Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Williscroft

This ride looks very cool and i will be wanting to visit Oak Wood next year now. I hope the colours arnt the same though as it would spoile it i think and make it look tacky.

Could of done with being a bit longer i feel but should still be amazing, can see some great air time on that first hill after the past vertical drop :)
srw985

[quote=""Google""]
Oakwood
Park Guide for Oakwood in Wales. . Search Site, World Map, CF-INFO, Site Info,
No Limits, Videos, Links. Style Dark | Light. Park Guides. Adventure Land .
www.coasterforce.com/parkguides/oakwood/oakwood.shtml - 64k - Cached- Similar pages
[/quote]

In the description there is the words NO LIMITS but Coaster Force's URL is out of date or something and CF dont update that regularly so it probably wont be there

Ive asked on WeeWeeSlap (which is actually a ride exhange if u didnt no) so watch this space
Chester City Football Club
buggy

[quote=""JerMain.e""]Meh, I see a Eurofighter as a super cheap, super tacky coaster. Nowt special at all... as exciting as your average Pinfari...

Yay.[/quote]

No, they look much more exciting than any pinfari.
Anonymous

This coaster looks good but they are going to have to get some speed up on the drop to get over the bunny hop and then round the corner to the loop it must be going at quiet a speed to pass thorught all that track safely.the design looks more nicer than the other eurofighter coaster it looks layed out better and dont have the metal supports everywere so it loks like a jig saw, i realy like the train design its good when theres only 2 rows of four if you go with all your friends you can all sit in one row and on not many uk coasters you can do that it looks like its going to be an exciteing project and i hope people post pics on here of how the construction is going.Nice one oakwood its about time you got another major ride it.the only point i dot see id why does there have to be breaks before the barrel roll thing why now just let it keep going i like it when a roller coaster is rough!
Anonymous

Hi everyone!

Land clearing is complete, and the footings have started to be layed, i took some photos the other day, which are viewable at http://www.97degrees.co.uk !
scottjenkins

Ummm,
Being a Oakwood fan i am undecided on my views on this matter.
Oakwood have one of the best woodies in the world and definately the best water ride in the UK. I have an awful lot of respect for Hydro, and stand by my comment on "seatbelts dont open themselves.", That was a bit of bad luck which cannot be helped. However with the new OTSR's in 2005 Hydro still suffered badly. I went in summer and we were the only ones on the boat and the park was packed. Hopefully this year will be more sucsessful for Hydro.

Im drifting off the point now sorry, lol
I agree with an earlier post with the look of the coaster. It looks like a boring old Pinfari, and come on guys they are about as interesting as a bad batch of Syphallis. Oakwood realla "isnt" on the map is it, be honest and seriously think if they held on another season and made more money a B & M, Vekoma or Maurer Sohne would have been better.
Judging on the location of the ride, seems a bit bizarre. Its really on the outskirts of the park, get rid of Vertigo and slap it up there! Give it some Attention.

The way that the Theme Park industry is moving is too fast for Oakwood to keep up, Just look at Oblivion, Rita, Air, Stealth, Collosus etc, Technology is getting far more advanced for a bog standard Gerstlauer, it looks like a travelling coaster and gives no room for theming which is a large part in making the ride a memorable experience.

To close i think this ride isnt the best idea thay have had and may see to regret it as it certainly wont put them "up there" with AT, TP and BPB. However this ride will be a one trick pony and definately wont take the limelight from Megofobia and Hydro.

(I'll get off my Soapbox now lol)
TenZero

Some news regarding the Hydro incident:

THE family of a 16-year-old girl who was killed when she plunged 100ft from a white knuckle ride yesterday spoke of their anger and disillusionment on discovering there could be no criminal prosecutions.

Hayley Liane Williams, of Pontypool, a talented musician and singer, died in an incident at Oakwood theme park near Tenby after falling from the Hydro Ride.

Swansea schoolboy Martin Rothwell, aged 10 at the time, was hit on the head and injured by the teenager, who was in Year 11 at Pontypool's St Albans RC School, as she fell against him.

The tragedy was witnessed by dozens of horrified visitors.

The Crown Prosecution Service launched a probe into the incident - but on Thursday, after a 21-month investigation, it was announced there would be no criminal prosecutions.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

A statement, released by solicitors on behalf of Hayley's grief-stricken parents Alan and Beverley, said it was the first time the family "have broken their silence and unbearable grief over the tragic death of their beloved daughter Hayley.

"Until now they have trusted in the justice system to deal fairly with this tragedy on their behalf."

The statement said the CPS decision "exposes the inadequacy in the law".

It added, "The family are completely disillusioned with the criminal justice system and naturally angry with this decision.

"Our beautiful and talented Hayley, along with her sister Hannah and friends, were looking forward to a day of fun when they entered Oakwood Park on April 15, 2004, tragically our daughter Hayley never returned."

