PortAventura World

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
coaster_chris

Universal's Port Aventura will get a new ride for next season named Hurakan Condor! It will be a Intamin Freefall ride like Apocalypse in drayton Manor. It will be themed with a 23 meter high Maya temple as base. This is where the ride will start indoor, including special effects!

Specs.
Tower hight: 100 m
Frefall hight: 86 m
Speed: 115 km/h / 71.4576871 mph
G-force: 3G
Cars: 5
Car Types: Sitdown, Standup, Standup-floorless

Artwork:

The buildingsite:

Chris
Sazzle

Top stuff!

Shame they're also have the floorless side - it's nice to have something unique in the UK.

Loving the theme though - is the temple at the wonky? I can't see how it can support the weight though :?
kurtis

cool, im going there on holiday so i can ride it :D
coaster_chris

update:

Chris
Adam

kewl looks great, chris where abouts is it located, like i mean what ride used to be where that is? is it where those stupid horse things are/were? :?
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Anonymous

Wow :D About time Port Aventura got another ride worth talking about! They'll do it well...the theming and the indoor temple bit! What are the stats compared to Apocalypse?

:twisted: :P
coaster_chris

It's going damn fast over there!!!! :shock: The tower is near ready.... only the top bit is missing, for the cables and gears:

[quote="".:Adam:.""]kewl looks great, chris where abouts is it located, like i mean what ride used to be where that is? is it where those stupid horse things are/were? :?[/quote]

It's located in the Mexico theme area opposit to the theater... close to Templo del Fuego. It will be beside the "rainbow" ride (that thing that spins around and gives you that airtime feeling... forgot it's name :-? :mrgreen: )

Chris
coaster_chris

...and the top of the ride has been attached:

Chris
coaster_chris

Some pictures taken by PA for the www.pa-community.com website.....

There's the "rainbow" ride I ment....

Transport with Templo del Fuego on the background...

Chris
oriolat

Hey guys!
Did you know PortAventura is about to open the highest freefall in Europe and the third in the world?
It tops at 330 feet and will feature different gondolas:
- Two standard sit down.
- Two stand-up floorless tilting
- One sit down tilting (New type!)
It's name is Hurakan Condor and it's supposed to be themed around the legend of a mayan god called Hurakan that every time he got angry and wanted sacrifices had to be calmed down. Do you know how?
A priest should invoke him and when he was about to come (Hurakan) 20 people had to be thrown from the top of the royal tower to keep the anger of the god down.

The themeing is a reproduction of the ruins of Palenque (in Mexico) and will feature a temple containg the freefall and a themed queue zone.

The entrance with this tissue with the logo of the ride scheduling it's opening to the public on 20th May.

A view of the inside of the tower. You see? The walls have been covered with a massive extension of plants, details from mayan sculptures and mirrors.

The closest view of the gondolas since this construction post! WOW! Here we can see the standar sit-down and the sit down tilting!

Today has been the first day that the general public has been able to walk freely without the construction fences.

Another view of the inside the temple. Each gondola has it's perimetre and if you see.... on the walls there are torches which fit perfectly to the theme.

A general view of the whole ride.

Hey! I just can't wait to ride it! It'ss sooooo huge and it's been so long since we had our last ride installed on the park...!

The ride is scheduled to open in 20th May for the General Public but today the staff of the park will be able to try it.
On Tuesday 17th and Wednesday 18th the Season Pass Holders will be able to try it and then on Thursday 19th the official opening will take part with a VIP guest which still now is unknown.
MostMagicalCat

oh wow looks like salou is on the agenda
where is it is that in mexico where the armidilos used to be?
was fugo the last ride put into p/v
[
oriolat

Yeah!
You're right in all the information.
The ride is situated where the kid's flat ride "Armadillos" used to be. That ride was put next to "Los Poltrillos", very close to "Hurakan Condor".
And 'yes'. The "Templo del Fuego" was the last addition to the park in 2001 so it's quite a long since we hadn't seen any new stuff.

I'd be cool if you could see this ride on your own. It's so magical... so huge... so thrilling... I can't wait :roll:
MostMagicalCat

Templo del Fuego, wait was it not sea odissy
im sure i was there in2002 and i cant remember sea odissy
universal hasn`t put in much money as they should to p/v
when you think of the millions spent in florida it kind of makes you sick that our little unversal project gets ignored
wheres all this new technology that they used to build the mummy would like to see a new coaster at p/v
do you know if there planning one
[
oriolat

I'm sure about it.
Sea Odissey was put in 2000 to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the park.
Then in 2001 they put Templo del Fuego.
In 2002 they added the Costa Caribe Aquatic Park and 2 hotels.

From this point Universal has done very very few.
All the technology we expected to be in our park was gone away when last year Universal sold its shares to "la Caixa", a bank that has been with the park to the park and now has 100% of the shares.

I think it was better to let Universal go because they wanted a lot of money and visitors and this park is more about getting a good ambiance and treatment to the public.

Thanks to "la Caixa" we're able to see now Hurakan Condor (to celebrate de 10th anniversary of the park).
And yes, a very very very HUGE coaster might open in 2007. It is said to be indoor and in the style of Revenge of the Mummy but improved and with lots of FX, and of cours without the aid of Universal. 8)
MostMagicalCat

ohhhhhhhhhhh
so is la caixa going to update the park
have they lost all the charactors and merchandise
not that they were ever used top there full potential
i last went in october and it was still bragging to be a universal park
although halloween was great with freddy k and jason not to mention the exorcist
[
oriolat

I have NO WORDS to describe this...
Today it has been the first day that the staff of PortAventura has been able to ride Hurakan COndor and the reviews say that it's really really intense and very very frightening... do you want more?
Then look at the FIRST ever photoride on Hurakan Condor. Just look down and realise how tall is this monster!

Just can't wait to sunday 22nd!!
oriolat

Another pic but the tower at night with its lights turned on.
I'm now speechless...

Sazzle

Two topics merged :)

I can remember looking at the plans and being really impressed - now its built, I'm even more impressed!

I'm a real fan of drop towers, and this one is no exception! I guess Apocalypse is a good ride, but I want to ride this :o . Its practically double the size of DMP's!

I like the themeing, a job well done 8)
Anonymous

I agree. This looks fab and truly scary. A great addition to PA! :D

Gotta be a sight to behold when guests get to ride late into the night in the summer!

:twisted: :P
oriolat

Oh yesss!
Today has been the official opening for Hurakan Condor (not to the general public but there has been the press to cover it).
The opening to the general public is tomorrow.

The VIP guests to try the ride officially have been quite weird. I'll explain... PortAventura is visited every year by lots of people from UK, from France and of course from the rest of Spain.
Then the park decided to invite a VIP Guest from all this countries.
From Spain, Julio Iglesias (the son of a very very well known spanish singer) and his girlfriend.
From France, L5 (a group of singers that came up after Popstar, a reality show).
From UK, Lucy Jo Hudson (I suppose you'll know who is she) who is an actress.

The opening has included a preshow including lots of actors, a jeep, special effects and the participation of the special guests.
Then they have been taken inside the temple where they have ridden Hurakan Condor while the show of the ride was about to be performed.

After the show the media has been allowed to ride Hurakan Condor to include their reviews on the news, newspaper, etc

Here some photos from UMWebsite:

The Mexian area has been closed to the public due the opening and hasn't been til 1:00 PM that the general public couldn't walk in the area.