Alton Towers' Worst Decision

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Ketchup

Plonking Spinball right next to the lake wrecking the view of the Tower's, quality idea Alton they could of at least put some trees around it.
Soph

I wasnt a big fan off them, but they looked perfect when you came into the park, but now they've put cheap plastic splash boats there, they just look out of place!!
Beaver Dude

Plonking Spinball right next to the lake wrecking the view of the Tower's, quality idea Alton they could of at least put some trees around it.
A lot of people say this but you can't actually see it from TS and you can easily look at the towers without SW blocking the view. The worst desision was Fastrack, Hotel passes and all the other queue jumping systems.
Anonymous

I reckon Priority queueing is a marvellous idea. One of their best.

And I don't really mind Spinball being in view of the iconic view of the Towers from TS. The image hs sunken in and now, to me, is very much a part Alton Towers' iconic images. It is a marvellous coaster to look at, with the cars bouncing around the track merrily. Quite nice IMO :).

Swan Boats :evil:.

:firebounce:
Beaver Dude

You've obviously never noticed that is Priority queue didn't run then Air's capacity would go up by a third and Oblivions would almost double.
Mikeb100

Priority queing is daft, together with the idea of the single riders line. The fact that people abuse the single riders line by joining it in a big group and going on 1 or 2 at a time means that its a waste. Plus my m8 estimate that the single riders line was 3 hours n we waited 45 mins in the normal one

madmanwill

[quote=""Mikeb100""]Priority queing is daft, together with the idea of the single riders line. The fact that people abuse the single riders line by joining it in a big group and going on 1 or 2 at a time means that its a waste. Plus my m8 estimate that the single riders line was 3 hours n we waited 45 mins in the normal one[/quote]

single rider is no problem as the people simply fill up the trains
look at RITA their are people who come in groups of 3 rather than sending the train out with a seat empty they fill it up.

your MATE may be estimating correctly as the sign at the enterance says that that the que is for people on their own or IN GROUPS WILLING TO SPLIT UP (no abuse of the system there) and also that this que may be longer than the normal que.

The worst desision was Fastrack, Hotel passes and all the other queue jumping systems.
hotel passes are really that bad. when i went to the hotel i was given one of these passes.when a person is spending £200-£300 on a normal room surely they deserve special perks over the average park guest and you also only get to cut the que on

oblivion
corkscrew
RMT
DUEL

the only ride that i used my pass on was oblivion the others simply dont draw the ques on a normal day.

and the other hotel pass isnt that bad really (for the suites--i think its a priorty pass for every ride)
surely if you are spending £500-£1000 you deserve this

on the other passes if people are paying for these passes its bringing more money to the park and eventually securing that new ride/addition/clean up of the park.

will

x
Lauzi

1. The swans! When people thought about Alton Towersm they always thought of the swans. However, the speed boat thingys would be better if you didn't have to pay for them! :evil:
2. Toyland Tours. It was my favourite ride when I was little and we used to go on it every time! It will always hold a aspecial place in my heart.
3. Building Hex. Lets just say I have bad memories of that ride
CGM

In the last few years Alton have just spoilt the atmosphere in front of the towers completely by removing the Swan Boats and replacing them with the noisy Splash Karts Challange They have also built Spinball Whizzer on the other side of the lake Both of these rides completely ruin the view of the Towers.

Whats more the Park tries to get you to buy everything that they can fit on a stall As if it weren't enough paying for entrance

But I think that the all time worst desision that the Towers made was getting rid of Black Hole as it was a classic Ride
Ketchup

[quote=""SparkleAndShine""]3. Building Hex. Lets just say I have bad memories of that ride[/quote]

Your Kidding?

Hex is Alton's only Disney class ride, it's awesome and has an amazing story and a setting what Disney would die for!
Ant

My List of Alton worst decisions

Spinball Whizzer
Takeing away Swans
Removing Towers Street music
Toyland Tours going :(
Queue line TVs
Duel
And Black hole closing :( .
Splash Kart Challenge
Anonymous

MMM intresting, well i thnk that the spinball whizzer was a great decition.
haydn!

Spinball Whizzer is probably Alton Towers biggest mistakes, don't get me wrong, the ride they chose is fantastic, and does exactly what they wanted - keeps the families/young teenagers well happy. But its location is just well - pants.

Take a look at the rest of the park, the rides are all well themed and hidden in thier own little areas, pre spinball you could see practically nothing in terms of rides from the main entrance, adding to the exciting....as youd enter the park and part of the fun was heading off and not knowing what to expect...but now, that feeling is ruined. As one of the parks tallest rides *above ground level* is smack bang in front of the entrance - pure madness!! It would have been much suited with a different layout somewhere like Katanga Canyon, or even on the now vacant Black Hole site......but this would have required clever forward thinking...something they lacked for a while.
Anonymous

Although that it is a great ride for bringing more people into the park its not a terribly great ride, a bit short.
haydn!

No shorter than Rita, Nemesis or Air, or even Oblivion (dont take much beating though). Its just with it being more compact....it doest look as long. Infact its probably longer than most of the above.
Anonymous

SPINBALL WHIZZER IS GREAT its great when you walk in you can see a rollercoaster. This being a mild coaster it builds you up for the more intense coasters. There is no wer else you could really put SW because it wouldnt suit anywer else at the towers. Could you imagine it being in FORBIDDEN VALLEY or X-SECTOR and wer wud you fit a ride of SW size in KATANGA CANYON so quit moanin about SW. Cos its a great location and it shud stay wer it is ADVENTURE LAND.
Tom M

AT's worst decision was the HH retheme, Now its just really tacky and a lot of things dont even work, Like my blaster that was split in half and taped back together! :?
Stevie_Cee

Rita: I would of called her "Gertrude!"

Swan Boats: I went on them loads of times, from being a tiny tot and was sad when they ditched them!
They looked to good in regards to theme next to Merrie England! Now it just looks silly! :(
Anonymous

I loved Black Hole :( But anyway Rita, what kind of a name is that its a old women's name but i never had chance to go on the Old Haunted house and i've only ever known Duel to be there so.
Stevie_Cee

I went on Duel yesterday and got an amazing score of NOTHING! I have the pic to prove it, no use of the gun by me at all! Its amazing how many more things you notice going on without that clumsy gun in the way! :P