New for 2008: Mutiny Bay

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
leejay

Although during Haloween with the added amount of guests expected, won't the park want a smany rides and wlakways open as possible? Merry England is a common route to Katanga and onwards. I can't imagine them closing this during Halloween :?
AstroDan

I doubt the area will be close during Halloween, if it even closes in open season at all. At a push, it could close during Adrenalin Week - but in all honesty I reckon it'll be fine to get it all done during the off season.

:)
Wes

I doubt we will see it closed this season. If anything, they'd probably prefer to open it a few weeks into the 2008 season.

They seem to like doing that at the moment.
Theme park monkey

But Maybe they will close Merrie England off soon, and during the halloween period, they divert people through the haunted hollow which will be home to actors and stuff around the holiday
Danzaw*nk

[quote=""Theme park monkey""]But Maybe they will close Merrie England off soon, and during the halloween period, they divert people through the haunted hollow which will be home to actors and stuff around the holiday[/quote]

Highly doubt that with the Flume being there which is a good queue cutter for other rides around the park... Even if it is October.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
bushboy2

Not sure if its the construction guys you are all talking about or not but heading to Magic HQ the other day for my lunch I saw a few quys in green hi vis jackets using laser measuring devices just outside the mexican cantina in merrie england. Signs of work in progress :D And hopefully signs that they will theme the area around the Flume aswell :)
Liam

I believe this photo shows the huge scale of this project...

:lol: :lol:
Johno

I don't think you get that that is in fact the central point where the 300ft drop tower into water is going.
AstroDan

They could leave the Flume open, and close the rest - as I said in an earlier post, I am not sure the Flume will be altered at all - mainly due to the unfortunate deal with Cussons and the fact that it was only re-themed a few years ago, it's getting old and the park are probably going to simply run it to the ground.

However I doubt any of it will close prior to November.
Steve in labour

The project is changing all the time it will change more before the work starts on the current plans the skyrides not there and thats wrong take a close look and u will see thers lots still to sort. Also the 3 games units in M/E are listed so they cant be removed for the big ship !?
Ant

[quote=""Big Gay Steve""]The project is changing all the time it will change more before the work starts on the current plans the skyrides not there and thats wrong take a close look and u will see thers lots still to sort. Also the 3 games units in M/E are listed so they cant be removed for the big ship !?[/quote]

Big Ship u say :P , Am I missing sumthink or you just give something away :?? .
Jon

Just to gague how long this is likely to take, can anyone remember whether or not Festival Park was sanctioned off during its retheme? Or was it done purely during the closed season?
Formerly "Dagoo"
Ash

I think rumored attraactions are a rockin tug and a splash battle....

So im guessing thats what he means by a big ship!
Wildchild

I cant wait till about november time when we have advertismernt in the park
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
haydn!

That's if we see any on park advertising? My guess is it would be minimal.
Wildchild

Yeh maybe so. Im goin tomorrow so goin see if i can spot anything
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
Dr Pop Rocket

I've got a weird feeling that we might see Pirates 4Dull in this new area, it would suit the whole "family" image and it is something you would class as a resort attraction, it also seems to be a popular attraction at Thorpe which would suggest it being popular at Alton also.

Although not sure whether a large 4D cinema would fit within the area of Merrie England, it would not be a bad addition if I'm honest, sure the film is very tacky and cheap, but Thorpe seem to have done very well in theming Pirates 4D, so I cannot see why Alton can't, if they could just improve on the actual effects and add a few more, as there are so many opportunities within Pirates 4D where effects have not been used at Thorpe.

Could be completely wrong, but it does seem like a good possibility, maybe they could switch the contract from Thorpe to Alton? Pirates 4D takes up a large amount of space which Thorpe have little of and it might be useful for them to utilize it by getting rid of Pirates 4D.

Hopefully more information on this project is released soon as I'm rather looking forward to this re-theme. :)
haydn!

Yeah. I've heard mixed reviews of Pirates 4D but visually, from an external point of view it looks impressive with some details scenery. If Alton could carry this off, on a much larger area wide scale then I'd say this new development could be good.

With regards to space, how big exactly is Pirates 4D? Would extending onto the carpark behind Merrie England allow for enough space for the building, including an indoor queueline?
Adam

Thing is. Pirates 4D theatre is very flexible in size-terms. The Thorpe version is very small when compared to the Sea World/Busch Gardens version.

So, AT could easily fit it if they removed the 3D cinema building, and extended the Arcade bulding onto that location.

Would fit just nicely, and they could even bring you out into the Arcade. Sounds like an Alton idea!

I personally would love to see Pirates 4D at Alton. Even though i've seen it sooooo many times, it's still good and also very fun with people who have never seen a 4D attraction before!

Bring it on! Arrrg!

Adäm x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
haydn!

It's probably a sure possibility, and I too think it would be a fairly good addition. Afterall everypark should have some sort of cinema type attraction.

I'd prefer it though, if they built a new building to house it in, and not just re-use the existing 3D tent, it would allow for a more detailed design and scenery.