Alton Towers Resort Quick Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Andyc Nemesis

Hello all

I have a very quick question and i hope someone can help on this. On Nemesis, how does it gain so much speed at the start without a major drop?

Also, there is a difference between the two ride crafts? Does anyone know why? Craft 2 seems to kick early then craft one.

Thanks in advance everyone for your help in this.
John

The first drop on nemesis is quite deceptive, it looks smaller than it is. Obviously the top of the first corkscrew has to be a fair bit lower than the top of the lift hill, so that gives an idea of how high the drop actually is. Most of the first drop is on the corner after the lift hill so it feels smaller than it is.

Are you sure about the difference between the 2 craft? They should be pretty much the same (I could be wrong here though!). However if you were sitting further back on craft 2 that would explain it, moving just a couple of rows back makes a surprisingly large difference to the ride experience.
Andyc Nemesis

No, i always sit at the back. I am sure one kicks later than the other. When you go on check which one and see if there is. Yeah, that first drop looks very small, i will have a look at that when i am next there.

Thanks.
ASR

Nemesis has a total height difference of 131 feet, from highest point to lowest point, and a top speed of 50.8 mph.

Ofcourse, a STRAIGHT drop of 131 feet would more than likely produce a speed of around 60 mph, but since Nemesis passes through several element's that sap away it's momentum along the way (corkscrew, zero g, stall turn, vertical loop) it reaches a top speed of 50.8 mph.

The train's wont give a different ride experience unless they are either built differently (which they arnt) or if one of them is running with technical fault's (which the park would'nt do). Ofcourse, the weight of the people can add up to a suprisingly large amount, THAT can affect the acceleration and speed of the train, though not by much.
SW-Dave

Poissibly there were loads of fat people on the train?
liam14

There would have to be LOADS more people on the train to notice a difference in speed. From one train to the next the difference is minute and you could-not notice it by the ammount of passengers will not change the speed noticably . The trains do not pick up any quicker from eachother. Unless they were manufactured differently which they wernt so it must just be you! :lol:
Nemesis: 4
Air : 4
Oblivion :3
Corkscrew: 8
Rita :4
Runaway mine train :15

Trips to A.T :14
Andyc Nemesis

That probaly means I have lost the plot then. Thanks. Lol. Cheers for answering that for me people.
nemesis_mad_becky
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, United Kingdom, Planet Earth...

I always sit at the back and its faster, I've sat in the middle and front few times before but the speed seems to be the same. I prefer to sit at back row cos its an intense and faster experience - if I feel like to have a front view, I'd sit in the front row but I couldn't anymore cos I had to sit at the back since I have special access wristband. :roll:

But in my opinion, the speed just feel the same everytime I'm on Nemesis, and I didn't see any changes on the lifthill or the first drop though if anyone think its a bit faster, so its probably cos more people or less, I dunno :?
I don\'t use this anymore, I have a new username its cheeky_becky

myspace
genesis

For future reference there is a quick question topic already active. :wink:

http://towerstimesforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6039
liam14

If you sit at the back the ride does not goe faster, it is only a difference in the ammount of the G's and where you get them. The overall ride is not faster though, front / or back.
Nemesis: 4
Air : 4
Oblivion :3
Corkscrew: 8
Rita :4
Runaway mine train :15

Trips to A.T :14
nemesis_mad_becky

Yeah but it feels like its faster at the back though. Imagine when you use a whip, its like that, if you know what I mean?

myspace
$t£v£

We had a girl on here who used to do things like what youve just done shes banned now.

Yoo Hoo Mods!
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.
nemesis_mad_becky

Is that all?!?! :|

myspace
Adz
Admin
Admin

entwistlesjd

There is a report post button ya know. no need to post about it, we can react far quicker if you use the report function.

---

Leeds United

I see you are new to the forum, can you please check the guidelines which are posted at the top of every forum.

--

nemesis_mad_becky, i assume he was refering to a certain pink_fairy. She did much more than that. The ban was fully justified.
Anonymous

Nemesis is so the best at the front im afraid to say, the back has its perks like less queue and different sort of G but The front is where u see it all, all the underground bits woshing past! the wind in your face and on your body, but the queue is always ages so its a toss up between queue for ages or ride the back
Ash

Nemesis speed most defintely changes with the amount of people on the ride, the time of day you ride and also the weather at the time.

A full train filled with adrenaline loving people will most definitely travel faster. If you ride early morning you can often find the ride travels faster due to components not expanding with the heat. Also there may be dew on the rails creating a lubricant.

The weather such as rain most definitely causes the ride to travel faster. Very cold weather will decrease the effectiveness of grease.
Williscroft

On the 30th of October last year at the fireworks event i had just sat down on Nemesis (bone dry) then all of a suden as we left the station the heavens opened up. Got extremely heavy before we even got to the top of the lift hill. It was so painfull as it was rain like you have never seen it before. Also it felt like we shot round like lightening lol. You could realy feel a change in the ride experience and i came off like i had just been thrown into a lake, all in a matter of seconds lol. :shock:

The first drop on Nemesis is well hidden so from a distance it only looks like a little drop were as infact its quite a large and long section of track this meaning why you pick enough speed up for the first inversion. :D
Anonymous

on the second day of the ttf fireworks meet-up I went on with ray, sammie and kaycee on the front row in torrential rain and it hurt so much - i couldnt even keep my eyes open, and with the added speed it was so disorientating, it did kind of ruin it for me, although Kaycee said it was one of the best rides shed ever had.
Williscroft

If it was weather like when i went on it i would have to agree with Kaycee. Although it was painfull on my face and i couldnt see it was also one of my best rides on Nemesis. It adds that extra excitment to the ride as i kept trying to open my eye (but they stang with all my gell in them) and it was just like a mad 30 seconds.