Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Bolton Warrior

Taken from the BPB guide

BRITAIN TO BID FAREWELL TO THE NATION’S MOST ICONIC ROLLERCOASTER

The Alton Towers Resort announces the end of an era as Europe’s first double loop rollercoaster, the Corkscrew, is to be taken down.

The 1980’s was an era defined by icons; Michael Jackson, Margaret Thatcher…and Europe’s first double-helix rollercoaster, the Corkscrew, at the Alton Towers Resort. After 28 fantastic years of generating exciting family fun and creating profound memories as the first ever rollercoaster experienced by thousands, the time has come for big kids everywhere to say goodbye to Britain’s most iconic ride. On 9th November 2008, the Corkscrew will unleash its double-loop drama for the last time before being taken down.

The Corkscrew, a ride that has led the way for rollercoasters in both Great Britain and the World over, has continued to thrill for almost three decades. Unveiled to an audience of over 30,000 visitors in April 1980, the popular rollercoaster has been a hit with all ages, from the just tall enough, brave 8 year olds to the granddads, riding to prove they’re never too old to have fun.

Over the 28 years, the Corkscrew has carried a whopping 43.5 million riders and has travelled over 820,000 miles to date – the equivalent distance of travelling to the moon and back nearly four times.

Russell Barnes, Divisional Director for the Alton Towers Resort said:
“The Corkscrew has played a key part in the heritage of the Alton Towers Resort, and I am sure millions of our guests will look back with fond memories of the first time they were inverted upside down twice within 3 seconds! We are extremely proud to have hosted Europe’s first double helix rollercoaster, but it is now the right time to say goodbye to the attraction as we look forward to continuing to pioneer fantastic family entertainment of the future”.

The Alton Towers Resort is currently planning an event to celebrate the Corkscrew’s 28 years of operation to be held on Sunday 9th November – see [url=http://www.altontowers.com/corkscrew" target="_blank]http://www.altontowers.com/corkscrew[/url] for more details.

The Alton Towers Resort, part of the Merlin Entertainments Group, is home to the UK's best-loved theme park with 2 hotels, a waterpark, a spa, an extraordinary golf course, and nineteenth century gothic towers. It is located in 500 acres of Staffordshire countryside and offers a unique combination of rides and attractions for all ages, from soft play areas for tiny toddlers to ground-breaking, world-first adrenalin inducing rollercoaster rides.

First Installed 1980
Opening Date 4th April 1980
Location Ug Land
Cost £1.25 million
Manufacturer Vekoma
Designer Arrow Dynamics
Weight 350 tonnes
Track Length 728 metres
Height Of Drop 23 metres
Maximum Speed 44 mph (70 km/h)
Maximum G Force 3.1 G
Ride Duration Approx. 1 minute, 45 seconds
Capacity 24 per train
Throughput 43,449,840 people
Total Cycles 1,810,410
Distance Travelled 1,317,978.48 Kilometres/ 818,953.31 Miles
Seating Arrangement 2 trains, 6 cars per train, 2 row per car, 2 seats per row
Restraint Type Shoulder restraints
Height Restriction 1.2 metres

Since the rollercoaster was opened in 1980:

• Britain voted in the first female Prime Minister
• The World Wide Web was invented
• British rock stars raised £150 Million for Africa through Live Aid
• The world celebrated the Millennium
• Britain and America went to war in Iraq
• Britain brought back a record medal haul at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

Source: Alton Towers

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The time has come.

:cry:
notts nat

RIP Corky my 1st real rollercoater :( :-({|=
Dara

Well i'd never have believed it!! :shock:
So what's going in it's place? In fact, is it even going to be dismatled? Really hope they dont leave it SBNO like so many other rides in the past... Black Hole, Bone Shaker, Vintage Cars..... SBNO is just not what we want!!!
Liam

[quote=""coastergraham""]Since the rollercoaster was opened in 1980:

• Britain voted in the first female Prime Minister
• The World Wide Web was invented
• British rock stars raised £150 Million for Africa through Live Aid
• The world celebrated the Millennium
• Britain and America went to war in Iraq
• Britain brought back a record medal haul at the 2008 Beijing Olympics[/quote]

Nice to see how quickly Alton Towers staff can get bored. Obviously not much happened between 1985 and 2000. :P

Let's hope they don't do the same in planning the new area.
Bolton Warrior

I actually feel quite sad today about this news that I have put on here for us all.

