2010: Secret Weapon 6 Part One

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Anonymous

EDIT: 5th October 2008

SECRET WEAPON 6
(AstroDan)

In light of recent comments from Russell Barnes, Divisional Director at Alton Towers - and the forthcoming closure of Corkscrew, with the likely re-location of Ug Swinger, 2010 is set to be a major year in terms of investment at Alton Towers - and could well represent the biggest investment in terms of financial outlay since Air in 2002. The park "want to do something dramatic" on the site of Corkscrew... It appears the park are using the SW6 codename for this project.

In terms of what is likely at the theme park, there are obviously a variety of options. The park could opt for a clear-cut thrill rollercoaster from the likes of Intamin or B&M. The park could opt for the much discussed Wooden rollercoaster or the park could go for a family/thrill hybrid such as Vekoma Mine Train style attraction complete with associated theming and landscaping.

With all of this in mind, the coming 18 months are sure to be some of the most exciting in many years for fans of Alton Towers, and this is great news for everyone with a passion for the park - not least for forums such as this.

To go straight to the page when Corkscrew's removal was announced, please click here

:)

AstroDan
===

AT are considering two new rides, I've just done an online survey thing asking my opinion.

One option RoboArm, basically a robotic arm like in car factories with a seat in it that throws you around all over.

Or a new Roller coaster. "The Rollercoaster ride could incorporate a Switch / Tilt mechanism where a section of track the length of the train tips, tilting the train to a 45 degree angle. The train is then released, possibly backwards, and drops underground by its own weight. It is then held at a dead end, from which it is then released forwards, before diving off through a tunnel. "

They are considering themes, Dark Forest, Creatures, Rock Blaster, Racer and Machines.
Wes

Would these be AT's ideas or your own?
Anonymous

I'd love to take the credit but they are all At's ideas, I took copies of the artwork images which were part of the survey thing, which I would post but don't have a clue how to. To clarify the survey was asking for my opinion on their ideas, not a survey asking for ideas.
Khanage

So they are considering a Robocoaster? (Which don't look that exciting) The second idea sounds quite interesting! Do you think maybe these are ideas for the BH Tent? Interesting stuff...
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Jakob

Would the Roboarm have similarities to this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yln_IGDuOCo ?? :?
(Watch about 30 secs in )

Hope not.. :P !
altontowers1

Is there any other rollercoasters like the one suggested in the worl rcdb maybe :?: .

Because i dont have a clue what your on about lol.

x
Carling cup winners 2011 Birmingham City fc
woody

I dont know whether this is believable or not!

The roboarm concept looks cruddy! I mean imagine the throughput of one of those and they just look rubbish!

The 'new rollercoaster' sounds interesting though but again i wont get excited because this could all be someone making stuff up!

I think the roboarm is exactly the thing someone posted above and the rollercoaster has track that is like a see-saw i think?
Ash

Same old, same old.

*Pinches Salt*

Upload some pictures please!
Liam

[quote=""Ash""]Upload some pictures please![/quote]
Okey Dokey!

CLICKY!

We have to take it with a slight pinch of salt as the origin of these images cannot be confirmed, but they do appear genuine.

Many thanks to bexhex for sharing! :)
Liam

I personally think that view of the tilting rollercoaster is extraordinary - if they could reproduce that in real life with a great layout in the woods/valley, they could have one of the best attractions in the world.

The concept of Dark Forest I think could suit Alton really well. That whole slightly haunted feel is so atmospheric.
Ollie

Wow...the 'Dark Forest Theme' fits in so well with Alton Towers, and I'd prefer 'creatures' over 'machines', for a more realistic and natural theme.

The Racers theme reminds me of Legoland for some odd reason :? but I could see it replacing an Ug Land theme and working well with Rita (obviously :P ).
Khanage

Wow, thanks for those pictures. I must say that rollercoaster idea sounds intriguing to say the least. This would also confirm also the location on the old corkscrew site if true.

This site shows the Roboarm in action but I must say the throughput would be awful which suggests that it may not be true...

http://www.robocoaster.com/content/

Exciting stuff nonetheleg!

Jakob

Where would they put the "Dark Forest" ? Perhaps in the valley, and re-theme Ugland? As that is the only place I can see being a forest of sorts.

Then again in one of the pictures there is Oblivion, which looks like it's been cut from another picture? :? So maybe it's X Sector thats getting a re-theme... With the tilting coaster being in the Blackhole Tent and maybe the roboarms replacing Submission... :?

All in all the pictures look amazing, yet lthey eave me very confused :(
Crofty

Wowsers!
If they managed to pull off something like that first Robo-Arm concept then I would be quite amazed!
I imagine they are talking about the gloomy wood area for the first Two concepts although they could actually be thinking of using the valley.
When i'm thinking about the coasters mentioned throughout all I can think about it Expedition Everest! If they can create anything near as good as that in a ride then we are going to be in for a treat.

Genuine??
Hard to say at this point but TBH the first picture screams genuine while the montages seem a bit home made even though i suspect they are the kind of things used by the marketing lot.
Liam

I think all of them seem to be pointing to UGland and an extension into the woods. There is hardly any room around Gloomy Woods.
Ash

Wow!

How very interesting..and strange!

Stuff like this doesnt normally get out, is it a plant from AT to then see what our reaction is to the pictures? Who needs the customer council when they can just read this topic? :)

Some very interesting pictures, im preparing for massive discussion. This has got to be 2010 as an order would have to be placed for some of these already i imagine if it was for 2009.

So, some things ive discovered "Go to the bottom of the ravine" ? What ravine? The Ug Land one....?

In the pictures we seem to be able to clearly see a Eurofighter, Kuka Arms, Wooden or maybe Expedition Everest type coaster, Lauchned Motorbike Coaster...

They seem to be the main options.

Now i definitely think the Dark Forest is a better option, but with
It would appear that a new area would be created near Ug Land the "Dark Forest" , that would contain the new rides. OR they would install these as part as Ug Land as a racing theme.

Now i definitely think the Dark Forest is a better option, but with more additions to Ug Land, i cant quite grasp wether Ug Land would be re themed dark forest or it would be a new area?
Crofty

[quote=""Liam""]I think all of them seem to be pointing to UGland and an extension into the woods. There is hardly any room around Gloomy Woods.[/quote]

Good point. Forgot about those woods! Tie that in with the rumors of Corkscrews demise and your onto a winner in the speculation stakes :lol:

:D :D
Last edited by Crofty on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes

Oh.

My.

God.

:D
Khanage

They looks pretty neat! Here is a video of legoland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4aGKCAa ... re=related

The european Legoland versions feature customisable ride patterns!
Last edited by Khanage on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ash

Definitely, this has 2010 written all of it!

And definitely good old JW.

I never even considered an extension to FV, but i dont think that is what we are looking at here.

The thing is although the idea looks great we need to make sure there not fake, also can they really get planning for all that near Ug Land?