But the Health and Safety Executive in Wales is still investigating, and last night a spokesman said the incident could still result in a criminal prosecution.

He said, "The HSE investigation is continuing. As a result of this the HSE will look at the next steps they will take. This could result in no further action or enforcement action. Enforcement action could include criminal prosecution under Health and Safety legislation."

The HSE is unlikely to make any decision before the full inquest, to be held by Pembrokeshire Coroner Michael Howells, on a date to be set.

The family is now placing hope in the forthcoming inquest - but acknowledges that nothing will bring back their beloved daughter.

"Finally, the family wish to place on record their thanks to all family, friends, col-leagues and the general public for the outstanding support and understanding they have received since their un-bearable loss," the statement concluded.

The ride was examined after Hayley's death and later released back to Oakwood Leisure Ltd and reopened.

The Health and Safety Executive had previously issued a Prohibition Notice, requiring changes to the ride's passenger containment system prior to it being operated with passengers again.

A year ago, Paddy McNamara, managing director of Oakwood Theme Park, said, "Following recommendations by the Health and Safety Executive as a result of their investigation, we are replacing the interior of the Hydro boat and installing over the shoulder restraints with an interlock mechanism.

"As with all rides at Oakwood, Hydro ride operation and design is signed off as safe by independent certifying engineers before it is opened to the public.

"We do, however, acknowledge the need to provide additional reassurance to future riders and are quite sure the new system will do this."

The ride has been billed by the theme park as "Europe's fastest and wettest water-coaster".

The Rev Bev Morgan, from the family's local chapel, Merchants' Hill, said on Thursday he was "very surprised" by the CPS' decision.

A spokeswoman for Oakwood Theme Park said, "We have always had the very highest quality standards and procedures at Oakwood and fully co-operated with the investigation.

"We therefore feel that the decision by the Crown Prosecution Service not to prosecute is the right decision.

"Our thoughts, as always, are with the family at this difficult time."
TenZero

A few days ago, the new rides name was released. The ride is called:
Speed.

Paddy MacNamara, the park's managing director, said, "We have called our new roller coaster Speed because we feel it best captures the essence of the ride."
He added, "Also, the open design of the cars means you are quite exposed to the elements so when you speed through all the fantastic twists, turns and loops you really will feel the wind rushing through your hair."

Onto a more serious note, the park have their own mathmatical equation to the secret to a fun and thrilling ride: where R is rolls, L is loops, M is moments to catch breath. FF is fear factor, S is speed, V is vertical drop and A is anticipation, so fun equals: R + L/M + (FF x S x V x A).

Thats all for now,
Another update later guys!
Anonymous

This looks some impresive ride, i just hope it picks up enough speed over the camel back to go throught the loop, hope they done have as much trouble as they did with G-Force when it stalled, I realy like the layout but they could have cramed a few moer inversions in there :D
aledaerials

I go to oakwood every july and august for my kids birthdays, i live about an hour away. Really glad they are making it bigger, can't wait to go on the new ride. :D
Mines a jack and coke thanks...cheers!
BlackHole2006

Speed, what a very unimaginative name. They could have called it something else because I just thought it was the code name. The name lets it down a bit but the ride will be good :)
This is my dignature. For now.........
davidredge

I'm afraid its another "when does it open" thread. any signs of when Speed will open.
Anonymous

I had an email from Oakwood confirming it would open on the first day of their season (13th April). I will be amazed if it happens though.

At least it will be nice to ride a proper vertical coaster!
Crofty

Some new pics on Ritchies Oakwood site :

http://97degrees.co.uk/photos/v/03032006/

They seem to be cracking on with is now, but I still don't think they can make it in a month.
Can't wait to get a go on it though, looks like it has a really good airtime hill.

:D :D
CGM

Well you saw how fast Cobra at Paulton's went up, Gerstler seem to be good at making quick assembly rides
Sims-2-MAD!

Wow Quite intresting Is this replacing nething like that big water ride what killed some1 (her fault). Or is it a new atraction in a bit.
ild like to se it open at the start of the season even thogh i live in england looks fun
[/b]Catch me if you can :D [/quote]
TenZero

[quote=""Sims-2-MAD!""]Wow Quite intresting Is this replacing nething like that big water ride what killed some1 (her fault). Or is it a new atraction in a bit.
ild like to se it open at the start of the season even thogh i live in england looks fun[/quote]

Nope, Speed will be near the old go karts. 'teh big water ride' you talk about is Hydro, and is still in operation.
themeparkfreak

when does speed at Oakwood open? I want to arrange a trip to ride it.

Thanks, Tom
Martin1

Wouldnt have thought for a while. Its not finished just yet, could be may :? But i am most likely wrong.
TenZero

Speed will open on April 13th (Good Friday/Park Opening Day). Landscaping is being done at the moment and the ride is sure to open on that day.