Harry Potter Theme Park Announced!

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Johno

Liam

What's the betting odds on there being a Quiditch themed booster bike coaster?

Orlando do make their themes extremely realistic and so I'm really looking forward to seeing the castle if it can be built to the same scale as the films, would be awesome!
Johno

If there is a quidditch booster bike coaster at least it may allow Alton to get one for gloomy wood.

If its in Altons plans to build one they may want to do it now to get the world's first!
Liam

[quote=""Johno""]If there is a quidditch booster bike coaster at least it may allow Alton to get one for gloomy wood.

If its in Altons plans to build one they may want to do it now to get the world's first![/quote]
Oh my :P
1) What Universal does generally doesn't affect Alton Towers' decisions.
2) The Gloomy Wood plan was never seriously considered, more of a concept.
3) It wouldn't be the world's first. There is in fact already one in the UK!
4) This topic is about a new Florida park, not Alton Towers.
Johno

I know it doesn't. It would be a worlds first broomstick coaster. The one in the UK is with motorbikes me thinks?
Ash

I was just about to post this! It does look absoloutely incredible! Here is the press release as well as some pictures...
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. and Universal Orlando Resort are partnering to create the world’s first fully immersive Harry Potter themed environment based on the bestselling books by J.K. Rowling and blockbuster feature films from

Warner Bros. Envisioned as a “theme park within a theme park” and titled “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,” the new environment will become part of the experience within Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park at the Universal Orlando Resort.
“Over the years we’ve received thousands of letters from fans around the world wishing they could visit Hogwarts and the wonderful locations described in each of J.K. Rowling’s beloved stories,” said Barry Meyer, chairman and CEO, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “Working with Universal Orlando Resort, we are confident that we’ll be able to provide Harry Potter fans with an incredible experience that upholds the richness of J.K. Rowling’s books and delivers on the authentic detail portrayed in our films.”
“We will rely on our company’s rich movie heritage and expertise in transforming film concepts into theme park entertainment experiences,” said Ron Meyer, president and COO, Universal Studios. “The Harry Potter stories are among the most compelling of our time. The millions of people who have read the books and seen the movies will now be able to experience the world of Harry Potter in person.”
Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters – and faithful to the visual landscapes of the films – “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will provide a one-of-a-kind opportunity to experience the magical world of Harry and his friends. The fully immersive, themed land will enable guests to visit some of the most iconic locations found in the books and the films including the village of Hogsmeade, the mysterious Forbidden Forest, and even Hogwarts castle itself. "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed," said J.K. Rowling.
“We have a profound sense of responsibility for the Harry Potter franchise at Warner Bros. Bringing the magic of J.K. Rowling’s written word to the motion picture screen was the first step in expanding this amazing and imaginative world. Working with Universal Orlando Resort to bring it to life in a physical environment that you can walk through, relax in and ride on is the natural next step for fans to experience and enjoy,” said Alan Horn, president and COO, Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Expected to open in late 2009, the new environment will feature immersive rides and interactive attractions, as well as experiential shops and restaurants that will enable guests to sample fare from the wizarding world’s best known establishments. Also debuting will be a state-of-the-art attraction that will bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in an exciting way that guests have never before experienced.
“We are going to devote more time, more money, more expertise and more executive talent from throughout our entire organization and creative team – as well as from Warner Bros., our partners – to ensure that this entire environment is second-to-none,” said Tom Williams, chairman and CEO, Universal Parks and Resorts.
Brad Globe, president of Warner Bros. Worldwide Consumer Products, added: “In Universal, we found the right partner whose unparalleled commitment will ensure that this is a world class destination. Their track record of success and the consistently high level of entertainment at all of their parks gave us the confidence to know that they will meet—or exceed— the extremely high expectations we all have for this project.”
The Academy Award-winning production designer Stuart Craig, who has worked to bring the world of Harry Potter to life in all of the feature films to date, leads the creative design for the area to ensure it remains faithful to the look and feel of the films.
“Our primary goal is to make sure this experience is an authentic extension of Harry Potter’s world as it is portrayed in the books and films,” said Craig. “I am very excited to be working closely with the Universal Orlando team to bring the area to life.”
Pictures can be found at:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/islands ... enture.htm

Apparently JK Rowling was a pain to work with and wanted things extremely specific. One of the reasons people are glad Disney didnt get the franchise in a way. Also now Universal have the KUKA? Technology for 10 years now, this was another blow to Disney as they were after exclusive rights. However this is known to have teething problems, as well as having low throughputs. So again it was necessarilly good that Disney didnt get it.

