2 switchbacks, allowing the coaster to change direction.

Theme-wise, it seems there will be a haunted wood style theme with the station themed around some sort of castle. Manufacturers currently being rumoured are the likes of Premier Rides, Saw:The Ride manufacturer Gerstlauer and Rita manufacturer Intamin.

Related TT News Articles
- October 5th 2008 : Further Details on the Coming Years
- December 9th 2008 : 2010 Planning Application Made
Nemair

Although many people are fretting over this Cattle gate queue, this could well just be a rough mockup just to give the planning department a general idea of the area used. Remember, this ride is opening in 2010 so I guess we probably have much more detailed plans re the theming, landscaping and queue to come.
Chris-TT

The plans are already very detailed. When I was at the planning office there was about 12 plans that go into detail about the theming and ride layout. They should be online shortly the planning office are just a bit behind as theres a lot to scan in.
It goes into as much detail as the Saw plans.
ghulam786

Does anyone know when exactly the full planning documents will come online? I've no patience and can't wait 4 them.
Last edited by ghulam786 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coaster maniac
Craig

[quote=""ghulam786""]Does anyone know when exactly the full planning documents will come online? I've no patience and can't wait 4 them.[/quote]

There are no exact dates when they will come online ghulam, as Chris said it's just due to the amount of work they have to do. Just keep checking the planning portal site, the direct link to the application is here
Big Dave

Dont think i explained myself properly before. I dont mean a literal big dipper, but it seems like the whole idea is about speed and large drops and swoops.
rightbackgranty

I'd be quite pleased with a dipping coaster. Something that makes you feel like you're going really fast - moving quickly through trees, sharp bends and hugging the ground would be really fun.

Im a litle disappointed by the cattle grid queueline, but I think that as it is hidden by the trees, It will be quite an enjoyable experience. I dont think whether or not we can say the Rita queueline is changing yet as the planning applicaion doesnt cover Rita?

Im still very excited about this ride. John Wardley is involved, woodland is involved. Switchbacks are involved, with a pretty large "indoor" ride area. Im tempted to visit Leek just to see the plans!
Ash

Drops dont look as big as i hoped :(
stretchy

Hey Guys.

Looking at the queue line image (- Plan of the overall area) , there are a couple of areas that i am unsure what are. Each of these areas are about a 40% (light) grey with a green outline. There all have crinkled edges. I am wondering if they are Rock based theme-ing. For example shortly after the start of the queue, the queue line seems to go through one of these grey areas. Also shortly further into the queue there is a larger one of these grey areas on the queues left (the right of the page) which odly enough has a rectangle inside it.

Any Ideas chaps and Chapesses
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Vanessa Feltz

I think a ground hugging coaster would be good actually, It makes you think you're going faster, especially whipping past trees and that sort.

It looks like a brilliant Idea.

John
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
Wortho

After looking at the visual impact plans, I'm not sold on the ECC's drawings, they look to different, for example the visual impact shots show that there is alot more track in the woods, and the ECC drawing just looks to plain and basic, The 2 just don't match up. Looking at the plans certain parts to me point towards an intamin mega-light and if so with theme park review giving them a really good rating, it is getting me excited if it is the case, I reakon the world first may either refer to a certain element to the ride of theme like thorpe parks saw and not a whole new coaster design.
CoasterCrazyChris

What's really annoying me about this whole thing is how they're deeming this new ride as "Corkscrews replacement". It really gets under my fingernails when I keep hearing this.

ATM i'm not initially worried about SW6, just about the structure of Ug Land in the future, Rita and XCoaster, is that it?
Joe Koopa

Thanks for the new topic! The old one was getting really crowded. :roll:
I can't wait until the more detailed planning comes avadible as it seems I have waited for ages.
I don't think that people should just be dissapointed by one line, beside the videos, Oblivion line's not that good.
Paulb235

Once the main plans are on the planning portal everything will fall into place. The ECC outline will fit, as I was the one that rescued the plans!!

Hopefully Alton will get planning granted.

Regards

Paul
NickT04

When the online planning applications says expiray date, does that mean that is the date application will be granted/denied?
BIan

I wonder what the maximum height different is going to be with you include the actual train on it?

And if that question was asked, would Alton have to provide an answer for it to get planning permission granted?

Ian
haydn!

Taking a second look, maybe Rita's queue will change?

It's just the part that is labeled "exit path" ends right in the middle near the photo booth... for people to be able to get back into Ug Land Rita's queue surely must be redirected?
oldgitBEN

ive played with the queue line picture and you can see both ritas queue and SW6 entry/exit too

Click
Thom

[quote=""haydn!""]Taking a second look, maybe Rita's queue will change?

It's just the part that is labeled "exit path" ends right in the middle near the photo booth... for people to be able to get back into Ug Land Rita's queue surely must be redirected?[/quote]

Corkie's current queue/exit path (which SW6 will exit along, follow the green line) is directly runs next to the back of Rita's pen, the plan of the cattle pen isn't that accurate in terms of fences so the fact there isn't one between the exit path and the pen is a bit of an error. Rita's queue/SW6 exit path wont change as it's not marked as different on the plan...

Thom...
haydn!

[quote=""Thom""][quote=""haydn!""]Taking a second look, maybe Rita's queue will change?

It's just the part that is labeled "exit path" ends right in the middle near the photo booth... for people to be able to get back into Ug Land Rita's queue surely must be redirected?[/quote]

Corkie's current queue/exit path (which SW6 will exit along, follow the green line) is directly runs next to the back of Rita's pen, the plan of the cattle pen isn't that accurate in terms of fences so the fact there isn't one between the exit path and the pen is a bit of an error. Rita's queue/SW6 exit path wont change as it's not marked as different on the plan...

Thom...[/quote]

It's just lazy!!