Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

Oakwood HAS to be good value, because people have to remortgage their houses to afford the petrol to get there!

:lol:
CoasterCrazyChris

Oakwood's location is brilliant. As good as Alton Towers anyway (4 hours drive 4 me). It's very rural and it's good that Wales has a decent theme park. I love Oakwood. It's so different to any other theme park. :D

It represents everything Alton Towers does not have (a woodie, shoot-the-chutes, eurofighter, drop tower and the 'Vertigo' ride). :)
Dunny#1

It is in the middle of nowhere lol Last time i went there was because my dad was raicng motocross just on the otherside of the hill and i went to oakwood, a few years back now thoguh!
Dara

Does anyone have any photos of the inside of Hydro's station? If not, i'm going to the park on saturday so will try to get some. This is a really well themed station with fishing scenery and themed posters everywhere, theming which i reckon is easily as good as Stormforce 10, or even Tidal Wave.
If all rides at Oakwood could be themed as well as Hydro, i dont think this topic would even exist. It's just the general appearance of Speed's area which i reckon has given Oakwood something of a bad name in terms of theming and presentation
haydn!

The themeing on Stormforce 10 is some of the best in the UK. Infact quite alot of Drayton Manor's attempts have been impressive, and some not so.
Dara

The theming on Stormforce 10 is great, and several other areas of Drayton are really well themed, however i'd say that the queue and station for Hydro make it a really well themed ride- not the best theming in the world i admit, but for Oakwood (where theming often isn't given much attention in some areas) i'd say Hydro's theming is outstanding. If you look at the colour scheme, the fishing nets and scenery throughout the station and the queue, the themed posters, the surf shack. etc., it looks really impressive, which is why it really suprises me when people only mention New Orleans as the only themed area of the park. I consider New Orleans theming to be a little dull and not that thourough, Hydro's theming on the other habd, is pretty unique and really good quality, which is why, in discussions relating to theming, it suprises me that Hydro is rarely mentioned. I'll try and get some pics of the station and queue line on saturday to show you what i mean
scruffy_

Any new rides/attractions planned for next year??
What would you like to see?

discuss :D
Dara

Woooo! Oakwood now has a thread :D , deserves one as well, its an awesome park!
Well the official website has been updated for the closed season, the park will re-open on Saturday 4th April at 10am, Matt the Magic Man will be making a return in 2009, but there's no mention of any other 2009 events yet, although there is a picture of fireworks which suggests After Dark will be returning for its 13th season (hopefully) :D [url=http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/events/events.asp" target="_blank]http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/events/events.asp[/url]

Thats, i think, all we know at this stage, no word on any new rides. Because of Aspro taking over the park there seems to have recently been a break in the 3 year tradition of installing thrill rides: Megafobia-1996, Bounce-1999, Hydro-2002, Speed-2005 (was meant to open in 2005 but was delayed due to the Hydro incident)

Nice thread though, glad to see it here :D
Ash

Woop, this is a park id love to see grow and grow!

Uhh i think a really good Dark Attraction would be nice? Perhaps a Vekoma Inverter or something? A good Rapids ride?

Perhaps if the park started to try and lay out the park into different areas
jonathan leake

I would love to see a good log flume or rapids ride at Oakwood. Or an S&S screaming swing
CoasterCrazyChris

I think the main problem with Oakwood is space, they haven't got enough for rapids or a flume. Hydro may be a very dominating ride, but it doesn't actually take up that much space.
Dara

Yes, space is an issue. Also, the landscape around the park would need to be considered. When the park opened in 1987, not one tree was disturbed and this is the way it should stay as the trees really add to the atmosphere and uniquness of the park. Any new ride would need to take this into account.
Personally, i'd like to see the pirate ship re-located and the Goalstrkier tent which is next to it removed. This would free up a large area, not enough for a log flume, but certainly enough for an S&S Screaming Swing, which was suggested in a previous post. Personally i'd like to see the Spooky 3D ghost train replaced by a better quality dark ride, with an interactive element like on Duel.
scruffy_

dont they own all the surrounding land though so plenty of room for expansion if needed? Would love to see a new coaster there, wasnt there rumours of another woodie a while ago?
jonathan leake

Yea they do own quite a bit of the land around the park. I also heard about another woodie a while ago not sure if it was true or not.
Dara

I also herad these rumours about a second woodie, and i expect that this has nothing to do with the park, but i noticed this season there have been huge piles of wood in area near Speed's lift, but i'm not sure if this area is owned by the park or not, it may just be a farm and the wood there for another reason.

Also, a random question, but does anyone know who owns the sheep that live under Megafobia? :lol:
jonathan leake

I always thourght that the people that owned the farm owned oakwood. Thing is now Oakwod has been sold to Aspro (or what ever it is) im not sure how much they do own. I doubt that they bourght the farm as well as the farm still seems to be a working farm so a guess they own the sheep. This is quite confusing also who owns Blue Lagoon is that Asparo or some one else cause i know that used to be their land.
CoasterCrazyChris

I don't think the park should build another woodie. Absolutely not. Megafobia may be ace but one woodie per park is enough, plus there are lots of other rides that Oakwood lack that are are almost expected at "theme" parks these days. Don't get me wrong it's still a great park but if they do have substancial room to expand a flume or raipids ride is essential they should invest in next.

As far as making defined areas on park; why do this? That's what makes Oakwood so unique. :)
Dara

[quote=""jonathan leake""]I always thourght that the people that owned the farm owned oakwood. Thing is now Oakwod has been sold to Aspro (or what ever it is) im not sure how much they do own. I doubt that they bourght the farm as well as the farm still seems to be a working farm so a guess they own the sheep. This is quite confusing also who owns Blue Lagoon is that Asparo or some one else cause i know that used to be their land.[/quote]

The Blue Lagoon and Bluestone holiday park are nothing to do with Oakwood, neither Aspro or the previuos owners were concerned with it, so if the land was previuously owned by Oakwood, it ust have been sold to the company developing the Bluestone project.

The area around the park is still a working farm from what i see and that could be Aspro, but then it could equally be still owned by the McNarmah (spelling :lol: ) family, and the park by Aspro. If this is the case, the sheep under Megafobia are the main question. They are not always under Megafobia, they are sometimes in a different field, behind the park. If Aspro own the park but not the farmland, this would have to be some sort of complicated agreement between the family and Aspro, which would allow the family to still let their sheep into the area under Megafobia, which will obvioulsy be Aspro's land.

CoasterCrazyChris, I agree that oakwood should not have seperate defined areas of the park, its better without them. Also, in a way i think its good that they dont have alot of the rides you may "expect" at theme parks, as this is another reason why Oakwood is unique. Instead of having a traditional log flume and rapids circuit, they have the far more unique Waterfall and Hydro, which you wouldn't find at any other parks. As Oakwood is so small, if they were just to fill it up with bland rides that you see at every park, it would lose the unique character and atmosphere that it now has
jonathan leake

Thanks for the info. I know were your comeing from wiv the whole unique thing but t be honsit my mum came wiv to to Oakwood that last time i went and shes really not into rides. Now she will go on things like Log Flumes and Rapids but i would give every member on this forum a million quid if she ever went on Hydro or Waterfall. To be honist their wasnt much for my mum to do at Oakwood atall. They seem to have etheir quite intence rides of really small kids rides. They do need a Rapid or Log Flume ride.
scruffy_

Is there alot of room for things like that on the current park land?