I think this will be perfect for Universal but would of ruined a Disney park if it played such a large role. To be honest, im suprised a theme park wasnt set up for the franchise itself as there is enough there, but it doesnt share a lasting quality and would need more books to continue its appeal to its very thin market.
AstroDan

I hope all the concern about IOA ruining their park with this have been quashed.

I am sure this is going to be one of the most stunning and amazing themed re-creations ever.

*pencils in visit in 2009*
Martin1

I must say, the artist impressions of the park do make it look unbelivable, So who knows, Harry Potters never really floated my boat, but if youv read the books, seen the movies, now visit the park :P
Kelly

Omg Omg Omg!

That looks and soudns amazing! :)

If done properly i think this could be fabulous!

Oh gawd i definately have to visit. :P

The artist impressions looks amazing!

:D
Gashead

This looks fantastic. Couldnt have been a better place for it to happen, going to be amazing.Not the biggest Harry Potter fan but i like watching the films and the magic around them.

I was attempting to plan a trip to Florida next year but now I think I'll hold on and go in 2009, exactly 10 years since i last went :shock: However that time IOA opened a week after I left so i wont be making that mistake again :lol:
Kelly

It now has its own site, where you can sign up for email updates:

http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/

Danzaw*nk

So it's not a new theme park is it, they're just building a new bit in IOA?

Im confused!? Don't tell me IOA is changing into Harry Potter Land :shock:

Didn't think Universal have the space for a whole new theme park?

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
AstroDan

I am pretty sure this will be within IOA - it's just the media getting mixed up, like the way they call 'Dic kens World' a theme park, when it clearly is not.

The drawings from the official website do look stunning!
Danzaw*nk

Good! Couldn't bare to see IOA changed into a Harry Potter theme park - IOA is the greatest park in the world (or that i've been to) :)

And yay! 2009, is in perfect time for when I go :P

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
AstroDan

[quote=""Danzaw*nk""]Good! Couldn't bare to see IOA changed into a Harry Potter theme park - IOA is the greatest park in the world (or that i've been to) :)

And yay! 2009, is in perfect time for when I go :P

Dan
[/quote]

'Late' 2009 - I should think it will be heading towards Christmas time. And that's if there aren't any delays.
Kelly

Its being built in IOA as a new themed island, being built on part of Lost Continent and also undeveloped land currently not in use.

JUst reading about this has gotten me seriously excited!

Apparently JK Rowling has been involved since the beggining which is great. Also the castle will hold some popular locations within Hogwarts and the castle grounds. :)

Suspected opening is late 2009-early 2010.

FAQ on the IOA Harry Potter site, releases quite a bit of general info.
AstroDan

[quote=""Kelly""]Its being built in IOA as a new themed island, being built on part of Lost Continent and also undeveloped land currently not in use.

Apparently JK Rowling has been involved since the beggining which is great. Also the castle will hold some popular locations within Hogwarts and the castle grounds. :)

Suspected opening is late 2009-early 2010.

FAQ on the IOA Harry Potter site, releases quite a bit of general info.[/quote]

I think it is rather a shame that somewhere in Europe couldn't have had this, but never mind. They'll probably make a better job of it in Florida.

America always gets the biggest deals.
Danzaw*nk

[quote=""Kelly""]Its being built in IOA as a new themed island, being built on part of Lost Continent and also undeveloped land currently not in use.

Apparently JK Rowling has been involved since the beggining which is great. Also the castle will hold some popular locations within Hogwarts and the castle grounds. :)[/quote]

As long as they don't spoil the theme of Duelling Dragons as that is amazing.

I just hope they do well cos im not the hugest fan of Harry Potter but im sure Universal will do well as always :).

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Kelly

Here's what we learned from Potter set designer Stuart Craig and a representative from Universal Studios (both of them hosted the big reveal):

- "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort"
- Announcement was made live via internet at 12:01 AM EST today to select media, including MuggleNet.
- Areas of park to include Hogsmeade, Hogwarts Castle, and the Forbidden Forest.
- 20 engineers working on project.
- Universal came to WB looking for authenticity.
- Potter park to be built in "Islands of Adventure" area of Universal.
- Stuart wants to "take his grandchildren" to the park.
- Opening early 2010.
- Universal's Potter website to be available at this link.
- JK Rowling has been involved "since the very beginning" of the project. Also "supportive and encouraging."
- Stuart thinks that the park will be better off in the United States.
- Have been in design "for at least a year and a half."
- "Important that the theme park represents the entire saga from Book 1 to Book 7"
Just a bit of general info from www.Mugglenet.com
Danzaw*nk

I really hope this doesn't result in Duelling Dragons and the other attractions in that area being closed throughout the summer as that would be a major disappointment.

Although, being the Summer I doubt IOA would close it then.

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3