Manually checking restraints and safety bars

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dara

One thing that has always stuck in my mind, after I've visited Europa Park is that unlike every other park in the world that I've visited, Europa staff NEVER come round and check that the bars are properly locked.

On rides like Alpine Express and the Collombus Dinghy ride in Spain, it suprised me especially considering we have equivelants to these rides in the UK (RMT and Seastorm) where the staff are trained to always come round and physically check that every single bar is locked.

Yet at Europa Park, which is run by the people who manufacture these rides, it's something that's never done.

So this has got me thinking, is it a legal requirement in all countries apart from Germany? Like I say, at all other parks I've visited the staff always check, adn untill I visited Europa I always thought it was a manufacturers rule of park's operating their rides- but obviously not
Ash

I think, it is covered by EU law, all staff are trained to a very high standard, although it may not seem it at times. Here in the UK especially operators. However there are many laws to keep you safe, perhaps there justless stringent
Craig

It is one thing that surprised me at Europa how they checked restraints. However, they are seriously hot on visual checks. On a number of occassions I saw them spotting people with loose restraints. It may seem like they're not checking but believe me they do.

Rides like the mine train only have two options, open or closed on the restraints anyway so I don't see a major issue with them not doing physical checks. I found it a little worrying that they don't close all restraints on rides such as Atlantica, since there are two seperate restraints on each row, meaning people could "theoretically :P* slide across to the side of the boat with the restraint still up.
iriderides101

My experience of checking restraints i allways thought they were to check the little saftery belts on coasters and flats
stokywolf

Its said that british and german H+S is the strictest in the world.

On the europe trip me liam lon and dom have just done we noticed that almost every single park we went to didnt check restraints at all. Walibi World was a perfect example on how shoddy there H+S was on El Condor with guests running round the station and the staff not bothering really. Most ither parks in Belgium, Holland and Germany were the same with just a simple sit down lock restraints and go procedure.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Nuebelstar

In Alpen Express the Ride OP can see, that all bars are closed(i think its normal). But you are right, at these two attractions there is no one who looks after that, but i think its not very important there.

At the other attractions the check the bars normally, i think its just these attractions.

Greeting
John

[quote=""Nuebelstar""]At the other attractions the check the bars normally[/quote]

Except the pirate ship (where they didn't close the restraints until after the ride had started), and atlantica super splash (where they were pushing down restraints as the boats left the station, or even not bothering at all).
Ash

[quote=""iriderides101""]My experience of checking restraints i allways thought they were to check the little saftery belts on coasters and flats[/quote]

In 99% of the cases, these are a psycholigical addition to show guests a connection between the harness and the seat. They servce no purpose at all and dont need to be there!
Nuebelstar

[quote=""duckman""]and atlantica super splash (where they were pushing down restraints as the boats left the station, or even not bothering at all).[/quote]
Okay,but this is only because the staff there is so unmotivated. They should check, but just dont care. I hate the staff there....

Greetings
AstroDan

I could post a very concerning image from Atlantica Super Splash...

:o
leejay

AstroDan - Please do!!
Kaycee

I guess that, strictly speaking, if all the bars are showing as locked on the control panel and that's a pretty failsafe system, then visual checks probably are sufficient. Obviously in places like Europa they only have the visual checks, but they would always be pushing down on bars if they thought they were raised too high - especially on Silver Star. Despite the seemingly relaxed attitude towards restraint checks, they always appeared very thorough in their visual checks.

I mean, if you think about it - on Nemesis and Oblivion, they only really tap the belt to make sure it's in. And if like Titler says, they serve no purpose except a psychological comfort to guests, then what's even the point of doing that if they're not checking the actual restraint?
leejay

Is it really a psycological comfort to guests? I feel no difference if the belt was there or not. IT must have a purpose?
Kaycee

Well I thought that as well, but some of the ex-staff members are positive that they serve no purpose other than to calm nervous guests. :)
leejay

I guess if the locking system failed, then the forces would rip the belt away anyway. Just a weird idea that the little black belt does nothing :lol:
jordi20012002

I always feel much safer if a member of staff physically check the restraint for me, otherwise I am slightly paranoid, as much as I love all major attractions, I would want to know I am 100% safe in them whether a control panel says I am safe or not...I think it should be a legal requirement
leejay

But staff checking restraints achieves nothing. If the restraint is down, its down and the computer will regester that.
Ash

Not really, its just for customer peace mind. Would they really let you have control wether you stay in your seat or not as you can just undo the seatbelt yourself?
AstroDan

Here we have an example of how NOT to ride on a 95' drop Super Splash attraction, particularly not at 12.30am in the morning!

Rita 2005

[quote=""leejay""]But staff checking restraints achieves nothing. If the restraint is down, its down and the computer will regester that.[/quote]Not all rides have computers, many of the older coasters can be dispatched with their restraints fully open.