Spinball Failure 07.10.08

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Starlight expresser

hi guys,

around 3pm today spinball incurred a fault. Everyone had to be removed with harnesses etc. Then the work staff had to get in the karts so the weight of them would make them go but this didnt happen also as it didnt have enough power to get round circuit. Total nightmare

Andy
bobblebob

I was there today. It seems to be running (or could be testing) at 5pm

What happened then?
Big Dave

If it was reallly heavy rain which did happen later today, it could have gone too fast through the brakes and caused a fault. Not really sure, normally no fault apart from an electrical problem that cannot be reset, causes them to evacuate.

P.s. I wouldnt call in a major failure. Nothing major failed, it simply wasnt working. A failure suggests a structural or mechanical problem.
bobblebob

Evacuation isnt normal either tho. Normally you remain on the ride until its fixed (happened to Nemisis today when riders were stuck on it 20 mins or so) so must have been a major failure that either risked safety or couldnt be fixed quickly
Ash

Its happened before, ive seen the ride stall on the Immelman turn when empty.

Meh
Magical Ryan

[quote=""Ash""]Its happened before, ive seen the ride stall on the Immelman turn when empty.

Meh[/quote]
Yeh I Have seen the video to that. :D
[url=" target="_blank][/url]
bobblebob

Didnt know it was possible to get stuck there, thought gravity would just take effect. That place and on the drop to Oblivion have to be the worst places to get stuck
Doopy Dan

Evacuation isnt normal either tho. Normally you remain on the ride until its fixed (happened to Nemisis today when riders were stuck on it 20 mins or so) so must have been a major failure that either risked safety or couldnt be fixed quickly
In reality it is though, hense why they have evacuation stairs and platforms.
jordi20012002

Surely some guests would be affected mentally with the stress of being lowered out of a ride in a harness?
SpinballFan

[quote=""bobblebob""]Didnt know it was possible to get stuck there, thought gravity would just take effect. That place and on the drop to Oblivion have to be the worst places to get stuck[/quote]

The ride has strategically placed brakes all around it, in 7 places if I recall correctly. We were there a few weeks ago when some muppet was spotted by the operator with his phone out, just going up the first climb (sorry only a novice so don't know the technical terms of the various parts!). The entire ride was stopped for roughly 15 minutes while an operator had to climb up to the car and remove his phone. Whilst this was happening, all cars were 'stopped' in the various braking points.
Mini_Wortho

lol me cousion works on that.
i think that spinball is shocking it always breaks down very month
AltonThorpe

With the video phone thingy, at Thorpe Park Nemesis Inferno got stuck coz some chavvy hole had his phone out. Then a couple o' hours later Some other Noob did the same thing #-o :x
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
bobblebob

If they weant to use their phone let them, its their phone they will loose
Dunny#1

[quote=""bobblebob""]If they weant to use their phone let them, its their phone they will loose[/quote]
Nah that is not the point, if they drop it on someone in the queue line or on another car, Alton will be the ones that get in trouble.
bobblebob

[quote=""Dunny#1""][quote=""bobblebob""]If they weant to use their phone let them, its their phone they will loose[/quote]
Nah that is not the point, if they drop it on someone in the queue line or on another car, Alton will be the ones that get in trouble.[/quote]

Ah right, fair enough.

Loads must get away with it tho, just type a ride name followed by 'POV' into youtube and you get loads of videos
Dunny#1

[quote=""bobblebob""][quote=""Dunny#1""][quote=""bobblebob""]If they weant to use their phone let them, its their phone they will loose[/quote]
Nah that is not the point, if they drop it on someone in the queue line or on another car, Alton will be the ones that get in trouble.[/quote]

Ah right, fair enough.

Loads must get away with it tho, just type a ride name followed by 'POV' into youtube and you get loads of videos[/quote]
Yea, to be hoenst i used to want to do it, but i was scared i would damage my camera :P
SpinballFan

It is incredibly annoying though to see the ride stop for 20minutes just because someone is being a numpty.

Personally, I think they should lose a finger for it :mrgreen: