Forget the postcards, why not send me a DVD instead?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
John

So, basically you could end up buying a dvd with 5 minutes of x-sector footage even if you didn't go there. I can imagine a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Im not surprised though, trying to get 30 minutes of footage for everyone who wanted a dvd would be impossible.
madmanwill

and if you read through that site it doesnt compensate for bad weather

e.g sunny footage on a raining day
What if a customer attends the park on a rainy or overcast day and the stock video was shot on a sunny day? Won’t there be visual continuity problems?

Outdoor cameras installed on the rides will be positioned slightly higher than their targets and pointed slightly downward in such a way that the sky is seldom part of the shot. So it will not matter if the stock video was shot with a blue sky and the customer visits the park on a grey day. Moreover, the personalized clips are brief in duration and will pass by with viewers more interested in who is on the video and the fun they are having, rather than being concerned about slight lighting discrepancies. But most importantly, because of the high-quality digital cameras, slight discrepancies in exterior lighting will not even be a factor most of the time.

What if a customer attends the park at night? Will the stock video match?

Selected rides will be designated “night-time only” by the YourDay system. For example, if a customer goes on a YourDay-equipped “night-time only” ride during the day, no personalized video will be captured. However, if the customer goes on the same ride at night, personalized video will be captured and later integrated with the existing night-time stock video contained on the customer’s finished DVD.
ashayling

Sorry about the downtime of the images for a while. They should be working again now and I will soon upload them to my main more reliable host.
Crofty

The personalized clips are brief in duration and will pass by with viewers more interested in who is on the video and the fun they are having, rather than being concerned about slight lighting discrepancies.
Quantity NOT Quality then?? Get the cash in the tills :P

This is a bigger scale version of the Shiekra DVD at Busch gardens, which also has stock footage.
I think I would be more willing to pay for a DVD of a particular Ride and have some clips of the ride, some of me on the ride and a full POV vid of the ride.
They could sell more then if they had one for all the big coasters and it would be a lot easier to create.

:W :W
ashayling

Looks like this will be used for security as well:
BBC News Article
Stefan

Yeah there was a feature on about it today on BBC Radio Stoke it must of gone on for about 10 minutes or more on how it will work and the benefits etc. 8) 8)