I am one of a few of us who can remember the ride was it was brand new with wet paint so to speak :lol:

As a 7 year old I can remember looking at the ride like I was star struck, I had total admiration for the brave souls who went on it after the 2 hour queues.

In a way I admire Alton for the decision that must have been a tough one with the rides history and all. But to stay on top of your game you have to move on and give the public new and improved rides or else you end up with less people coming through the gate.

I will be there though on the final day to have a few last rides on her before she is gone for good. :(
Craig

Well can't say it wasn't expected! Nice to see Alton doing a proper event for its closure though, mucks up all my plans for end of season though :P.

I can't say I'm its biggest fan in all honesty, I'm not too sentimental about it all really and the sheer state of it at the moment totally warrants it's removal.

Onwards and upwards as they say :D
geraintl

will annual pass holders have to pay extra for this event??
Bolton Warrior

[quote=""geraintl""]will annual pass holders have to pay extra for this event??[/quote]
I did wonder that myself actually :?
barryzola

Quite a shock to me really. First proper rollercoaster i went on, good views and great lift hill sound. It was never going to last forever though and was getting a bit uncomfortable. Goodbye Mr Corkscrew, goodbye forever.

To answer the question above, it looks like the corkscrew day is an additional opening day so everyone will probably have to pay. I could be wrong but i'd be surprised. I'm supposed to be at work on the Sunday night but i'm going to have to book it off and get myself there for the last day. Innit.
popTART

Its a shame i cant make the goodbye event its on a sunday and i be working i have to just ride it the weekend before when i go to the towers.
Its a classic rollercoaster i still like to ride it i love the feeling on the first drop at the back of the train.
Bolton Warrior

I have just spoken to a nice lady called Rachael at the Alton press office.

She has confirmed that Annual Pass holder WILL HAVE access to the park and do not need to pay again for this event :D
caffeine_demon

Oh well - I guess I'll have to go for a late season trip, to say a farewell, something I never managed to do with thunder looper, black hole, beast, altmon mouse, or 4 man bob
AstroDan

I knew this was coming and am deligted that AT have decided to advertise it now! I think ex staff should be given the last ride :wink: and I am sure there are others on here who would agree! :P

I shall definitely be at AT on the 9th November now!

:D:D
Last edited by AstroDan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaycee

Awwwww, part of me wants to go 'woohoo! FINALLY', but it is a little sad. I hope they do something with some of the track - keep a bit on the site with a little plaque or something... :P

It's so funny how things can change, last year at the Customer Council, we were told there was no chance of it leaving any time soon. :lol: Exciting times for there to be such an about-turn!

Wow, this day has been talked about on forums for years... and now it's here, I don't really know what to say. :P:P
dont look down 2005

Ahhhh, I don't post on here much but this is worthy of one.

I have to say I am quite sad about this (despite the fact we all knew it was pretty iminent). Corky was my first 'proper' rollercoaster and I always make sure I have a go on it so I will miss it.

Glad AT are doing this event though to give it a proper farewell...
Shrimpeh

Just heard then news on Radio 1. Kind of happy that it's finally going to be honest :? Even though I like the airtime at the back after first drop.
ShadowTD

Finally! Hopefully this event will be as enjoyable as the BH one, although there's a lot less to 'reveal'.

I'll be there :)
Dagan

So there we go. Its going.

Will be odd to have Alton without the Corkscrew.

I shall definitely be attending the goodbye event. The Black Hole one was good.

I hope they allow some photos inside the ride. Would be nice to get a group shot between the 2 inversions.
Corkscrewed

well, it's over.

I can't claim Corkscrew was my first coaster ever, nor that I ever enjoyed riding it. However, I do really respect that coaster. without it, there would be no Alton Towers, there Would be no Towers Times, and we would all either be twiddling our thumbs or raving about Thorpe Park :P the Corkscrew, which I have only ever ridden once, and only this year, will need to be remembered for what it did for Alton, if not at the park itself, then on here, and the other AT sites, as it made Alton, not by itself of course, but without it, the magic would never have happened.

So I'm thankful that it did, and I'm glad it's leaving with an ounce of Dignity (IE not left there until it falls apart from rust or stuff) and now we can look forward to hopefully a retheme/restructuring of Ugland hopefully in 2010.

RIP Corkscrew, I'll try and ride you again before the end of your last season.

:D