Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
jonathan leake

Thats the thing im not to sure how much of the land is now owned by Oakwood after Aspro bourght it. But i know the family before owned the land around the park and im sure also owned and run the farm. The thing is that its still now a working farm and i dont think aspro would run it. So the farm owners may of kept some of the land round the park to farm on. Am i making any sence?
Dara

Making perfect sense to me :D i think that the family will own the farmland around the park still, but like i said, the fact that the sheep are still often seen under Megafobia, there must be some complex arangement between Aspro and the family meaning that each other's land can be used if necessary. So if Aspro saw enough potential in the park and wanted to build a new ride which would require new land, i dare say they could buy an area from Paddy and family with little difficulty
Joe Koopa

The park really does need something new, the thing is there's not much space. Yet there are many un-space consuming rides you could have. I think an impulse coaster could work well in the park and a mini-launched coaster like Dameon.
Dara

What's Dameon?? Couldn't find it on RCDB
jonathan leake

I think even something like a boomorang coaster would be good at Oakwood.
Dara

Oh god no!! I'd hate to see a Boomerang at Oakwood. They're in the businness of trying to be unique and inovative in the UK, with their new installations. A Boomerang would send the wrong message and certainly not put the park on the map among enthusiasts which is what they are trying to do, and have always done successfully with the likes of Megafobia and Hydro
scruffy_

Is Oakwood ever open at christmas?
DiogoJ42

Oakwood needs a B&M Hyper! No need to worry about lack of space, just build on top of the existing rides!
Dara

[quote=""scruffy_""]Is Oakwood ever open at christmas?[/quote]

No not any more. For a few years during the 90s, Playtown opened during winter, but this was stopped some years ago.

Cannaston Bowl, which is the bowling and crystal maze entertainment centre owned by the park, is open all year round
jonathan leake

Yea that Cannaston Bowl is a really nice place. Also their a indoor water park next door to Oakwood called Blue Lagoon and that open all year round although iv never been in their so im not sure what its like.
Dara

The Blue Lagoon is a very new indoor centre which is part of the Bluestone project. Despite being so close, Bluestone actually has nothing to do with the park and is run by a completely different company.
jonathan leake

[quote=""Dara""]The Blue Lagoon is a very new indoor centre which is part of the Bluestone project. Despite being so close, Bluestone actually has nothing to do with the park and is run by a completely different company.[/quote]

Are yes sorry i didnt make my post very clear. I know it nouthing to do with Oakwood i was just stating that its open all year. He asked wether Oakwood was open during xmas made he think he my be in the area that time of year and that he might like to visit blue lagoon.

Thanks Jon
Crofty

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7790137.stm" target="_blank]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7790137.stm[/url]

£250,000 fine and £80,000 costs for the death of Hayley Williams in 2004.
The CCTV footage shows this is not an isolated incident as 70.8 per cent of passengers did not have their restraints tested on the day of the incident.
Bad news for the owners of Oakwood. I'm not sure a fine like this will do any good, i'd expect the death of a young girl to have more of an effect on the way safety systems are checked.
I'm not sure how the company will be able to afford to absorb a cost like this.

At least the case is now over.
DiogoJ42

when I went with the ECC in August, Hydro had been fitted with OTSRs and lap belts. they were checking and re-checking them, which meant a boat was dispatched roughly every 2 and a half minutes.

I'm all for saftey, but surely there is a quicker way?
Bolton Warrior

[quote=""Diogoj42""]when I went with the ECC in August, Hydro had been fitted with OTSRs and lap belts. they were checking and re-checking them, which meant a boat was dispatched roughly every 2 and a half minutes.
[/quote]
It was the same when we went last year. It was the most uncomfortable ride I have had on anything ever, they pushed the harness down that much that I could only breath shallow. No chance of me doing it again.

As for the fine, well with all the things that did not happen which should have happened I suppose it could have been a lot worse for them.
Jon

Demand for Hydro is never altogether high. For the sake of the park's and guest's reassurance, waiting a little longer is worth it really.
Formerly "Dagoo"
CoasterCrazyChris

Hydro looks a right monstrosity at Oakwood. It really is an isoaur. They should of built a water ride which looked better aesthetically and blended with its surroundings.

In all honesty the rides' a bit pointless.

No theme of to speak, and you just come off stupidly wet through.

Tidal Wave at TP is by no means immense, but at least you have some sort of theme and plot to relate to whilst you are riding it.
Dara

Its official!! In 2009 the 13 YEAR tradition of After Dark will not be going ahead. Instead of the much loved 10pm closings in August that have been happening since 1996, this year Oakwood will be closing a whopping 4 hours earlier at 6pm

[url=http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/plan/opening.asp" target="_blank]http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/plan/opening.asp[/url]

I'm extremely disappointed but, since the new owners are now running the show, not at all suprised

RIP AFTER DARK: 1996-2008 :(
Joe Koopa

[quote=""Dara""]Its official!! In 2009 the 13 YEAR tradition of After Dark will not be going ahead. Instead of the much loved 10pm closings in August that have been happening since 1996, this year Oakwood will be closing a whopping 4 hours earlier at 6pm

[url=http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/plan/opening.asp" target="_blank]http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/plan/opening.asp[/url]

I'm extremely disappointed but, since the new owners are now running the show, not at all suprised

RIP AFTER DARK: 1996-2008 :([/quote]

:(
Just as I was going to go to Oakwood again for the fireworks.
I blame the sue they got.
Dara

To be honest i think that this is actually the first noticable sign of Aspro (the new owners) cutting back and being very stingy towards the park. They took over Oakwood in March of last year, at which point the publicity and planning for After Dark 2008 had alreay been made. This is Aspro's first year at the healm, and they obviously see After Dark as a waste of money. Such a shame, after 13 years :evil: I'm really not impressed at all
:(