General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Gashead

Please discuss Rita - Queen of Speed here.

Looking really good now ive seen her in action...first time i saw her launch she looked sluggish...but then began to get fast... i heard they were testing her different speeds with the dummies in yesterday.

Im not to sure that it fits in well with the ugland themeing as its more of a futureristic ride design, i personaly think they should have rethemed the whole area but thats just my opinion.

Looking forward to riding it anyway!

Anyone have an idea if it will have a onride photo?
Williscroft

Yes it will defornatly have an on-ride photot as theres a shop for the photos near the exit of the ride. I saw it in testing yeasterday and it looks great. I actual think it fits in very well with Ug-Land and i like the way there making it sound like its a real ralley taking place there. Its the first air time hill that im looking forward to as you shoot over it like a bull. The Hole area is very compact now as theres a new games building being built in fromt of the Ug-Swinger and its all close together and very cosy lol. I cant wait till opeing day now :D
Marshy

The smoke effects sound interesting!
St Helens - 2006 Clean Sweep Champions and so far 2007 World Club Champions.
Dom1991

I can't wait for Rita to open. I still don't know what makes it launch but hey. BTW does it go upside-down at all? Probably not with it being rally themed.
Marshy

[quote=""Dom C""]I can't wait for Rita to open. I still don't know what makes it launch but hey. BTW does it go upside-down at all? Probably not with it being rally themed.[/quote]

The power of hydraulics!
Dom1991

Oh yeah. heh oops... let me guess the air in the hyraulic chambers pushes the car down the track?
Last edited by Dom1991 on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Williscroft

Dom C, No it dosent go upside-down but it dosent need to becuase the speed that it shoots over the hills is going to be good enuff. Its faster that what i thought it would be. :D
Dom1991

I didn't think it would what with it being a racing theme.
selb

[quote=""Dom C""]Oh yeah. heh oops... let me guess the air in the hyraulic chambers pushes the car down the track?[/quote]
there is no aire in hydraulics... as air can be compressed n it would be spongey... no goot for a launch, it uses hydrolic grade oil
Jay12

I always thought it was magneticly launched like Superman in America, thats why it has them metal plates on the track. Guess not though.
Sig made by Craig - Gashead.
Marshy

[quote=""Jay14""]I always thought it was magneticly launched like Superman in America, thats why it has them metal plates on the track. Guess not though.[/quote]

Have you not seen the picture of the hydraulics room with them beasty pieces of machinery in?
Jay12

Yer i have thats when i realised it was hydralic launch. Shame really, magnetic is much smoother.
Dom1991

I still find it amazing how Rita's pretty much silence. :shock: I was expecting it to be as noisy as Nemmy.
Jay12

I said that to one of the technicains yesterday and he stated
" The track and supports are filled with sand, so vibrations arnt heared, and its alot smoother "
Dom1991

i wondered what the giant tank of sand was for.
daniel_1431

maby incase of a fire and they throw sand on it to doubt the fire?
Dom1991

No i know now it's to keep the rides as quiet as possible by storing the sand in the track and supports.
Marshy

[quote=""daniel_1431""]maby incase of a fire and they throw sand on it to doubt the fire?[/quote]

See post prior to Dom C's post to find out what the sand is for... :D
Jay12

RITA Queen Of Speed, One ride you'll never here about.
Coasternut

Jay14, the metal plates are to slow the train down incase of a roll back, this is done magnetically. If you watch just before the launch they move down, the ride launches and then they pop up again. If you look, the same metal plates are on the brake run but these don't move. The reason AT would have chosen Hydraulics over LIMs/LSMs is because magnetic launches require a lot of power and are expensive to run. And anyway, hydraulic launches are just as smooth and more efficient, look at TTD and others to see their effectiveness.