Virtual Towers Online

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Dan

Dan C wrote:Thanks to a brilliant program called Speedtree, Dave's been able to produce these awesome trees, turning what started as just a base plan, from a landscape, into a lush environment. Enjoy a couple of screenshots whilst we continue to prepare for the meet that's almost upon us now :)

Looking great Dan :) although you need to add the extra high fences that have just been installed around Air :P
Capt.Barnacles

Today's the first day of the Project Towers team meet, myself and Boz have arrived, as has coaster-inc. Our plan is to spend today just relaxed getting ready for 4 adrenaline (and geeky data collecting) filled days! We have Tree Top Quest and spending time in Cariba Creek waterpark planned for the afternoon, keep an eye on our Twitter for live updates!
Capt.Barnacles

Over the course of the trip earlier this month, I'm pleased to announce our Facebook page broke the 500 like barrier, and as a result we've put together a more concise edit of the trip vlog, to give a feel of what the trip was like, how much fun we had overall. The support shown to us from guests and staff alike at Alton Towers was immense, and from not just myself but the whole team, thank you, to everyone who's shown support, liked the page, kept up with our progress, it means so much to know we're being recognised and appreciated!

One more note, we have big plans for this project, greater than we ever imagined we'd be doing at the start. More will be revealed in it's time, but this entire project is about to become something big.

View the video here, footage and editing by Dave Ainsworth: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Capt.Barnacles

Unbelievable! In just two weeks the popularity of our page has skyrocketed, shooting straight past 600 likes tonight! Because of the suddenness of this like increase we don't have anything to show off straight away, but our next big update will come soon, hopefully to coincide with a certain re-opening. So keep your minds open, and don't forget to Smile. Always. :moj
Capt.Barnacles

On behalf of the team I can't apologise enough for our recent quiet spell, with an NL2 update coming out, the meetup and other circumstances preventing major progress, we've not had much original to show you, but rest assured, by the end of this week that will change, I promise! Watch this space!
Capt.Barnacles

Finally after a long and careful discussion with the team, we've made the decision to post our update for The Smiler! This ride has had many many hours of work put into it over the past few months, myself continuing to constantly work on the track of the ride, Boz putting lots of work into the landscaping and station, right down to making the steel framework of the building, and TheCodeMaster has spent some time working on the Marmaliser.

Of course it goes without saying this area is nowhere near being done and will remain that way for a while. We hoped to time this video with the reopening of the ride before Scarefest but since it didn't happen, we thought we'd show off what we've done anyway!

Thanks to everyone for waiting, I hope that it's been worth it, so enjoy the video, and remember to Smile. Always. :moj

The Smiler video
Aidan Lowe

Incredible work guys. I was really impressed by what I'm seeing coming from this project. Hats off to each of you!
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Sawboss

I was wondering, since you're going to be keeping the project up to date with the current state of the park, will you be keeping older versions available to download?

I know it's even more awkward cos your current version of Air isn't even finished but after the retheme it would be cool to be able to walk around the Air site as it is now in NL2 :)
Capt.Barnacles

With regards to future development, once it's released in the state we're planning to do it, it'll be completed and up to date with the park's current state. So Air's revamp will be implemented, but we can't make these changes until we see what Alton Towers actually do in real life. So we get slightly set behind current affairs with this limitation. The actual landscape of Air has been made but by the time this is done, you'll most likely not be able to see it as you know it, but after the changes.
Rita Fan

If this is available for oculus, I'd be able to go to at whenever I want! Please don't stop this project!
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
Capt.Barnacles

Well whilst I can't reveal TOO much, I can say that yes, Oculus VR support will be present, and two, you won't necessarily have to shell out lots of money to run this when it's done. :)
Rita Fan

Ah yes!
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Capt.Barnacles

An update comes from the Phalanx controlled area in Forbidden Valley, work is taking place on Nemesis: Sub-Terra by Ben, and when he's not working on trees, Dave's working hard on the Nemesis creature itself!

Last edited by Capt.Barnacles on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita Fan

Yep. Imma just going to by an oculus for this. This project is amazing, and you never fail to blow me away. Keep up the good work

Sawboss

I'm holding off getting a new monitor so I can get a 3d headset when the retail versions come out. My brother gave me his DK1 Oculus, it's pretty awesome technology but the DK1 is quite heavy and pixelated, like playing a game from the 90s. Can't wait til more games are made compatible with headsets.
Aaaaaanyway, I'm getting NL2 just for Project Towers :D
Capt.Barnacles

Well... I wouldn't rush to get NL2 in that case, again, can't reveal too much but the final release is not going to be in NoLimits 2 :)
Sawboss

Oooh interesting, a stand alone release endorsed by Towers maybe? Something like that would be awesome.
Capt.Barnacles

Secrets, all will be revealed eventually :)
Capt.Barnacles

Time to show off some of my work separate from The Smiler. Lately I've taken up the opportunity to do some SketchUp modelling, and so have managed to model various buildings across the resort, along with landscapes for two areas. Can you recognise any of these?

Liam.W

Dan C wrote:Time to show off some of my work separate from The Smiler. Lately I've taken up the opportunity to do some SketchUp modelling, and so have managed to model various buildings across the resort, along with landscapes for two areas. Can you recognise any of these?

1st pic is rehydration station next to the towers (near gardens) I think.

great work!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!