You thought the Ropers were bad?

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
halltd

Check out this news story from California.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_091030937.html

The locals have banned people from screaming on a little thrill ride at a family fun center. The ride holds a total of four people maximum and a highway separates the ride from the houses.
"Rita: Queen of Speed. Your best Alton Towers\' ride evAr!"
AstroDan

That is diabolical.

I am sure the Roper family would indeed have similar rules implemented if they could. I just hope the court case over this 'Sacramemto Screamer' is thrown out.

It's utterley ridiculous.
Vik

I first read that on April 1st, I assumed it was an April fool, but the posting dates was 31 March.

Only in America??

How long before we have similar bans here.

Drayton Manor have been asking guests not to scream for a few years now havent they?, though its just a polite request, and not a ban.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Craig

Yes, I first related it back to Drayton's imfamous signs. But, this ban in America seems to be enforced quite harshly. I can't imagine anyone not screaming/shouting on a ride like that.

Just out of interest as well, is that a booster made by Fabbri? Just thought it was a bit strage it has a harness rather than an OTSR?
altontowerskid

This is quite stupid i agree, total banning of screaming on a ride is impossible. But looking at it from the publics side, i can see how having that towering over your garden could not be nice and the noise could de disturbing.

There is one very simple method, get the park to move the ride, its a fairground ride so would not be hard to move,, and just plonk it somewhere else in their park. Solves many problems.
draytonmanorplus

Drayton Manor ask you not to scream excessivly. You know the annoying screams in which people make just for the sake of screaming. They are not going to through you out of the park, so yes its just a polite request. Also Alton Towers applied this policy on Oblivion didnt they ?

Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""draytonmanorplus""]Also Alton Towers applied this policy on Oblivion didnt they ?[/quote]

Not that I remember, either way, it no longer has such a restriction if it did have one, which I'm not too sure about...
Vik

Also Alton Towers applied this policy on Oblivion didnt they ?

If anything, probably quite the opposite. When the court case with the Ropers came to light, I remember Alton Towers advertising on the billboards "Scream, your at Alton Towers" :lol: Was this late 2004?, cant remember now :?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Mankey

FFS!!! its only few screams... 4 accumilated screams all at once... its not like theyve got a bomb going off!!! :evil:

Absoutely disgusting!

That guy who says "they can see into my back yard" wtf are they going to see going at 60 mph to start with and secondly when theyre stopped at the top to unload and reload the passengers theyre gonna be sh*tting it too much tbh. so much that theyre not gonna want to check out some guys back yard.

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
fanm

America isn't free of its NIMBYS. Disney's Califonia's Adventure has a problem with this. It's constructed nearby to a residential area, so california screamin' (launched roller coaster) has 'scream tunnels' to muffle the screams. A drop tower ride has similar 'scream guards' that drop over your face, and are just clear perspex windows that trap the noise.

Ironic how these residential areas wouldn't exist without Disneyland, and now they complain about it.

Though the above article makes every other NIMBY sound reasonable
Argh! REVISION
halltd

The "tunnels" on California Screamin' aren't to muffle screams. They were built to shield the "ugly" areas outside the park from guests. Disney is all about views, and you should never be able to see outside the boundaries of the park. In California, this isn't as easy, but that's the whole reason Walt Disney World was even thought up. Seeing big billboards and stuff destroys the illusion of where you are.
"Rita: Queen of Speed. Your best Alton Towers\' ride evAr!"